PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's WPT in Tunica

Easy E
05-14-2003, 11:55 PM
WPO on WPT.... too many acronyms!

Devilfish's early lookup call with top pair against full house, on first hand- ? This seems to be a theme- some strange moves on the first hand of WPT tournaments.
---
Phil calls with 22, SB only completes and lets BB in??
---
Devil goes all-in with AKoff after Jeremy reraised him- why not just call and trap?
---
Johnny has KQ in SB, just completes against Tommy's K2 in BB. Flop comes with an Ace, Johnny checks, Tommy's bet takes it.
Wasn't this really weak? Didn't Johnny pretty much say pre-flop "I don't want this hand"?? He can't put Tommy on an Ace.... i thought it was weak, but maybe he was playing to trap on the flop with a good one? Isn't that a bad strategy against the BB?
----
Phil raises T20K with AKs. Buddy goes all in with AKoff. Phil calls? Isn't that a bad call against a stack equal to your own, and a low stack to boot? Or was the T20 raise designed to get an all-in move from Buddy? Seemed a little poor strategy to me- do you really want to be in a calling-all-in position with anything less than big pairs?
----
Devil raises T10,000 with T9off. Phil reraises T34K with AQoff. Since the stacks were ~T900K/T200K, was this a good or bad raise amount? Devil mucked his hand.
----
Johnny seemed to make a lot of open-calls where a raise was required, such as the AQoff on the button. But how can Buddy just call in the SB with A6off here? Isn't this raise or fold?
----
Phil bets T20K in first position with something-9 on a 922rainbow flop. Johnny, who only called the BB preflop, goes all in with AQ in EP. Phil sits, thinks and mucks.
Does he really think Johnny slow-played a big pair? Of course, the guy WAS coming across as pretty passive throughout, but I thought Phil would be more aggressive here...

At least Mike Sexton talked about Phil's thought process a little bit. Vince's stupid comment? "one of our guys (home player) just bullied a superstar"
---
Next hand, Johnny makes a GREAT limp reraise with AA. The chatter and moves seemed to give the hands away though? Devil raises, Johnny asked if he wanted to do that and Devil coming back with "I raised everybody" to represent more strength than he had.. which Johnny doesn't buy. Johnny does some talking to try to draw Devil into John's all-in... but STANDS UP and blows the tell?
---
Someone commented about reading other players books (a player, then Vince I think). Who at that final table has written a poker book?
----
STRAY THOUGHT- Buddy's performance at the final table- will that give a boost to the image of "handicapped" players everywhere, as opposed to people cursing them out because they have more room needs?
---
General strategy question- You have ~T200K, opponent is about the same, leader has 1M+. Do you avoid the leader like the plague and try to double through your other opponent, or go after the leader to build your stack, since s/he will make more moves with weaker hands?
----
Phil's smaller raise preflop with AK vs. Devil's Q8s... which led to the nice checkraise all-in move by Devilfish when the Q flopped. If Phil raises more, is Q8 gone? Is AK overvalued here in strength, heads up against the chip leader, for Phil to raise the smaller amount?
-----
Phil then follows with a nice raise of T30K with AA. However, Vince was right, he should have checked the rainbow flop instead of betting.
----
Mike Sexton trying to explain Johnny's passive play, saying he was looking to move up a spot over Phil by outwaiting him: Good comment, but funny that the very next hand Johnny comes over BOTH Phil and Devilfish with A2s and gets busted out!
-----

Comments during the show:

VVP- when Phil gets quad deuces and the 4d falls on the river "The Star Spangled Banner is going through his head right now!"
No, Vince, he was cursing the 4. Phil knew he wouldn't make any money when that fell.

VVP- When Devil had AKoff, "pretty big hand" in calm voice. Earlier in tournament, one of the amateurs has AK and it's a "HUGE HAND!"

Shaina- since I knocked you on the sweater a few weeks ago, have to give you props for the blue? jacket outfit combo. Very nice.

MS before last hand, after Phil caught a decent pot to build some chips "People have come back from short stacks, Vince!" Mike, not at 2 minutes before the scheduled end of an American television show!
Then Vince gives it away with his "this is going to be it!" when Phil and Devil go all-in on the flop (straight draw vs. Phil's top pair). Not that it wasn't obvious that this was the last hand because it was 22:58 EST, but to slip up like that, Vince... bad job.

------
SUGGESTION
Mike and Vince- suggestion for the additional "how to" tournament show that's being added on. Someone should talk a little bit about how the exact same hands change value and strategy 6-handed vs. 3-handed, or early in tournament vs. the final table.

mike l.
05-15-2003, 02:12 AM
was pretty entertaining i thought. some terrible play as usual but some good bluffs as well. old man played his AA horridly. he did good by trapping but shouldve just called preflop. dumb.