PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Blind Defense

toss
09-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Villain is aggressive PF (cap AJo from the BB) and passive postflop (calldown with AK after CR'd by BB in a blind steal on a KJ93r board).

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

Turn bet good? Plan is we gett o river?

W. Deranged
09-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Toss,

1. I think the pre-flop three-bet is too much. I think I've been making a similar mistake lately in defending too loosely against raises from MP2 and MP3... often, such raises, even from aggressive players, are not steals or even close to it. Even against a pre-flop ag. A4 is not in that good shape. I think a fold here is going to be better, honestly.

2. Post-flop I think you have to bet the flop and the turn, and I think you have to be prepared to fold the turn if raised. If you get called on the river, give the player profile, I'd probably advocate check-folding the river.

Justin A
09-28-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Toss,

1. I think the pre-flop three-bet is too much. I think I've been making a similar mistake lately in defending too loosely against raises from MP2 and MP3... often, such raises, even from aggressive players, are not steals or even close to it. Even against a pre-flop ag. A4 is not in that good shape. I think a fold here is going to be better, honestly.

2. Post-flop I think you have to bet the flop and the turn, and I think you have to be prepared to fold the turn if raised. If you get called on the river, give the player profile, I'd probably advocate check-folding the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

I think a 3bet even against a button raise is pretty marginal with the 2/3 structure.

callmedonnie
09-28-2005, 05:10 PM
I don't know about the pf three bet. I know the table is short handed, but aren't there still two players villain and blinds, making his hand seem more legitimate than a blatant steal situation. If know he is passive, but is villain also a calling station? The AK call down happened to hit him. If he can fold a fold UI often enough, I try and take this one from him on the after the flop.

shant
09-28-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a 3bet even against a button raise is pretty marginal with the 2/3 structure.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'd 3-bet this against an MP2 open, but against the button is the situation I was wondering about. I would have played this hand just like this if the MP2 was switched with Button. Why does the 2/3 structure make it more marginal?

toss
09-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I do think the 3-bet is marginal from an openraise fromt he HiJack, but I think I can do this against someone who will open with a wide range of hands and play passively postflop. Then Again A4 high is not that great of a hand out of position.

My main question was whether to bet/fold or check/fold the turn. I think betting is right. Villain called the turn, the river was a blank 2 and it went check check. Villain shows AKo, MHIG, but I start to wonder about my 3-bet PF. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif