PDA

View Full Version : Racism

CIncyHR
09-28-2005, 03:10 PM
I got in a big argument today with someone who said that they would never marry a black girl. I clarified that given two girls whom he likes equally, and likes everything about, he would marry the white one but not the black one becuase he would feel uncomfortable with her. I told him him that this was blatantly racist. He got incredibly upset and told me to shut the [censored] up, and that he is the farthest thing from racist.

So it got me to thinking, was I right, or is he right in that it is not racist? seems pretty clear cut tome, though its obviously a topic to avoid in the future.

And beyond that, what IS the defintion of racism? After some thought, it seems to me that the belief that there is an inherent difference between people based on race, and that you already know two people are different before you ever meet them solely based on race is what constitutes racism.

Thoughts?

EDITS: Its nto about physical attraction. He owuldnt marry a black girl that he thought was mroe beautiful than any woman alive becuase he "wouldnt feel comfortable walknig around ion public holding her hand."

InchoateHand
09-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Hmm, I see this thread becoming a productive discussion of social constructionism, institutional/structural racism, the shift to the psychological model (a "racist" [person/act/speech] vs. social embedded patterns of dominance and inequity), the history of "races," their deployment both in the Colonies and in Western Europe, and the net effect of resiliant social sanction.

I don't really need to say "PSYCH," after that, do I?

WackityWhiz
09-28-2005, 03:15 PM
that is not racist at all. I'm not racist and I would prefer a white girl over a black one. Just a personal preference. I also agree that I would be more comfortable with a white girl. It's just the way I am I guess.

I hope i'm not alone on this.

kyro
Personally, I'm just thrilled to have the opportunity of reading another racism post.

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I see this thread becoming a productive discussion of social constructionism, institutional/structural racism, the shift to the psychological model (a "racist" [person/act/speech] vs. social embedded patterns of dominance and inequity), the history of "races," their deployment both in the Colonies and in Western Europe, and the net effect of resiliant social sanction.

I don't really need to say "PSYCH," after that, do I?

[/ QUOTE ]

f'ing BIMO

asofel
09-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Sometimes they don't properly fill the grilled stuft burritos...quite frustrating indeed....

istewart
09-28-2005, 03:17 PM
We've had this thread and I think the conclusion was that this is not racist.

spamuell
09-28-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that is not racist at all. I'm not racist and I would prefer a white girl over a black one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there you have it.

joecash
09-28-2005, 03:21 PM
doesn't make much sense - if he likes them equally, but feels uncomforatable around the black one - he can't like them equally.

CIncyHR
So disqualifying someone as a future spouse before meeting them SOLELY based on race isnt racist? Im curious and open to hear thje argument, and if i agree with it i owe the guy an apology.

Anybody got a link to the old thread?

CIncyHR
Bad wording, I meant he likes EVERY other feature of them equally.

joecash
09-28-2005, 03:24 PM
I would call it racist, but I think everyone is racist becasue you naturally prefer your own race.

WackityWhiz
09-28-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So disqualifying someone as a future spouse before meeting them SOLELY based on race isnt racist? Im curious and open to hear thje argument, and if i agree with it i owe the guy an apology.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I wouldn't marry a black chick, I'm just saying I'd prefer a white one. I think that's what he is saying. Now if you propositioned him and said "if you liked more qualities in the black girl than the white girl, which one would you choose?" and he chose the white chick... then that might be racist.

DougShrapnel
09-28-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got in a big argument today with someone who said that they would never marry a black girl. I clarified that given two girls whom he likes equally, and likes everything about, he would marry the white one but not the black one becuase he would feel uncomfortable with her. I told him him that this was blatantly racist. He got incredibly upset and told me to shut the [censored] up, and that he is the farthest thing from racist.

So it got me to thinking, was I right, or is he right in that it is not racist? seems pretty clear cut tome, though its obviously a topic to avoid in the future.

And beyond that, what IS the defintion of racism? After some thought, it seems to me that the belief that there is an inherent difference between people based on race, and that you already know two people are different before you ever meet them solely based on race is what constitutes racism.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]Clearly racist, but not clearly prejudiced. But who really cares about that. It's his life, let him marry who every he wants to, for what ever reason he wants.

Pyromaniac
09-28-2005, 03:26 PM
"marry" is a lot different than "date"...I'd say it could be, in his mind, more about *culture* than race...not any different from marrying into a Hispanic family, an Asian family, an Amish family, whatever. In-laws. Unless the hypothetical future spouse doesn't have parents/extended family...

*edit*

I guess it would help to clarify what he meant by "feel uncomfortable"...

M2d
09-28-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
doesn't make much sense - if he likes them equally, but feels uncomforatable around the black one - he can't like them equally.

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe the comfortability deficit is equaled out by the boob size differential?

CIncyHR
09-28-2005, 03:30 PM
To calrify, he said there are NO circumstances in which he would marry a black girl. None.;

09-28-2005, 03:31 PM
This isn't racism at all you nit. Go away. Don't ask your friend stupid questions then lambast him.

CIncyHR
09-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Thats exactly what I told him. Not prejudiced, tried to explaint he difference. He wasnt having it and got SUPER upset. I just want to make sure I wasnt crazy out of line.

FouTight
09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
There is nothing wrong with preferring a particular physical feature of someone.

Say all of this stays the same, and one girl is bald and there other has beautiful hair (color of your choosing)...

who's going to take baldy? not most people, because it's a physical attraction thing.

what your saying is, all else equal, he's more attracted to the white girl. I see nothing wrong with this, and tend to agree, some races I don't find as physically attractive as the others.

CIncyHR
09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I didnt ask him. he asked me first.

CIncyHR
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Its not about physical attraction. He wouldnt marry a black girl if he thought she was the most beautful woman in the world.

WackityWhiz
09-28-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with preferring a particular physical feature of someone.

Say all of this stays the same, and one girl is bald and there other has beautiful hair (color of your choosing)...

who's going to take baldy? not most people, because it's a physical attraction thing.

what your saying is, all else equal, he's more attracted to the white girl. I see nothing wrong with this, and tend to agree, some races I don't find as physically attractive as the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what I was trying to say, but I suck today

maybe i'll go eat some hay and lay by the bay.. whatya say

DougShrapnel
09-28-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats exactly what I told him. Not prejudiced, tried to explaint he difference. He wasnt having it and got SUPER upset. I just want to make sure I wasnt crazy out of line.

[/ QUOTE ] Nah you are right, and he is probably a pusswar. Him getting super upset makes it likely that he is actualy both.

CIncyHR
09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
I iwsh I knew what pusswar meant. I probably would have laughed.

HopeydaFish
09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To calrify, he said there are NO circumstances in which he would marry a black girl. None.;

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be that he's just very particular about what he finds attractive, and dark skin is a turn-off for him.

I find it odd that he would use the word "Never", though. People ususally don't talk in absolutes unless they have very strong convictions about a subject.

HopeydaFish
09-28-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not about physical attraction. He wouldnt marry a black girl if he thought she was the most beautful woman in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

What were his reasons then?

M2d
09-28-2005, 03:43 PM
I find it amusing that a bunch of internet superheros who've likely never experienced racism first hand are quick to tell everyone what is and isn't racism.

M2d
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe a belief that black people are inferior to whatever race he is? in a non-racist way, of course.

HopeydaFish
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it amusing that a bunch of internet superheros who've likely never experienced racism first hand are quick to tell everyone what is and isn't racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. So we're not even allowed to have an opinion on the subject. I see.

HopeydaFish
09-28-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]
maybe a belief that black people are inferior to whatever race he is? in a non-racist way, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It's not that he hates black people, he just thinks they're sub-human.

FouTight
09-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm begining to think OP is racist...

think about it.

DougShrapnel
09-28-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its nto about physical attraction. He owuldnt marry a black girl that he thought was mroe beautiful than any woman alive becuase he "wouldnt feel comfortable walknig around ion public holding her hand."

[/ QUOTE ] Clearly he is a pusswar (pussy).

M2d
09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Ah. So we're not even allowed to have an opinion on the subject. I see.

[/ QUOTE ]
everyone's allowed to have an opinion. the ones who steadfastly stick to their original assumption without considering the possibilities of other perspectives from people far more experienced in the subject matter are amusing to me.

HopeydaFish
09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I just remembered a friend of mine in University had dated a black girl for awhile. Things were great when they'd talk on the phone, or hang out, but things weren't so great when he was around her friends or family. He didn't fit in with them, there was a definite cultural clash. He'd go to parties with her and he's be the only white guy there, and everyone would get quiet and stop talking and stare at him when he'd enter the room. They'd make jokes about him being white, would ask the girl he was dating why she was dating a white guy *right in front of him*, etc... Many guys would be able to overlook all this and have it slide off their backs, but my friend was already very self-conscious and insecure, so he ended up breaking it off with her, even though he liked her very much. He just couldn't foresee a future with her if he was always going to feel like an oddball whenever *he* was the minority in the room.

Pyromaniac
09-28-2005, 03:55 PM
how did she feel about it?

jba
09-28-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that is not racist at all. I'm not racist and I would prefer a white girl over a black one. Just a personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't understand what the word "racist" means.

This is definitely racial discrimination which is a form of racism.

what you guys are answering is really:

"racial discrimination (ie racism) in the area of hiring for a job, allowing into schools, preferential treatment from the goverment, etc, is agreed to be wrong in our society. What about racial discrimination in who you choose to date?"

MrMon
09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
With age, comes wisdom.

The OP is clearly between two people with little mileage. Those of us who have a few miles and have actually been married know that the choice of who to marry is rarely that simple.

"I like her and she's hot" do not add up to a successful marriage. A successful one night stand, maybe.

HopeydaFish
09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how did she feel about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that he never expressed his concerns to her, or if he did, he downplayed them. It's hard to tell your black girlfriend "I feel uncomfortable in a room full of black people", and it's generally not a good idea to tell *any* girlfriend "I don't like your friends". I think he just gave her a standard breakup line rather than going into details.

jdl22
09-28-2005, 04:00 PM
If the guy said he would not marry any black girl, in other words he wouldn't marry a girl simply because she's black, and didn't follow it up with something like "because my mom is racist and wouldn't accept it and I couldn't go through that kind of conflict" then he's clearly racist.

Pyromaniac
09-28-2005, 04:03 PM
sure, yeah, that makes total sense. Just wondering what it was like from her perspective...like when they'd ask her why she was dating a white guy (in front of him), what her response was.

Edge34
09-28-2005, 04:06 PM
The concept all the people yelling "RACISM!!!" are missing is the part where he said "all other things being equal" from the original post. Of course, the OP can't even keep the things his "buddy said" in line, so who really knows whats up?

All other things equal in two chicks: Personal preference

fingokra
09-28-2005, 04:07 PM
It is racist. It is prejudice. So what. If you believe you aren't racist and prejudice to some degree you are fooling yourself. At least this is true for everyone, I have ever met.

JaBlue
09-28-2005, 04:13 PM
If your friend don't wanna marry niggas then your friend don't wanna marry niggas. Who cares if its racist or not? Let him be.

jedi
09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't see how it can't be racist. There is one thing and one thing only about why this guy wouldn't marry the black girl. It's clearly racist, treating her differently on the basis of race.

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I would date a black female if the opportunity arose I think. That said...

This is a stupid assumption in general. If someone finds black women unattractive because of their skin color, it isn't 'evil' or 'ignorant'. If you want to call it racism, then you're really diluting the term.

The example of a bald woman goes with this well. That is like saying that the guy who chooses to avoid the bald woman is just as 'the racist' guy who chooses the white lady.

What you're doing, therefore, is diluting the term 'racist'. You are making it seem like it's just as silly as the person who is a 'baldist' (or whatever the term)....And I think it is clear that 'racism' should not be equated with someone who simply has a personal preference of a lady with hair on her head.

All in all....I struggle to call this example racism, and if you do, then your term has lost meaning of what is really important about the meaning of the word.

All of that said, it sounds like the OP's friend wasn't similar to this example. Depending on his motives--which none of us can truly know--he may or may not be racist.

ddubois
09-28-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
someone who said that they would never marry a black girl ... he is the farthest thing from racist.

[/ QUOTE ]
The latter is obviously not true given the former. The "farthest thing from racist" would certainly include the willingness to marry outside racial boundarties. I can't imagine there being any dispute on this point. I'm not going to get involved in the semantic arguement about what being racist means, nor your friend's status therein, but clearly he is not the farthest thing.

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's clearly racist, treating her differently on the basis of race.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this type of racism is inherent in everyone. That is all there is to it. The cultural differences alone often are a cause of that fact. That doesn't mean that everyone who is 'racist' is evil about it. I think it is perfectly fine and natural to have 'prejudice' opinions about other races. We have prejudice opinions about ANYONE that has some different feature from us. Prejudice and racism don't have to be bad things, they exist and always will. It is just a matter of not becoming one of "those racists" or what not.
HTH

jba
09-28-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a stupid assumption in general. If someone finds black women unattractive because of their skin color, it isn't 'evil' or 'ignorant'. If you want to call it racism, then you're really diluting the term.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with some of what you said but

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the above is racial prejudice -- and racist -- and there is no way around it. He is refusing to marry for exactly one reason, which is race. this is racist.

I am not making a moral judgement here just a semantic one.

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the above is racial prejudice -- and racist -- and there is no way around it. He is refusing to marry for exactly one reason, which is race. this is racist.

I am not making a moral judgement here just a semantic one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand what you're saying. I did make note that the OP seems not to be included with what I was talking about, but the situation that came up...I thought was a bit misleading considering the generalization...

I see your point though.

CIncyHR
09-28-2005, 05:45 PM
I just want to clarify the person;s original statement that he would never marry a balck person:

1. He would never do it under any circtumstance.
2. Its not a matter of physical attraction, becuase there are blakc girls he finds attractive. He would even date them, but never marry.
3. He would emphatically rule out marriage to any black woman BEFORE meeting, speaking, dating, or spending time with them.
4. This is not based on religious or socioeconomic factors, as he was just as certain he would never marry a person who mtached him perfectly.
5. He does have MANY non-white friends who he treats equally to his whit eones., He is clearly not prejudiced, but fails to understand the difference between racism and prejudice.

Now a few things about me:
1. yes, I'm only 20.. Ive never been married. In fact, Ive only been in one relationship,a nd it was a long distance one. Im not making a statement about marriage. I have no idea what it takes in order to marry someone. That is part of why I asked the question. I was really open to opinions about why thsi ISNT racism. I felt awful after the conversation becuase he took great offense (mostly becuase he thought i was syaing he is prejudiced) and was wondering if I owed him an apology for calling him something he is not.
2. In general, I find white women mroe attractive than black women (possibly due to my lack of exposure to africna americans). However, my mind is nto clsoed ot marrying outside of my race if I ever met someone special.
3. I am totally open to opinions here. I would be OK with fidning out I was wrong, I just havent seen a convinceing argument for it yet. I accept the possibility that some white people just aren't physically attracted to blacks, but that is not the point we are debating here.
4. I would never claim to be completely free of racism. For God's sake I grew up in a town with like 7 black people. There are so many thnigs I have never experienced that I have to believe that somewhere inside of me are some ignorant views that I can change someday.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Roy Stalin
09-28-2005, 05:50 PM
These threads always get off track because no one knows the proper definition of rasicm. As another poster pointed out, so many of societies ills have been incorrectly attributed to racism that the word has lost its meaning. That fact can be seen in the ever evolving definition of the word in the dictionary. Check out an old dictionary sometime and see just how much. Just using the word once in an arguement with someone basically ensures that no reasonable discussion can take place afterwards.

That said, the older and I think proper, definition of racism is the belief in the genetic superiority or inferiority of a group of people based on their race. It seems to me that your friend doesn't believe that blacks are inherently inferior. Most people incorrectly use racist when they mean to use biased or prejudiced. Those two words are different from each other as well and mean very different things than racist.

I'd say your friend is neither racist or predjudiced (as long as you agreed on the terms of the question he couldn't have prejudged anything).

If your friend doesn't think he could handle marrying a black girl, that means he has some bias against marrying a black girl. That is all.

Roy

applejuicekid
09-28-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The example of a bald woman goes with this well. That is like saying that the guy who chooses to avoid the bald woman is just as 'the racist' guy who chooses the white lady.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very wrong. Being bald is unattractive because it is often the sign of an odler person or someone who is sick thus wouldn't make a good mate. Skin color on the other hand is not. If someone finds a certain skin color unattractive, it is "ignorant" and pretty much the definition of racism.

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very wrong. Being bald is unattractive because it is often the sign of an older person or someone who is sick thus wouldn't make a good mate. Skin color on the other hand is not. If someone finds a certain skin color unattractive, it is "ignorant" and pretty much the definition of racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if someone chooses to be bald on their own will (a woman)...What is your case there? You're changing the circumstances (creating age/sickness) to try and support your point. That is fallable. I don't think finding someone unattractive based on skin tones is racist. My girlfriend is pretty white (see: not tan) and if someone didn't find her attractive because she wasn't of a darker tone, I wouldn't call them racist but you would, interesting.

I saw the points made before. Your point, however, is invisible to me.

-Skeme-
09-28-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the conclusion was that this is not racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just shallow.

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
{snip}

If your friend doesn't think he could handle marrying a black girl, that means he has some bias against marrying a black girl. That is all.

Roy

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post in its entirety. In many cases the people here are calling him racist for the wrong reasons. The support for their stances is poor and misleading. I wouldn't say this, but I could understand if someone did

"I wouldn't ever marry a deaf and blind quadripalegic person."

In that case it would have more to do with living circumstances and it is in no way racist. Is it a foolish comment? I think so, but I wouldn't blame someone for saying it because it is their opinion. It does not make them evil (which I think "the bad kind" of racism is evil...).

That all said, my example is pertinent to this topic because it goes to show how some people here are taking the 'racist' aspects out of context in this situation a little bit.

Responses?

jedi
09-28-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this type of racism is inherent in everyone. That is all there is to it. The cultural differences alone often are a cause of that fact. That doesn't mean that everyone who is 'racist' is evil about it. I think it is perfectly fine and natural to have 'prejudice' opinions about other races. We have prejudice opinions about ANYONE that has some different feature from us. Prejudice and racism don't have to be bad things, they exist and always will. It is just a matter of not becoming one of "those racists" or what not.
HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it exists doesn't make it right. I accept that racism is out there, but it doesn't mean that I have to turn a blind eye to it when asked about it candidly. Cultural differences certainly do exist, but in the specific OP's situation, it's clearly racist. How is it not? The OP's friend is making a judgement on someone else based solely on their skin color. This has nothing to do with cultural differences.

It's quite ignorant to have prejudicial opinions of other races. Just because most of the world is ignorant doesn't make it right.

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because it exists doesn't make it right. I accept that racism is out there, but it doesn't mean that I have to turn a blind eye to it when asked about it candidly. Cultural differences certainly do exist, but in the specific OP's situation, it's clearly racist. How is it not? The OP's friend is making a judgement on someone else based solely on their skin color. This has nothing to do with cultural differences.

It's quite ignorant to have prejudicial opinions of other races. Just because most of the world is ignorant doesn't make it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

So my question to you is, if someone is not attracted to a female becuase she isn't as tanned as another female (both Caucasian 'technically') is that person racist? And if so, why is that ignorant of them?

Look, I do agree with your assessment in part. I hate turning blindly from it too, but I don't think this situation is cut and dry racism like so many posters here want to say. They're ignoring a lot of unknown facts.

CIncyHR
09-28-2005, 07:22 PM
This has no relation to the OP. The person I was talknig to wasnt concerned with actual color of the skin. It's the idea of being "black". He has been attracted to blakc girls before,

jedi
09-28-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So my question to you is, if someone is not attracted to a female becuase she isn't as tanned as another female (both Caucasian 'technically') is that person racist? And if so, why is that ignorant of them?

Look, I do agree with your assessment in part. I hate turning blindly from it too, but I don't think this situation is cut and dry racism like so many posters here want to say. They're ignoring a lot of unknown facts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears that the OP's situation IS cut and dry, given the facts. It's not that the OP's friend thinks that black women aren't attractive, but that he won't even consider marrying her because of his idea of her race. He doesn't treat her like a human being on her own merits, but simply lumps her in another category, based SOLELY on her race.

If you just don't find other people attractive, then that's fine. I'm sure you don't find certain people of your own race attractive for that matter, but to just lump people up into a group like that is what I'm trying to get at.

[ QUOTE ]

This has no relation to the OP. The person I was talknig to wasnt concerned with actual color of the skin. It's the idea of being "black". He has been attracted to blakc girls before,

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, well this doesn't really change much either. He's basically saying that he won't be with her because she's of a different race. The implication is that black women are inferior to him. I honestly can't see how anyone can spin this as not being racism. It's not as bad as lynching someone or genocide, but it's from the same motivation.

jba
09-28-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just want to clarify the person;s original statement that he would never marry a balck person:

2. Its not a matter of physical attraction, becuase there are blakc girls he finds attractive. He would even date them, but never marry.
3. He would emphatically rule out marriage to any black woman BEFORE meeting, speaking, dating, or spending time with them.
4. This is not based on religious or socioeconomic factors, as he was just as certain he would never marry a person who mtached him perfectly.
5. He does have MANY non-white friends who he treats equally to his whit eones., He is clearly not prejudiced, but fails to understand the difference between racism and prejudice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say I know an old time white dude from the burbs who owns a large apartment complex and is renting it out. He has decided he would never rent an apartment to a black person:

2. Its not a matter of quality of person, becuase there are blakc people with good personalities. He would even hang out with them, but never rent.
3. He would emphatically rule out renting to any black person BEFORE meeting, speaking, interviewing, or spending time with them.
4. This is not based on religious or socioeconomic factors, as he was just as certain he would never rent to a person who mtached him perfectly.
5. He does have MANY non-white friends who he treats equally to his whit eones., He is clearly not prejudiced (??????), but fails to understand the difference between racism and prejudice.

fingokra
09-28-2005, 08:47 PM
you are showing your own prejudice

how did this guy imply that another race is inferior

I believe you simply used your own prejudice to infer it

He won't marry anyone from another race because of the hassles it will cause by the way society judges him,them. Is this prejudice. Yep. Is it racist. Yep. Is he implying that another race is inferior. Nope. You did that all on your on

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are showing your own prejudice

how did this guy imply that another race is inferior

I believe you simply used your own prejudice to infer it

He won't marry anyone from another race because of the hassles it will cause by the way society judges him,them. Is this prejudice. Yep. Is it racist. Yep. Is he implying that another race is inferior. Nope. You did that all on your on

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to reply with this in mind. At no point did he say it is because of inferiorness. jedi just wanted to--again--change the topic from what it was to try and support his statement.

It may not have anything to do with being inferior, and for that matter, it may have to do with society. He couldn't marry a black woman because he couldn't live with having to subject himself to the ridicule and annoying aspects that society would place upon him. I hardly think this is "the same motivation" that those involved in genocide have. Again, I do not follow your ideas jedi, and I'm trying to....