PDA

View Full Version : Phil Gordon's Tell

Officer Farva
09-28-2005, 01:59 PM
I saw the Mike Matusow iterview in Card Player last month. In it, he mentioned that Phil Gordon had an obvious tell, but refused to indicate what it was. Anyone know? I apologize in adavanced if this has already been discussed.

Article is here:

Mike Matusow Interview (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=14935&m_id=65571)

KramerTM
09-28-2005, 04:10 PM
Supposedly he folds when he has a bad hand. Not sure if this is true, as I have never played with Gordon.

Saddlepoint
09-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Kevin Pollack means total air. Dave Foley means a hand.

UATrewqaz
09-28-2005, 05:57 PM
I find it sad that this guy has won millions of dollars playing poker but is still millions in debt because he's obviously a compulsize gambler.

So much talent, so little discipline... sadly this isn't rare.

KramerTM
09-28-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it sad that this guy has won millions of dollars playing poker but is still millions in debt because he's obviously a compulsize gambler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? Could you link me to some sources that detail this?

TomHimself
09-28-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]wow ur dumb hes talking about matasow

KramerTM
09-28-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]wow ur dumb hes talking about matasow

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, and he wasn't ambiguous at all. Boy, I am dumb! Hope you feel smarter now.

JackWhite
09-28-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are dumb..I mean the post was about Phil Gordon, naturally you should have known that a guy was talking about Matusow. So obvious.

KramerTM
09-28-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you are dumb..I mean the post was about Phil Gordon, naturally you should have known that a guy was talking about Matusow. So obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CourtesyFlush
09-28-2005, 10:19 PM
If you know someone has a tell, it's idiotic to tell anyone about it, even if you don't say specifically what it is. If Phil finds out that he said that, I'm sure he will watch himself on video until he finds out what it is and fixes it, or will use it to his advantage against MM.

Officer Farva
09-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Well I agree with your first statement, that it would be idiotic to let an opponent know if he had a tell (unless, of course, you were playing against a Russian mafia member and only had until morning to make good).

But maybe Phil Gordon KNOWS he has a tell and can't stop it. Maybe thats why he never wins bracelets? I, for example, can't stop myself from shaking a little when I pick up monster hands. I'm getting better at it, but its not like I don't know about. The point about a lot of tells is that they are an instant, physiological response to the stress and emotion created by certain holdings in certain situations.

And as much as I could see Matusow writing off someone like Phil Gordon as some guy who's easy to beat, he seems too brutally honest to be lying about this one. Either that, or he was being incredibly sarcastic.

09-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Normally I think most of what Matasow says is just for effect but for those of you who have not played against Phil or watched him play, pull out your WPT videos to get an idea of what Matasow is referring to. Mike is right!

unfrgvn
09-29-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm gonna help us both out.

[ QUOTE ]

I, for example, can't stop myself from shaking a little when I pick up monster hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't stop from shaking a little when I'm bluffing like a maniac.

Now they won't know if they are up against you or me. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DarthIgnurnt
09-29-2005, 01:34 PM
I've played with Gordon in tournaments before, and his tell is fairly obvious. When he has a monster hand, he pulls his shirt up over his head and gingerly rubs his nipples.

Wait ... nevermind ... that's me.

Jordan Olsommer
09-29-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've played with Gordon in tournaments before, and his tell is fairly obvious. When he has a monster hand, he pulls his shirt up over his head and gingerly rubs his nipples.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can only pray that Evelyn Ng picks up that same tell.

Quicksilvre
09-29-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't know. Maybe he's just making it up, trying to psych him out.

johnnybeef
09-29-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw the Mike Matusow iterview in Card Player last month. In it, he mentioned that Phil Gordon had an obvious tell, but refused to indicate what it was. Anyone know? I apologize in adavanced if this has already been discussed.

Article is here:

Mike Matusow Interview (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_magazine/archives/showarticle.php?a_id=14935&m_id=65571)

[/ QUOTE ]

nice try Mr. Gordon /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pindawg
09-29-2005, 06:23 PM
In the same article he said Greg had a tell that he picked up on as well.

Somehow I think it's just him being a little to overconfident in his reading abilities.

AceHigh
09-29-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the same article he said Greg had a tell that he picked up on as well.

Somehow I think it's just him being a little to overconfident in his reading abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it seems "the Mouth" thinks he has picked up a tell on every player he ever played with.

09-29-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think she's not hot at all?

Leonardo
09-30-2005, 02:10 AM
It is possible that Gordon has a tell, but having tells isnt as bad as it sounds, if you know about it. For example, a guy posts below that he shakes a bit when he has a monster. I have seen this tell a lot. I have it too. But, I also deliberately shake on non-big hands, bluffs especially. It is not difficult to deliberately shake, or do whatever it is that you are supposed to do as a tell. If you are aware of something that you do, just deliberately do it other times to throw any observant players off.
I find the same thing with playing ultra-tight. If you play ultra-tight, people can read you easier. But if they are intelligent to have picked up on it and do adjust accordingly, it becomes very easy to tell what they have too. Having a tell, or playing in a way that makes it easier for players to tell what you have is only a problem if you are not aware of it. Become aware of it and then every now and then just use that to pick up a pot here or there with a stone cold bluff. As long as you use it sparingly, you have an advantage, and the opponent at the same time THINKS they have an advantage. It doesnt get better than that.

Joey Legend
09-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Yeah, whenever he's bluffing Phil reminds Mike about all the money he owes him.

MortalWombat
10-03-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think she's not hot at all?

[/ QUOTE ]Some people do, some people don't. If she pulls her shirt over her head, it satisfies both camps.

10-03-2005, 05:16 PM
I read the interview, too, and I have to say, I picked up a tell on MM. Something about the compilation of his words gave a lot away to me. Sure, I wasn't there in person, but sometimes you don't have to be.

What I gathered is that MM noticed that Phil, upon glancing down at his hole cards, will either immediately look left, or right, depending on the strength of his hand. MM deciphered that PG looks right when he's strong, and left when he has junk. This tell only helps MM if Gordon is bluffing PF with junk. Other than that he can assume PG will raise his "strong hand" anyway. Plus if MM is ahead of Gordon to act, he can fold nominal hands when he sees PG glance to the right.

Just what I gathered from the interview. My tell may be off.

10-03-2005, 05:30 PM
I have a very small tell. I usually crap myself when I flop quads, but that is just me.

bookie socks
10-05-2005, 10:05 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/GlencoeBoy/avatar1.jpg <<<< I want to fvck her.

10-05-2005, 03:12 PM
...but...but you don't even know what color her eyes are...you...don't even know about her personality...

Sponger15SB
10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/GlencoeBoy/avatar1.jpg <<<< I want to fvck her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like a 5 year old.