PDA

View Full Version : McNabb needs surgery

09-28-2005, 01:38 PM
But will try to play through it.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2174821)

Article does not mention recovery time for surgery, if he is unable to play through it. The way he has looked in the pocket the past few weeks, I'm not sure he will make it through the year.

StevieG
09-28-2005, 01:42 PM
The handling of this injury had better be smarter than how they treated Akers.

How the hell do you sign a backup kicker during the week but not put him on the roster?

Detmer and McMahon better take a lot of practice snaps.

Soul Daddy
09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
[censored]!

Did I miss a crucial piece of info in the article or was it just not mentioned? How long will he be out if he elects to have the surgery?

brettbrettr
09-28-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored]!

Did I miss a crucial piece of info in the article or was it just not mentioned? How long will he be out if he elects to have the surgery?

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically, 6-8 weeks. Hence, the I'll play through it thing.

brettbrettr
09-28-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, this is unfounded. If he had the sports hernia, this would be the case. I have no idea about this injury and recovery time though.

Soul Daddy
09-28-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, this is unfounded. If he had the sports hernia, this would be the case. I have no idea about this injury and recovery time though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's just assume this is a comparable time table for discussion's sake. I can see the merits of taking 6-8 weeks recovery. It's just going to suck if he has to shut it down in the middle of the season.

I know his stats looked great on Sunday, and they gritted that game out. But it probably wouldn't have been close if he had been able to hit the myriad of wide open receivers he missed in the first half. The injury was clearly affecting his accuracy.

brettbrettr
09-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Given the state of the NFC I don't think it would be awful for them to shut him down. Yes, it would sort of suck, but they could prob do .500 without him. Here's what it looks like:

Oct 2 @Kansas City 4:15pm 704
Oct 9 @Dallas 4:15pm 713
Week 6 BYE
Oct 23 San Diego 1:00pm 707
Oct 30 @Denver 4:15pm 713
Nov 6 @Washington 8:30pm
Nov 14 Dallas 9:00pm
Nov 20 @N.Y. Giants 1:00pm 712

Actually, that looks sort of tough. I don't think you can say *any* divisional game is a gimme, though I think they'll prob beat Wash and NYG with Koy. But playing in KC and Denver is tough, even with McNabb.

Eh, if I were Reid I'd prob want him to play...

Soul Daddy
09-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Yeah. I'm basically saying it will suck if they have to shut him down in week 10 as opposed to right now, therefore putting his playoff status in jeopardy.

But yeah, that stretch looks a lot tougher now than it did when the season started. I suppose you at least give him a shot to play through it. There's still plenty of time to take care of it if necessary.

holeplug
09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I hope they actually start to run the football more now. Andy Reid is really starting to lose control of his play calling with 45+ passes in 3 of the last 4 Eagles games.

brettbrettr
09-28-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm basically saying it will suck if they have to shut him down in week 10 as opposed to right now, therefore putting his playoff status in jeopardy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew what you meant and I totally agree. But you can't take making the playoffs for granted, I guess. I think Reid will watch him very, very closely this week. If he struggles with either the injury or the pain I suspect he'll shut him down. Thing is they can make the playoffs without him but they have no shot of winning the super bowl without him.

brettbrettr
09-28-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope they actually start to run the football more now. Andy Reid is really starting to lose control of his play calling with 45+ passes in 3 of the last 4 Eagles games.

[/ QUOTE ]

They consider a lot of those Westbrook short passes "runs." And I don't think "lose control" is the right phrase for Reid's play calling. I don't think there's a better play caller in the league.

wonderwes
09-30-2005, 11:45 PM
The multiple listed injuries for McNabb are quite bad. He will constantly be playing in pain, and his performance will be lacking due to them. Its better to be healthy late in the season than hobbling.

Don't be surprised if you see Mcnabb having to come of the field in future weeks.