PDA

View Full Version : What happened to this forum?

transmitt
09-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Just read my 5th should I fold KK? post on the top couple of pages and figured out why I haven't been reading much lately. Not implying that my posts are not ridiculous, because frankly they are, but happened here?

Where is MLG, Sirio is still around, A_Plus, Che, 2005 (Gavin), CSC, and all of my other favorite posters?

Indiana
09-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Ive also noticed this. Posters like MLG, strassa2, ZeeJustin. Where did they go?

Indy

whiskeytown
09-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Sirio and 2005 just did the hand analysis that was the sticky up top last week - same with Sossman.

RB

IHateKeithSmart
09-28-2005, 12:03 PM
I think some folks are in Aruba as well.

fnurt
09-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Perhaps they are all at the tables running over players who fold KK.

Brad F.
09-28-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps they are all at the tables running over players who fold KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh

Exitonly
09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
they still post occasionaly..

and theres still a decent amount of good hand analysis that goes on. and it's not like there wasn't 'Should i fold KK here' when they were posting to.

And there are always new posters joining, and who's to say they aren't as good as the ones that haven't been around.

SossMan
09-28-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't know about the others, but I have been busy dominating fantasy football.

Brad F.
09-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Not me... first two picks were Jamal Lewis and Kevin Jones.

I rule.

Brad

Sam T.
09-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I recently went through a similar reading holiday because, as one poster put it, the noise-to-signal ratio is too high.

So what changed?

First, I think you (and I) moved along the learning curve. You don't need to read a "fold KK pre-flop?" discussion, but obviously there are people on the list who do, and that's okay. There's nothing wrong with not knowing much, so long as you are willing to learn.

Second, and I can't document this, but my sense is that there are a lot more people on the list than there were even a few months ago, and most of them are (by definition) newbies. With time they will, a) get better and stop asking if they should fold KK pre-flop; or b) lose their bankroll and go away. So it is, in part, a cyclical thing.

(Note: I do sometimes wonder if there is now a super-top secret discussion board, exclusively for more seasoned players. I mean it's not as if SossMan just quit thinking about and discussing poker, right? If this is the case, could someone PM me the link? I won't even post, I just want to read.)

The curious thing is that I saw a similar transition take place over in the STT forum. 18 months ago, it seemed like it was me, Jason Strasser and a couple of other guys. It was like having Jason as my own personal coach, and it was freakin' great. (I think Jason is now spending more time in ring games, and posting in those fora.)

In any case, I'm not sure that much can be to change the board. Newbies have to learn, and this is where they do it. I do think that Lloyd deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom for his work in reviving the Board, but short of establishing a group with restricted posting privileges (but open for public reading), I don't know what else can be done.

(One other suggestion, which is kind of a no-brainer, but I'll put it out there. Look for threads started by posters you respect, or with a lot of answers. The "fold KK pre-flop" posts tend to die a quick and merciful death.)

I'm with you, bro'.

Sam

09-28-2005, 01:17 PM
sorry, but my 'should I fold kk preflop' thread was very rational. Look at this from my perspective: I know he's a good solid player and I assume he plays similarly to the average 2+2er. I consider myself to be of a similar skill level to an average 2+2er, and I would never make the play he did, given the circumstances, with anything but AA. I asked if that was the case for anybody else, and found that solid 2+2ers do make that play with QQ or AK. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that question however, given that I would not make the play with anything but AA.

subzero
09-28-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and theres still a decent amount of good hand analysis that goes on. and it's not like there wasn't 'Should i fold KK here' when they were posting to.

And there are always new posters joining, and who's to say they aren't as good as the ones that haven't been around.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for this post. I'm new to this forum, but people seem nicer here than in SSNL.

KneeCo
09-28-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm pretty sure I am solely responsible for dragging this forum into the trash.

ansky451
09-28-2005, 03:01 PM
ZJ hasnt posted in a while, but looking at the first few pages of posts, theres ones by... MLG, Soss, Bugstud, Sirio, Strassa, and ANSKY451.

A lot of people are at Aruba too. Maybe the ratio of noise is higher, but there are still a lot of great post(ers) still around. Don't be so pessimistic (spelling?). Even the "Bad" posts arent usually bad, just not everyone is at the same level-- so there may be very good "should I fold QQ here?" etc posts, which for many would be easy decisions, and others it would be difficult.

Stop hating, everybody sucked once upon a time.

Exitonly
09-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Even the 'bad' posts often manage to get some good discussion into them.

Sluss
09-28-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the others, but I have been busy dominating fantasy football.

[/ QUOTE ] I've been busy giving Soss fantasy football advice. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SossMan
09-28-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean it's not as if SossMan just quit thinking about and discussing poker, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think and talk about it, i just don't play so much. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skoal2k4
09-28-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

only because you aren't in my league /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Che
09-28-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't have time to read every thread in this forum, so when I check in I scan who has posted first and then I might go back and read the titles of the threads.

I don't think I have ever logged on and not seen a single post from one of the best players in the forum on the front page. All of us (good and bad) vary the frequency with which we post, but there always seems to be at least one or two good posters doing a lot of posting at any one time.

For example, Strassa has been posting a lot more lately. I read everything he posts. When he gets bored with us again, someone else will do a lot of posting.

I think the board has been pretty normal lately, actually. Just keep reading...the golden nuggets are still surfacing daily.

Later,
Che