PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Quads--Play Passive or Aggressive?

09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
4/8 hold'em at Bellagio, loose and aggressive with approximately 5-7 players seeing each flop. I am UTG w/ 2c 2s. I limp, three other players limp, button raises, blinds fold. I call, limpers call.

Flop:
2h 2d A?

I check, checked around to button who bets. I call, 2 limpers fold, 1 limper calls.

Turn: don't remember exact suits, 4 flush is possible.
2 2 A? 3?

I check, limper checks. Button bets, I raise, limper folds, button calls.

River: no flush possible
2h 2d A? 3? 7?

I bet, button calls. Button does not show cards.

First off, I apologize for the formatting in this post, as it is my first.

Other than my questionable pre-flop hand selection out of position, how was my play? I've thought this hand thru a million times-- I keep thinking maybe I should have called the turn and check-raised the river in order to keep customers with the nuts. The button was clearly being the aggressor, and that last limper would've surely called one bet on the turn. Sklansky et al suggest jamming the flop with quads in the low limit book, but my opponents were pretty cagey. Input?? Thanks.

Fat Nicky
09-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Bet the flop. Bet the Turn. these players will call you with any pair, they will raise w/an A. I think you missed lots of value here.

sean c
09-28-2005, 10:25 AM
You really need to bet the flop here with so many players between you and the pre flop raiser especially with the ace on the board.

sean c
09-28-2005, 10:29 AM
This is an easy limp pre flop with this many players seeing the flop.

Octopus
09-28-2005, 10:29 AM
1. How you play flopped quads is not the best thing to be worrying about. Think about another hand.

2. I'd bet/call on the flop and then not stop again and hope someone has an ace or picks up a draw on the turn.

09-28-2005, 10:31 AM
You need to bet because betting disguises your hand, while a check raise on 4th st. screams "I have a two!" You'll likely get raised on the flop. Call, and donk the turn. If anybody has anything, they're likely to raise you. If you want to get tricky, the time to do it would be a check raise on the river after taking the donk line, but I'd probably still just bet out the river, I'm unimaginative like that.

And since when are 4/8 players cagey? Bet it, they'll never see it coming. BTW, in games like this, 22 UTG is fine.

09-28-2005, 10:42 AM
I know that worrying about how I play quads isn't that important, but I see this as an opportunity to learn how to maximize my winnings with the nuts (regardless of what that hand is.)

lozen
09-28-2005, 10:45 AM
nothing wrong with preflop with over 5 seeing the flop as when you hit trips you get paid off. Bet whole way.

sean c
09-28-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know that worrying about how I play quads isn't that important, but I see this as an opportunity to learn how to maximize my winnings with the nuts (regardless of what that hand is.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Against bad loose and aggressive players betting and raising is always a great way to get max value from a very strong hand.

krimson
09-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Your position relative to the Pre-flop raiser means you should lead this flop. He will likely raise with the Ace and you then trap field for lots of bets. c/r'ing is just facing the entire field with 2 cold.