PDA

View Full Version : When to read HPFAP?

bnorthro
09-28-2005, 10:10 AM
I've seen a few posts these past few days about conflicting advice from HPFAP and SSHE - yeah, I konw they were written for different types of games. I've read SSHE about 5 times, almost done with Weighing the Odds in Holdem by King Yao, and I'm thinking about which book to pick up next. I'm steadily progressing through the limits (2/4 right now), and I was wondering at what stage it'd be most beneficial to pick up one of the more "advanced" books.

Thanks.

Octopus
09-28-2005, 10:20 AM
I think people overstate the differences. Just be aware of your opponents. If they never fold, then semi-bluffing is right out (but betting a draw for value may be right in). If they are unobservant then deception plays just cost money. And so on. HEPFAP is written from the perspective of a player in games with at least semi-observant opponents, but that does not preclude its ideas from being more generally applicable.

It is not that HEPFAP does not apply, it is that ANY given concept does not always apply. HEPFAP (and TOP for that matter) are well worth reading.

mtdoak
09-28-2005, 10:20 AM
I don't see why you can't read it now. Its a great book and has alot of useful information, even for SSH games. As long as your good and classifying players, this shouldn't be an issue.

bnorthro
09-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Cool, thanks. That's kinda what I figured, I guess I'll be picking up a copy soon.

Anyone elses SSHE falling apart? They need to use better glue on the binding...

flair1239
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
The concepts taught in HEPFAP, are very useful against players who are/or trying to be thinking players.

The more I learn about Poker the more I have come to appreciate HEPFAP. The first two times I read it, I did not really get it. The last four rereads, I have absorbed a lot.

Kind of the same with Theory of Poker. The first read was useful. But now everytime I read it I seem to get more out of it.

Bob T.
09-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Now. It doesn't matter if you don't use everything from the book. It will help with your understanding of the game. Read Theory of Poker soon, also.

Dagger78
09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Duct Tape works wonders, Harrington Vol. 1 is in bad shape too.