PDA

View Full Version : Hand Rankings with Six Card Hands

NYCNative
09-28-2005, 05:11 AM
I was pondering a game of 7-card stud where the best poker hand of 6 cards wins the pot. In such a game, where would three pairs and a "packed apartment" (Quads and a pair) rank amidst the usual hand rankings? My guesses are below:

HIGH CARD
ONE PAIR
TWO PAIRS
<font color="red">THREE PAIR</font>
THREE OF A KIND
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
FULL HOUSE
QUADS
<font color="red">PACKED APARTMENT</font>
STRAIGHT FLUSH

09-28-2005, 06:25 AM
What about two trips? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NYCNative
09-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Egads, you're right! The problems of posting so late... That one I couldn't even guess where to put it.

saucemills
09-28-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about two trips? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Call it the Double Trouble /images/graemlins/wink.gif

09-28-2005, 05:20 PM
I haven't done the math, but it's possible that even the traditional hand rankings would change. I know that in a seven-card ranking, zero pairs would rank higher than one pair.

UATrewqaz
09-28-2005, 05:37 PM
The traditional hand rankings would change

Flushes and straights (6 cards) would be much harder to get, whereas pairs/trips are easier to get.

All poker hands come in two varieties

Groupings and Collections

Pair, Two Pair, Three of a Kind, Full House, Quads are grouping hands
Straight, Flush, Straight Flush are collection types

If you notice there is an alternation

Pair (grouping)
Two Pair (grouping)
Three of a Kind (grouping)
Straight (collection)
Flush (collection)
Full House (grouping)
Four of a kind (grouping)
Straight Flush (collection)

Basically the fewer cards involved the easier it is to get a collection and more difficult to get a grouping and the more cards involved the easier it is to get a grouping and the harder it is to get a collection.

The 5 card poker hand is built around the fact that there are 4 of any rank and provides the maximum variety of collections/groupings.

In a 6 card game two pair is still possible and even more likely than in a card game, but if you aren't going to count a 5 card flush worth anything you can see how that will heavily alter the traditional rankings.

Justin A
09-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Packed apartment is actually called quads full.