PDA

View Full Version : Your first card is a 3,4,5 or 6...

09-28-2005, 03:32 AM
You peel back your first card, it's a 3,4,5, or 6.

Do you want your next card to be another one for a pocket pair, an ace of the same suit, or the next highest card of the same suit (making suited connectors)? Why?

Cerril
09-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Depends on the situation. A friend and I have remarked that in many positions in many games if your first card is a 3 or 4, and often a 5 or 6 as well, it doesn't matter what the next is - you can fold without seeing it.

In most situations you want the other one to be a pocket pair with the first card. The only possible exceptions would be a) a situation where you are forced to go all in no matter what and the betting has made you certain you are up against AA (in which case you want a suited connector); or b) a situation where you are getting odds to call with an overcard to what is very likely a middle pair, in which case you want Axs

09-28-2005, 09:11 AM
An offsuit 9 so I can just throw the hand away.

lautzutao
09-28-2005, 04:51 PM
It depends what type of game you're in. If I were in EP or MP and had a gun to my head telling me I had to play this hand no matter what, I'd want the 3. In late position, it depends on the game type. In a loose passive game I'd rather have the suited ace, with the 32s or 34s coming next. In an aggressive game with lots of preflop cold-calling I'd want the pocket pair...

Justin A
09-28-2005, 05:38 PM
Pocket pairs will be better in most limit hold'em situations.

chadplusplus
09-28-2005, 05:39 PM
Depends upon type of game (NL vs. limit, omaha vs. LO8, etc...), opponents and position.

Assuming NLHE... pretty much any hand with a 3, 4, 5, or 6 is garbage excluding pairs, 56s, and 67s. But I might raise on the button with A6s with one or fewer limpers. You know... it depends.

Edit: I love the looks I get from people when I look at one card and fold UTG.

Ladies, beware of Ron Mexico!

10-03-2005, 06:02 PM
NL tourney, and I'm short stacked, I want to pair up.

limit holdem game, I'm in LP and there are several callers, I want a suited connector.

6-max NL cash game... a pair, but it's not worth much in this instance.

Omaha I wouldn't mind seeing 3,4,5,6 through 6,7,8,9 or AA33-AA66 double-suited

Omaha 8, If I peel a 4, or 3, I'd like to see A234, double suited. If I peel a 5 or 6, I'd like to see A235, or A236.