PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever not take a bet that was very +EV because

Unabridged
09-28-2005, 03:19 AM
you think the person making the bet is a compulsive gambler?

edit: small amount should say large amount(something that would severely affect them)

Daliman
09-28-2005, 03:23 AM
You do realize that most of the people on this site make a good amount of their $$$ from people who could easily be considered compulisive gamblers, don't you?

Unabridged
09-28-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that most of the people on this site make a good amount of their $$$ from people who could easily be considered compulisive gamblers, don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, so i'm expecting very few yes votes. but i think even some professional gamblers might not take bets from their friends

johnnybeef
09-28-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, so i'm expecting very few yes votes. but i think even some professional gamblers might not take bets from their friends

[/ QUOTE ]

i would not take a +EV bet from a friend who was a compulsive gambler if it broke him. otherwise, id do it in a heartbeat.

AJo Go All In
09-28-2005, 06:05 AM
about 6 months ago i was playing mike matusow heads up 50/100 NLHE on UB. one hand on the turn the board was i think QT76, and i had AK for a gutshot and overcards. he bet some amount, maybe $900, and i called. the river came a J and i made the nuts. i end up busting him for $10K, as he had 98 for a lower straight.

he is livid now and says HOW COULD YOU CALL $2500 ON THE TURN WITH JUST A GUTSHOT. MAN YOU CALL 2500 AND CATCH LIGHTNING.

of course i say "it was only 900".

adamant, he comes back with WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, I BET 2500 ON THE TURN. I'LL BET YOU $10K RIGHT NOW THAT I BET 2500 ON THE TURN. DON'T LOOK AT THE HAND HISTORY JUST BET NOW

of course, i was already staring at the hand history, as i had pulled it up to make sure when he said 2500 the first time.

anyway, this was probably more because i didn't think he would pay anyway rather than not wanting to bet because he's a compulsive gambler, but i said something like,

"mike, it was 900. go look at the hand history. don't worry about the 10k, you can buy me a beer when we meet some time."

Ogre
09-29-2005, 12:27 AM
the only people who are willing to make horrible -EV bets are compuslive gamblers. you might as well take their money because somebody else will.

Ogre
09-29-2005, 12:29 AM
haha great storry AJo GO

whiskeytown
09-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Yes...

UNLESS, he's trying to quit gambling - thru Gamblers Anonymous or whatever...and he tells me - then he's off limits -

if he doesn't recognize his issue, screw it - but if he does and is trying to stop, then I'll be damned if I'm the one that throws him back into it.

I wouldn't want someone putting a drink in front of me, and I won't put someone's rehab in danger just to make a few bucks...esp. a gambling addiction.

RB

MicroBob
09-29-2005, 04:11 AM
there are millions and millions of non-compulsive gamblers who occasionally play roulette, craps or slots.

Perhaps it depends on your definition of 'horrible' -EV bet though.
If I offer you 70/30 on a flip of the coin that i think that's pretty bad.

Roulette is only 5% disadvantage.
However, if you play for just 2 hours (and kept your bet size approximately the same) then I would suggest that your chances of making money are probably 30% or less.

If your tendency is to increase your bets after you've been winning then your chances of winning in the end are even slimmer.

I think there are PLENTY of non-compulsive gamblers making -EV bets everyday.

stinkypete
10-03-2005, 08:36 PM
i nominate this for the most poorly worded poll of the year award

MCS
10-04-2005, 03:44 AM
Good grief. Please take the effort to make your polls clear and correct.

Unabridged
10-04-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please take the effort to suck on my ballbag

MCS
10-05-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please take the effort to suck on my ballbag

[/ QUOTE ]

Now see, that was clear.