PDA

View Full Version : Fear and Loathing....

TheCroShow
09-28-2005, 02:47 AM
so this is one of the many movies i have yet to see but have been meaning to see! long story short, i am having a tough time sitting through it. i have attempted to watch it twice in the last 2 days and have shut it off.

scenario 1: me thinking "dude depp ROCKS, del toro OWNS, what can go wrong??" i watch...watch...hmm...got to the part where the lizards are drinking in the bar "why are you giving these animals drinks man?!?!?!" i shut it off, i was extremely tired anyway, bad timing on my part.

scenario #2: well it got off to a...different start, enjoy it so far. don't see what the fuss is all about, entertaining none the less. get to the part where del toro's character is freaking out in the bathroom while depp keeps him locked in. shut it off, hmm...maybe this movie is not as cool as some make it out to be.

before you rant and go off about the book, no i have not read the book so maybe that is why i have not enjoyed it as much as others. perhaps i should read the book first. perhaps i should watch it with a few of my friends that enjoy the movie...maybe i should get high and watch it...suggestions? i WANT to enjoy this movie but i'm struggling

ChipWrecked
09-28-2005, 02:56 AM
It is not of your generation. Stick with Dawson's Creek.

baumer
09-28-2005, 02:57 AM
I need to be messed up to watch this movie.
Sober this movie is alright.
Hit the bong.

wonderwes
09-28-2005, 03:00 AM
This movie is somewhat true story of Hunter S. Thompson going around Las Vegas on binge of many different drugs, and you see a glimpse of all the hallucinations he experiences. It can seem weird but the scenes become so classic for me now because I see them as so funny.

If you saw real life interviewes of Hunter S. Thompson, you will see Johnny Depp has his character down cold. He even stayed with Thompson for 6 weeks getting screwed up with Thompson on his ranch in colorado, shooting guns, and taking unknown types of drugs.

I guess the best way to handle the film is try not to take it seriously.

Del Toro gained about 45lbs in weight to play his role of Dr. Gonzo.

"You can't stop here. This is bat country!"

Claunchy
09-28-2005, 03:13 AM
You're simply out of your element with this movie. This isn't intended as an insult, as it's neither good nor bad for this to be "your thing," but based on your affinity for things like Dawson's Creek, it's safe to say you will probably never be a fan of Fear and Loathing.

TheCroShow
09-28-2005, 03:46 AM
aye, i'm aware of how it's based on the adventures of Hunter S Thompson. I don't think I'm out of my element, maybe just not in the right frame of mind to watch it. scenario #1 i was exhausted from a long and stressful day and scenario #2 well..maybe just another bad day.

first off, i changed my avatar. my avatar was a joke and was always intended to be a joke, what kind of a guy would advertise "look at me, i like this tv show!!" it was meant to get attention and make my name memorable. most 2p2'ers take note of various avatars, i always thought the dawson avatar was funny...the mob has spoken and now it's gone. haha

secondly, i will start the movie from the beginning the next time i watch it. i have the weekend off, so i'll make plans to kick back, have a snack and a beer, and will enjoy it a little more.

tdp
09-28-2005, 03:51 AM
Dude,quit feeling bad about it.You're not the only one that realized this movie completely sucked.

Seadood228
09-28-2005, 04:09 AM
This was one of those movies that, although stuck fairly close to the book, paled in comparison. It's a little strange because I really can't pinpoint exactly where the movie went wrong. It was well shot and definitly well acted.. hmm..

I wouldn't say the movie sucked, but it definitely didn't have the same impact as the book IMO.

Aytumious
09-28-2005, 07:19 AM
If you haven't taken a multitude of various drugs over your life and been in multiple cluster fucks fueled by said drugs, this movie will most likely come off as very strange and possibly even moronic.

DougShrapnel
09-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Don't take any guff from these swine.

2planka
09-28-2005, 10:14 AM
If you haven't read the book and you're not familiar with HST's style a lot of the movie will be inaccessible. Google gonzo journalism or something before you attempt to watch it again. Read some of HST's old ESPN columns. Grab a copy of the book - it's a quick read, and very entertaining.

xadrez
09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
read the book, you wont regret it.

IndieMatty
09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
do some drugs.

imported_The Vibesman
09-28-2005, 10:29 AM
This movie basically feels like a semi-bad trip to me.

daryn
09-28-2005, 10:42 AM
F the book, too many words.

the movie was great. there's no special thing you have to "get".. just watch a movie and enjoy it, or not. just because i think a movie is great doesn't mean everyone will. there is no such thing as "good taste".

that bugs me when people talk about music.. like say i mention i like some clown like bob dylan, then some other guy who likes bob dylan will be like, "whoa, dude! you have great taste in music i see!" when in reality he means "whoa, you like the same crap i like! and i like YOU for that!"

correia
09-28-2005, 11:47 AM
As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown flask in my shaving kit.