PDA

View Full Version : E.O. Wilson and Sociobiology

09-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Discussions of Richard Dawkins views have been popping up alot here lately. EO Wilson is another biologist with some interesting stuff to say so here is an excerpt from his book On Human Nature. Some quick background. Sociobiology is the study of the biological basis for behavior. Wilson is regarded as the disciplines founding figure.

"...we have come to the crucial stage in the history of biology when religion itself is subject to the explanations of the natural sciences...sociobiology can account for the very origin of mythology by the principle of natural selection acting on the genetically evolving material structure of the human brain.

If this interpretation is correct, the final decisive edge enjoyed by scientific naturalism will come from its capacity to explain traditional religion, its chief competitor, as a wholly material phenomenon. Theology is not likely to survive as an independent intellectual discipline. But religion itself will endure for a long time as a vital force in society."

That last paragraph is pretty interesting. Regardless of the validity of religious claims, this seems to be the trajectory that human history is following. I think were getting very close to the day when theology is no longer regarded as a serious intellectual discipline. I find it hard to believe that in 200 years this will not be the case. Does anybody else think that theology is just about dead, allthough religion will be with us for a long time? He hasnt been around here in a while, but I would present PairtheBoard as exhibit A.

kbfc
09-28-2005, 03:01 AM
Nietzche seemed to think this was the case 100 years ago. Has any progress been made? Has anything happened to make you suspect another 200 years will change anything? Personally, I don't know. Humans never cease to amaze, in all sorts of ways.

NotReady
09-28-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If this interpretation is correct, the final decisive edge enjoyed by scientific naturalism will come from its capacity to explain traditional religion, its chief competitor, as a wholly material phenomenon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just when I thought materialism was dead:

[ QUOTE ]

Mechanism, like all materialist philosophies, breaks down on the problem of knowledge. If thought is the undesigned and irrelevant product of cerebral motions, what reason have we to trust it? C.S. Lewis

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The man who represents all thought as an accident of environment is simply smashing and discrediting all his own thoughts – including that one. G.K. Chesterton

[/ QUOTE ]

Lewis - Naturalism as self-defeating (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/cslphilos/CSLnat.htm)

kbfc
09-28-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mechanism, like all materialist philosophies, breaks down on the problem of knowledge. If thought is the undesigned and irrelevant product of cerebral motions, what reason have we to trust it? C.S. Lewis

[/ QUOTE ]

'Habit and custom' by David Hume. (I would give a link, but my favorite philosophy reference site seems to be down.) That's the best you're going to do. I don't see why you think an inability to trust our own reason proves or disproves anything.

NotReady
09-28-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't see why you think an inability to trust our own reason proves or disproves anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.