PDA

View Full Version : Suited connectors, max stretch

Cyrus
05-14-2003, 03:36 PM
Here are some basic probabilities about max suited connectors. Some of these probabilities are useful, and some are useless - - - to me. Other people consider all these probabilities as absolutely vital to have and to learn. Live and let live.

The probability of being dealt any connectors is <font color="red">15.7%</font color>

The connectors with the maximum Straight stretch both ways are the max connectors. There are 7 starting hands as such : 45 , 56 , 67 , 78 , 89 , 9T and TJ.

The probability of being dealt max connectors is <font color="red">8.5%</font color>

Warning: When the connectors are suited, the player is legally obliged to see the flop (or at least that's how it feels).

The probability of being dealt any suited connectors is <font color="red">5.4%</font color>

The probability of being dealt max suited connectors is <font color="red">2.1%</font color>

[Aside : The reason I'm posting this, is mostly to clarify something that was misconstrued in a thread down below about drawing to a JhTh. The original question got lost in the soap opera buffoonery between yours truly and BruceZ, so this is my lame attempt at clarification , plus atonement. Who said nothing good comes out of war?..]

Having being dealt a max suited connector, such as JhTh, the probability of flopping

a Flush is <font color="red">0.84%</font color>
a Straight is <font color="red">1.3%</font color> (there are 4 such flops in all, ie 789;89T;9QK; QKA)
a Straight or a Flush is <font color="red">2.1%</font color>

Now, onto the draws. Holding a max suited connector, the probability of flopping

a 4-Flush draw, including the Straight-flopping combinations and also including those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is <font color="red">11%</font color> (or, more precisely, for all you tedium-lovers out there, 10.94387755102040%, but I'll call that 11% if you don't mind /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif )

a 4-Flush draw, excluding the Straight-flopping combinations, but including those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is <font color="red">10.8%</font color> (or, blah blah, 10.76020408163265%)

a 4-Flush draw, excluding the Straight-flopping combinations, and excluding those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is <font color="red">7%</font color> (or 6.94897959183673%)

[b] a 4-Flush draw or an 8-outs Straight draw, excluding the Straight-flopping combinations, and excluding those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is <font color="red">16%</font color>

a 4-Flush draw and a 6-outs Straight draw, is <font color="red">1.2%</font color>

a 4-Flush draw and a 3-outs Straight draw, is <font color="red">2.6%</font color>

a 4-Flush draw and ANY Straight draw, is <font color="red">3.8%</font color>[So you noticed I stopped providing those long decimals, haven't you? It's because my Excel broke down.]

Having flopped something from the above, the probability of completing with Turn &amp; River to come

the Flush draw is <font color="red">35%</font color>
the 8-outs Straight draw is <font color="red">31.5%</font color>
the 4-Flush &amp; 6-outs Straight draw is <font color="red">54.1%</font color>
the 4-Flush &amp; 3-outs Straight draw is <font color="red">45%</font color>

That's about it. I'll welcome any corrections, because I might even made a typo or been wrong somewhere. In any case, I realize that this post might be pre-emptying lots of other posts that could've been made instead by this website's long-suffering and unappreciated teachers. What can I say, bandwidth is expensive /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

BruceZ
05-14-2003, 04:46 PM
a 4-Flush draw, excluding the Straight-flopping combinations, and excluding those combinations which flop both a 4-Flush draw and Straight draws, is 7%

This is the one I worked out below to be 9.5%.

I also thought you admitted that you got this figure from another page, and that it was wrong. Why do you quote this again without justification? This is why it's important to verify these, to try and avoid becoming a conduit for misinformation.