PDA

View Full Version : Lost TV show - Did anyone notice this?

Justin A
09-27-2005, 11:53 PM
In last weeks episode, Jack goes down the shaft at the end and explores around a little bit. Remember the random painting on the wall that he sees? There's what looks like a sun in the middle and a bunch of random colorful stuff around it. In about three places on the picture, the number 108 is written.

So, guess what 4+8+15+16+23+42 equals? Yep, 108.

Also, 108 is the number of beads on the catholic rosary, and also the number of stiches on a baseball (Thanks to Bull Durham for those stats).

Thoughts?

09-27-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do those numbers have any sort of meaning?

Cuz 1 + 7 + 100 = 108 too

YourFoxyGrandma
09-27-2005, 11:57 PM
You clearly don't watch.

09-27-2005, 11:58 PM
nope /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bwana devil
09-27-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, 108 is the number of beads on the catholic rosary, and also the number of stiches on a baseball (Thanks to Bull Durham for those stats).

[/ QUOTE ]

where are you headed w/ these? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

kevin costner isnt in the shelter is he?

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Everythign in this show happens for a reason. I'd wonder if it has something to do with teh # of people on the plane, but that seems too high....Who knows.

The beads thing maybe...but I don't see this show turning into some big religious fiasco.

shant
09-28-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
where are you headed w/ these? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Where isn't he headed?

Evan
09-28-2005, 12:01 AM
There have been several biblical references throughout the show, so I wouldn't be surprised if the catholic rosary connection wasn't a mistake.

Evan
09-28-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd wonder if it has something to do with teh # of people on the plane, but that seems too high

[/ QUOTE ]
There were 42 rows on the plane, so I'd be surprised if there were less than 150 people.

private joker
09-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Well the flight number was 815, so the 4/8/15/16/23/42 will be showing up a lot. I don't think it will be more than trivia, though.

As for everything on the show happening for a reason -- well, yes and no. Within many episodes it's true. But the show's creators have made it clear they are making it up as they go along. There are probably some answers they had in mind after the pilot episode, but most of the backstories are invented the week that the writers are working on that particular episode. This is what happens when ratings and the whims of ABC execs figure heavily into creative control of network programming.

dblgutshot
09-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Not sure if this was posted on 2+2 yet, here is a clip from when walt met shannon in the forest, played backwards.

http://lost.cubit.net/audio/walt_audio.wav

Justin A
09-28-2005, 12:14 AM
I wonder how many people have played these numbers in the lottery since the show aired.

flatline
09-28-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many people have played these numbers in the lottery since the show aired.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know if they ever hit, it will be split 200 ways.

09-28-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this was posted on 2+2 yet, here is a clip from when walt met shannon in the forest, played backwards.

http://lost.cubit.net/audio/walt_audio.wav

[/ QUOTE ]

Press the button, the button's bad?

DarkForceRising
09-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Can't wait until Sawyer sticks it in Freckles' pooper.

nolanfan34
09-28-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In last weeks episode, Jack goes down the shaft at the end and explores around a little bit. Remember the random painting on the wall that he sees? There's what looks like a sun in the middle and a bunch of random colorful stuff around it. In about three places on the picture, the number 108 is written.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, where have you been? Evan and I were lurking on the Lost boards right after the show ended. People picked up on the number thing quickly. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And Private Joker, I really hope that you're only partially correct. I want to think that they have a plan for the overall arc. If they're making it up as they go along, it's going to be so hard to reconcile that when the series eventually ends.

In some ways, that reminds me of Twin Peaks. Most posters here won't remember the first season when it came out, but it was a big watercooler type of show, that just derailed in future seasons since they never resolved anything really.

Evan
09-28-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the 4/8/15/16/23/42 will be showing up a lot. I don't think it will be more than trivia, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I think the numbers are too obscure to be meaningless beyond trivia. I think if it was just for entertainment's sake they would have picked more famous numbers.

ChipWrecked
09-28-2005, 01:07 AM
French chick has been there 16 years.

scrub
09-28-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In some ways, that reminds me of Twin Peaks. Most posters here won't remember the first season when it came out, but it was a big watercooler type of show, that just derailed in the partial season it had left before getting yanked since they never resolved anything really.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Also, it's funny, I was just making labored Twin Peaks comparisons to Evan over IM. It made me feel really old.

And I'm not old.

scrub

09-28-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the 4/8/15/16/23/42 will be showing up a lot. I don't think it will be more than trivia, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree. I think the numbers are too obscure to be meaningless beyond trivia. I think if it was just for entertainment's sake they would have picked more famous numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flight number of plane that crashes
Number of safety deposit box in bank that Kate steals from bank
Model number of copier machine Charlie demonstrates (C815)
Number on building Sayid walks into in "Greater Good"
Kate and Tom buried their time capsule 8-15-89
Locke tells customer (unknown to be his mother) footballs are located in aisles 8 and 15
Adam Rutherford dies at 8:15

4 8 15 16 23 42

the "numbers"
rousseau wrote them 7 times on a piece of paper
they are written on the side of the hatch
Hurley used them to win the lottery
sam toomey used them to win the bean count
They were broadcast from the black rock radio tower before Rousseau changed the transmission
Seen in entirety on back of soccer players' jerseys in Airport during Hurley's flashback
Appear on the vials as CR 4-81516-23 42 that Desmond injects himself with
Desmond enters the numbers into a computer before hitting 'Execute'

No way these numbers are random, they tie all the characters and plot themes together.

Evan
09-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Here's a website with a ton of connections of the numbers:
http://thelostnumbers1.greatestjournal.com/

daveymck
09-28-2005, 05:28 AM
I sucks we are onto episode 8 or somthing of the first series so are way behind.

This show reminds me more of Xfiles than twin peaks in that there are threads going through the episodes some that link together to the overall structure of the show, I just hope they kill it before it goes down the tubes like Xfiles did.

Inthacup
09-28-2005, 06:20 PM
But the show's creators have made it clear they are making it up as they go along.

On the Season 1 bonus disc, they were saying that they had created the outline for the first several years before they even started writing the script. They may be doing the script as they go, but I don't think they're making up the overall plot that way.

jstnrgrs
09-28-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know if they ever hit, it will be split 200 ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that all of their family members will die.

private joker
09-28-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But the show's creators have made it clear they are making it up as they go along.

On the Season 1 bonus disc, they were saying that they had created the outline for the first several years before they even started writing the script. They may be doing the script as they go, but I don't think they're making up the overall plot that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also say in the DVD commentary that they make up the backstories as they go along -- like the Boon/Shannon romance was invented midway through the season, just to give the characters more life. You can also tell that they lose interest in some stories and focus on new characters they decide to create -- like the Michelle Rodriguez thing.

RacersEdge
09-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Interesting about the 108 thing.

I was wondering about the guy who was the friend of the guy in the lunatic ward who used the numbers to guess the number of jelly beans (?) in a jar at the fair. 4,815,162,342 beans in there? Damn big jar.

SammyKid11
09-28-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting about the 108 thing.

I was wondering about the guy who was the friend of the guy in the lunatic ward who used the numbers to guess the number of jelly beans (?) in a jar at the fair. 4,815,162,342 beans in there? Damn big jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - Just BUYING that many jelly beans and a jar they could fit into would be pretty f'in expensive (not up on the price of jelly beans in Australia, but...gotta be a good chunk of change). Not to mention that it'd take you about 6 months of working eight hours a day just to count that many beans into the jar so that you (the scammer) would know the right number!

Hamish McBagpipe
09-28-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

George Brett won a batting title in three different decades.

B Dids
09-28-2005, 07:16 PM
"Everything happens for a reason".

The numbers mean something. This is not even a question.

Freakin
09-28-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a website with a ton of connections of the numbers:
http://thelostnumbers1.greatestjournal.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of that stuff is pretty stupid

[ QUOTE ]
When reading the magazine description Sawyer says the car delivers a 350 pound rear-wheel torque. 3 + 5 + 0 = 8. - Sawyer says the car has a 32 valve V8 engine. V = 22nd letter of the alphabet. 3 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 8 = 17. 1 + 7 = 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

wall_st
09-28-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In some ways, that reminds me of Twin Peaks. Most posters here won't remember the first season when it came out, but it was a big watercooler type of show, that just derailed in future seasons since they never resolved anything really.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that most people just got really pissed after the first season when the killer's identity was not revealed. I have heard that they restructured the season and showed it in Europe where it became a huge hit (even after the second season). I thought the second season was kind of weak, but the movie was crap your pants scary and that more than made up for it.

BTW does David Lynch ever resolve anything in his movies? I don't think he is a big fan of linear plot lines.

Don't they have a lot of different writers for lost ? I just started watching it on dvd and noticed that a lot of episodes just kind of jump all over the place. I like the show but see a lot of ways for it to go awry with all the different writers (especially the writer who always makes episodes where everyone cries a lot).

MasterShakes
09-28-2005, 11:33 PM
I just wanted to point out something that has almost certainly been pointed out elsewhere. In the scene where Hugo ("Hurley") is racing around the airport trying to make his flight, there's a group of 6 female soccer players lurking around one of the gates, and the numbers on their jerseys match these numbers.

BottlesOf
09-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Those are my vpip/pfr/af and wtsd stats!!!!!!!

wonderwes
09-29-2005, 04:20 AM
In this week's episode they enter those numbers on some old apple pc.

daveymck
09-29-2005, 04:27 AM
I think at the time twin peaks was hugely talked about and watched in the UK certainly in the 18-22 demographic I was in, I remeber the last show being a big thing loads of people watching it and most people thinking what the [censored] we watched two seasons for this.