PDA

View Full Version : Need a great RPG for PS2

Clarkmeister
09-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Anything released in the last 2-3 years works. All suggestions welcome. Whichever game gets the most votes will get purchased and reviewed.

Thanks

KDawgCometh
09-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Final Fantasy X, and its not even close

though if you do have a PS1 mem card, you can play FFVII on the PS2 also

toss
09-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Tales of Symphonia for great gameplay. You move around on a 3D battlefield along with 3 other characters, you can chain special moves into combos, you have various team combos, and you can combine special moves with other characters. You can even have the other 3 character controlled by friends. The storyline is less than spectacular though.

kurosh
09-27-2005, 11:32 PM
One thing you should know, if you go into FFX expecting a typical FF game, you will be disappointed. I didn't like it as much and FFX-2 was complete [censored].

toss
09-27-2005, 11:32 PM
FFVIII > FFVII > FFX.

Thats right. I said it.

KDawgCometh
09-27-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FFVIII > FFVII > FFX.

Thats right. I said it.

[/ QUOTE ]

how FF3/VI didn't make that quick list is far beyond me

mmbt0ne
09-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Kingdom Hearts is awesome. One of the few console RPGs I enjoy.

SoloAJ
09-27-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FFVIII > FFVII > FFX.

Thats right. I said it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant...
FFVI > FFVII > FFVIII > FFX

Locke rules.

Clarkmeister
09-27-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got VII and loved it. Disliked VIII and stopped early on.

toss
09-27-2005, 11:48 PM
I only included recent playstation games.

Super Nintendo is on a whole new plane for me.

Haha this thread is turning into which FF is best.

So the list so far is Tales of Symphonia and Kingdom Hearts. I'd also add Star Ocean from PS1.

KDawgCometh
09-27-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Locke rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

no love for terra, she goes ape [censored] and flies to zozo(which is the coolest town in the game), which was really cool to watch when those graphics were state of the art

SoloAJ
09-27-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Locke rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

no love for terra, she goes ape [censored] and flies to zozo(which is the coolest town in the game), which was really cool to watch when those graphics were state of the art

[/ QUOTE ]

I got love for Terra. But really most the characters in the game are awesome. If someone can explain to me how Shadow isn't one of the most badass video game characters ever...They get a cookie.

Edit: For the topic at hand. I haven't played any RPG's on PS2 so I can't help you much. Though I have heard Kingdom of Hearts is a great one.

KDawgCometh
09-27-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

both my friend and I have never been able to fully finish VIII, we get far and just stop for whatever reason. FFX-2 is turning into that type of game for me too

I've also heard good things about kingdom hearts, and you should try to Xenosaga games if you played Xenogears on PS1

SoloAJ
09-27-2005, 11:59 PM
F it. Just get an emulator and download Chrono Trigger. There's no reason not to play that through another time.....

And for that matter get FF6...It is probably the greatest game ever made overall. Considering the revolutionary graphics it included (similar to FF7 oddly enough)....

I honestly can't think of a game better than FF6 overall.

KDawgCometh
09-28-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
F it. Just get an emulator and download Chrono Trigger. There's no reason not to play that through another time.....

[/ QUOTE ]

or another 10 to try to find each and every ending(or constantly try to fultily save Schala)

toss
09-28-2005, 12:02 AM
If were going to go back to SNES Terranigma is a mustplay. I just like the storyline a lot.

flatline
09-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Deleted because I am an idiot.

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Final Fantasy X sucked. It was a completely linear, straight line plot.

For a fun RPG on the PS2, get Knights of the Old Republic, it should only be like $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was only on XBox???

gamblore99
09-28-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And for that matter get FF6...It is probably the greatest game ever made overall. Considering the revolutionary graphics it included (similar to FF7 oddly enough)....

I honestly can't think of a game better than FF6 overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where/How can I get an emulator and download Chronotrigger?

Jdanz
09-28-2005, 12:41 AM
emulator links?

NLSoldier
09-28-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

9 is pretty good.

Eurotrash
09-28-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
emulator links?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.zophar.net (http://www.zophar.net) is my favorite emulation link. pretty much every emulator there is. I recommend ZSNES for SNES. Fceu is good for NES, as well as a couple others

Eurotrash
09-28-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

9 is pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought both 8 and 9 were good. 8 is pretty underrated, not many like it.

KDawgCometh
09-28-2005, 12:56 AM
if you do DL FF3/VI, just keep in mind that Sabin's Bum Rush BLitz is a bitch to do on a keyboard, same with Wind SLash

Eurotrash
09-28-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if you do DL FF3/VI, just keep in mind that Sabin's Bum Rush BLitz is a bitch to do on a keyboard, same with Wind SLash

[/ QUOTE ]

Bum Rush is easy, you just don't know the trick. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

KDawgCometh
09-28-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bum Rush is easy, you just don't know the trick. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too used to the controller. I think I kinda figured it out, but man, that's got to be annoying to do

bernie
09-28-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. VII was great. What a cool adventure that was.

VIII, the guy was just too mopey for me to deal with. I wanted to give the character a prozac. I also didn't like the pokemon card deal in the game. Although it did give me a great memory of a scene. The one where you are on your 'probationary' run, or whatever it was climbing the mountain with that machine thing chasing you. I remember I wasn't sure if it hit a cinematic or if I was still controlling the guy running his ass off. One of the best segueways (sp?) I've ever seen in a game. But that was easily the highpoint for me in that game.

b

ThaSaltCracka
09-28-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kingdom Hearts is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawrence Ng
09-28-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FFVIII > FFVII > FFX.

Thats right. I said it.

[/ QUOTE ]

mmbt0ne
09-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Also, I don't know if it was on PS2 (I know DC and GC) but Skies of Arcadia was pretty fun while I played it.

gildwulf
09-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Download SNES9X and get Chrono Trigger...best RPG...ever.

siccjay
09-28-2005, 01:52 AM
There is Dragon Warrior 7 or 8 for PS1. Anyone played it? I have it but I haven't got around to play it yet.

I would like to get into an RPG but I just can't seem to anymore.

Eurotrash
09-28-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is Dragon Warrior 7 or 8 for PS1. Anyone played it? I have it but I haven't got around to play it yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, this is pretty funny. It's DW 7, and I also have it, but haven't gotten around to it yet either. I bought it about 4 years ago or whenever it came out, and it just sat there. I should check it out.

nervous
09-28-2005, 02:07 AM
FFVII > all

That being said I should point out I haven't played FFVI. It was for the SNES?

Vish
09-28-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
emulator links?

[/ QUOTE ]

www.zophar.net (http://www.zophar.net) is my favorite emulation link. pretty much every emulator there is. I recommend ZSNES for SNES. Fceu is good for NES, as well as a couple others

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet, thanks for the links. I just played a little Super Mario RPG for the first time in almost ten years. What a blast from the past. I'll have to try Chrono Trigger too, I never played that as a kid.

siccjay
09-28-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, this is pretty funny. It's DW 7, and I also have it, but haven't gotten around to it yet either. I bought it about 4 years ago or whenever it came out, and it just sat there. I should check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA It was OOT's fault I bought it. I started DLing Emulators for DW games and found there was one for PS1. I've had it about a year and a half.

KDawgCometh
09-28-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FFVII > all

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, its great. a really deep game. you can get it in the FF anthologies discs for PS1

asofel
09-28-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark, even more props for this thread. I haven't read the replies, but it goes like this:

FF VII was the [censored]. FFVIII was [censored]. FFIX and FFX are fun and enjoyable, but the story and overall feeling are probably not as solid as you got from VII. Still, if you haven't played them, you've got to check them out.

/remembers the days of Fighter,Black Belt, White Mage, Black Mage

Eurotrash
09-28-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
FFVIII was [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a shame you think this; it was a good game.

asofel
09-28-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

9 is pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond your mad game selection skills (ditch 4/8 craxy pinapple to play 15/30 with me and a bunch more idiots), this is easily the most defendable post of yours ever /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BobboFitos
09-28-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All final fantasies are great. Chrono Trigger though was probably the best square soft game...

asofel
09-28-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FFVIII was [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, sorry dude. i've played since 1 and VIII was [censored]....too bad too...i really wanted to like it...

Phoenix1010
09-28-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA It was OOT's fault I bought it. I started DLing Emulators for DW games and found there was one for PS1. I've had it about a year and a half.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll never get to it. It's a 120 hour behemoth of a game. It's wonderful, but incredibly tedious. You don't even get to use the main job system until 40 hours into the game. Oldschool hardcore Japanese stuff.

baumer
09-28-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FFVII > all

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, its great. a really deep game. you can get it in the FF anthologies discs for PS1

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't FFVI called FFIII in North America?

asofel
09-28-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All final fantasies are great. Chrono Trigger though was probably the best square soft game...

[/ QUOTE ]

no /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix1010
09-28-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FFVIII was [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, sorry dude. i've played since 1 and VIII was [censored]....too bad too...i really wanted to like it...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played since 1, and VIII is better than any of the others in every conceivable way (except the graphics of X), especially it's main predecessor. The problem is that some games and stories have a certain charm and emotion that's hard to catch in a bottle and manufacture. It's something that VII had in spades, and VIII sorely lacked. VIII was technically perfect, but it was missing the heart.

TSUMatt52
09-28-2005, 02:41 AM
Maybe I've been living in a cave, but I didn't know ToS was out for anything other than GameCube. I've had Tales for a while now and absolutely love it. Sure, the storyline leaves something to be desired, but it's still decent, and the action is incredible.

BobboFitos
09-28-2005, 02:41 AM
did i slip up here asofel? was the company still just "square" when the game was made?

or... was chrono trigger not the best? I dunno, I loved it, but you cant go wrong with a squaresoft rpg.

secret of mana was good too..

JKratzer
09-28-2005, 02:45 AM
Chrono Trigger is the best RPG ever.

Eurotrash
09-28-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FFVIII was [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, I've played since 1, too, and I thought it was good. at least Phoenix agrees with me, he's a true connoisseur. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

KDawgCometh
09-28-2005, 02:49 AM
yup

Phoenix1010
09-28-2005, 02:54 AM
I don't like any of the FF's after VII, and you probably won't either, although X is hit or miss with a lot of people (the sequel ruined the game for me). The older ones might be too... old. The most likable modern RPG IMO is Skies of Arcadia, followed by Kingdom Hearts, followed by Grandia II. If you want to reach back a bit, go with the FF compilations for PS1 (you can get either V and VI, or IV and Chrono Trigger). My number 1 recommendation is Lunar the Silver Star Story Complete for PS1.

bdohaney
09-28-2005, 03:12 AM
Yeah, I am with everyone on the FFVI kick and the Chrono Trigger. I also really liked FFIV (2 on the SNES). Anyhow, you can buy 4, 5, 6, and Chrono Trigger for the PS. One is called Anthologies (IV and Chrono Trigger) and the other is Chronicles (V and VI).

bdohaney
09-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Suikoden 2 was also an awesome RPG, although unless you have it in your collection, will cost you an arm and a leg, as it was underproduced, but still a top-notch game, and now costs upwards of $100... But if you can borrow it, or have money to throw around, I strongly recommend it.

SoloAJ
09-28-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FFVII > all

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wasn't FFVI called FFIII in North America?

[/ QUOTE ]

Among some other unanswered questions...that is correct. I think FFVI was better than Chrono Trigger because of the plot mainly, but also the fighting system was more advanced. To each their own, both awesome games.

As for FF8....I liked it, but I could see why many didn't. The theme was definitely hit or miss on people. (read: anti-hero hero)

asofel
09-28-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
did i slip up here asofel? was the company still just "square" when the game was made?

or... was chrono trigger not the best? I dunno, I loved it, but you cant go wrong with a squaresoft rpg.

secret of mana was good too..

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, i was just being obnoxiously short. i never really got into chrono trigger or secret of mana, although they definitely were good games. i just think they can't top the FF's square soft put out. speaking of which, you seen the clips from XII?

asofel
09-28-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FFVIII was [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played since 1, and VIII is better than any of the others in every conceivable way (except the graphics of X), especially it's main predecessor. The problem is that some games and stories have a certain charm and emotion that's hard to catch in a bottle and manufacture. It's something that VII had in spades, and VIII sorely lacked. VIII was technically perfect, but it was missing the heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said. I think that does sum things up quite nicely. As such, I could never get into it, and it was the first FF I just quit without finishing...

rlpsjstyle
09-28-2005, 09:10 AM
If you're not averse to PS1 suggestions, I recommend Vagrant Story. The only reason I still own a PS1.

Il_Mostro
09-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Any tips on where to find the games? After reading all the praise I really feel like trying out Chrono, but how to find it?

danzasmack
09-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Suikoden 1 - IV all are awesome. 1 and 2 are for PS1, 1 is my favorite game ever. 3 and 4 are for PS2 and are awesome. 2 is rare.

Tales of Symphonia is on PS2? I have it for GC and it is one of the best I have ever played. The storyline is awesome.

Disgaea is ridiculous. So good. strategy RPG, you can make your own characters. + if you have played a lot of RPG's there is subtle RPG humor, like calling a mid-boss just "Mid Boss"

Asufiji2004
09-28-2005, 11:06 AM
FFX, but i'm surprised not 1 mention for Dark Cloud 1 or 2. I thought those games were really addicting.

Clarkmeister
09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Nominees:

Final Fantasy X
Tales of Symphonia
Kingdom Hearts
Chrono Trigger
FFVI
Skies of Arcadia
Suikoden I - IV
Dark Cloud 1 or 2

Ok, any of these I should discard?

toss
09-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Final Fantasy X
Tales of Symphonia
Kingdom Hearts
Chrono Trigger

I think these should defnitely stay on. The other RPGs are good, but I think these are a little better.

mmbt0ne
09-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Skies of Arcadia got cancelled for PS2 and is only available on Gamecube and Dreamcast. Sorry about that.

Eurotrash
09-28-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nominees:

Final Fantasy X
Tales of Symphonia
Kingdom Hearts
Chrono Trigger
FFVI
Skies of Arcadia
Suikoden I - IV
Dark Cloud 1 or 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Clark, just as a heads up, Chrono Trigger and FF3 you're probably going to have to play on an emulator on your computer. unless you can find old copies on Ebay or at some used game store. they're both for the SNES, btw.

Clarkmeister
09-28-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Clark, just as a heads up, Chrono Trigger and FF3 you're probably going to have to play on an emulator on your computer. unless you can find old copies on Ebay or at some used game store. they're both for the SNES, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's way too much effort. So let's scratch those.

KDawgCometh
09-28-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can get disc copies for PS1, so you'll need a PS1 mem card. YOu also get added cg scenes in them too

Eurotrash
09-28-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can get disc copies for PS1, so you'll need a PS1 mem card. YOu also get added cg scenes in them too

[/ QUOTE ]

ohh, right, I forgot about the remade versions for PS. you can probably still find those at www.ebgames.com (http://www.ebgames.com), Clark.

BobboFitos
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
speaking of which, you seen the clips from XII?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, unfortunately i dont have time for rpgs anymore, but i only hear good things

Clarkmeister
09-28-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have several PS1 mem cards. I still play PS1 games like Wipeout on my PS2 from time to time.

Alex/Mugaaz
10-01-2005, 05:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nominees:

Final Fantasy X
Tales of Symphonia
Kingdom Hearts
Chrono Trigger
FFVI
Skies of Arcadia
Suikoden I - IV
Dark Cloud 1 or 2

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probable I play more games than anyone on 2+2. Suikoden 3 and 4 are pure garbage, Dark cloud 1 is good but only as an old school good.

Symphonia is the best on the list, it's really the best by far and the gameplay is fun.

Kingdom hearts is 2nd, but mostly because the side/end game stuff is really good.

Arcadia is one of those games thats slightly better at everything but just doesn't ever capture your attnetion

Dark Cloud 2 is fairly decent but it's a little too kiddy and commercial and the story is crap.

Final Fantasy X is only good because of production values and because people suck squares wang.

Chrono Trigger is obviously awesome, but it isn't within the time frame you mentioned, ditto FF VI. If you're going to go back to PSX games go get Symphony of the Night, period. Tales of Destiny 2 (Same line of games as Symphonia) is also really awesome, it's probably slightly better than Symphonia.

Suikoden 1/2 are both quite good, but maybe lacking nowdays.

1. Tales
2. Kingdom Hearts
3. Top 2 make rest crappy, why bother. (Symphony either rankes 3rd or 1st depending on how much action you like in your RPGs)

If you're into Strategy RPG's I liked Disgaea and Makai Kingdom, but all the games inbetween these two pretty much were blah.

P.S. Wild Arms 1 is getting re-released for PS2 completely updated with entirely new graphics, added chars, and more content. I would wager it will be better than all these games. Release date is mid October.

Edit. Spelling

Clarkmeister
10-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks. I've got Wild Arms and I thought it was pretty good.

I definitely like the more strategic type games.