PDA

View Full Version : $55 BB hand

rybones
09-27-2005, 10:56 PM
how do you play this flop? I had no notes on the three others in the hand. As it was early in the tourney the only read I had was that they all had limped more than twice already, but they did not seem like donks.

Seat 1: sb (1020)
Seat 2: <font color="red"> hero/bb (700) </font>
Seat 3: mp1 (2130)
Seat 5: mp2(925)
Seat 6: mp3 (1075)
Seat 7: mp4 (2265)
Seat 8: co (1005)
Seat 10: button (880)

sb posts small blind (15)
hero posts big blind (30)

All fold to co, button and sb who all call. Hero checks in the bb with [ Ad, 3d ]

<font color="red">** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ah, 6s, 3s ] </font>

Any thought appreciated,

Ryan

lorinda
09-27-2005, 11:03 PM
I tend to check/push this. I think it gives up a little value instead of check/raising normally, but it also secures chips.... which is how I like to play the $55s.

You don't get many donkeyfied calls, but you still might find a rogue AT or something willing to call, and because the turn is _Always_ scary, I prefer to push when I'm fairly sure I know where I am.

Lori

rybones
09-27-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tend to check/push this. I think it gives up a little value instead of check/raising normally, but it also secures chips.... which is how I like to play the $55s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lorinda (or anyone else),

could you please explain? specifically, why check push? And, much more importantly could you elaborate on what you mean by "securing chips" and why this is so useful at the $55s?

Thanks a ton!!!

Ryan

lorinda
09-27-2005, 11:18 PM
At the lower limits, I'm not so worried about my current stack size. The idiots are going to give me chips anyway, so however many I have at the moment is really just a way of measuring how long it is until they give me all of their chips (In an ideal world of course).

In the $55s, we are not yet up against the really really good players where every chip counts, but we also can't just pass up opportunities to win some chips.

I think that by check pushing, it is very likely that someone will make a bad bet here and that we can just have some chips.
Making a value raise of whatever is sensible based on the bet that comes in, is also playable, but I personally find top pair/bottom pair one of the hardest hands to play after the turn in an aggressive game. Too many things seem to go wrong with these hands and I prefer to just end them now.
Coupled with the fact that there are still one or two donks floating around who will call with Ax, and I think it's an okay play.

I wouldn't argue at all with trying to get more chips out of this one, in fact I'd probably do it on occasion, but I think my standard play would be to check/push.

Edit: Changed preferable to playable.

Lori

rybones
09-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Lorinda,

I hope people read this!!!! These two paragraphs are why I asked the question and I think they are really important!

[ QUOTE ]
At the lower limits, I'm not so worried about my current stack size. The idiots are going to give me chips anyway, so however many I have at the moment is really just a way of measuring how long it is until they give me all of their chips (In an ideal world of course).

In the $55s, we are not yet up against the really really good players where every chip counts, but we also can't just pass up opportunities to win some chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

p.s. earlier this week there was post about your gender. I really don't care. All I know is that when my wife figures out I am a idiot and leaves me, I plan to stalk you /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ryan