PDA

View Full Version : ESPN WSOP PLO coverage

Acesover8s
09-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Anybody else watching this?

Phils push on the river with 3s full was pretty bad, IMO. Also, Cunninghams 3-raise on the AAK66 flushed board with just AQ is amazingly bad.

Not sure what I think of Williamson's smoothcall there, I think he gets the rest of my chips if he has quads there. . .

Filip
09-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Gotta wait for the torrent.

Acesover8s
09-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Living in Poland sucks, eh?

onthebutton
09-27-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm hoping to grab the torrent too....I need to screencap the "D-O-N-K-E-Y" during the spelling bee.

BluffTHIS!
09-27-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else watching this?

Phils push on the river with 3s full was pretty bad, IMO. Also, Cunninghams 3-raise on the AAK66 flushed board with just AQ is amazingly bad.

Not sure what I think of Williamson's smoothcall there, I think he gets the rest of my chips if he has quads there. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Just watched it even though I don't play tourneys myself. Yea Helldonk's push was terrible. He only gets played with if beat but doesn't make any more when he's ahead by inducing a bluff or a bet by a worse hand. I imagine Cunningham thought he was making a resteal although with that many people in and a hand checked to the river I wouldn't think it had much chance of success. I think only the fact that there was 3 way interest slowed Williamson down.

But what I didn't like about Williamson is what he went out in 2nd with. He should have known that if he just smoothcalled Ivy with that QQx on the flop that Ivy would not bluff off any more chips on the turn if he was only bluffing the flop. So I think he should have minraised to see where he was at. A reraise or smoothcall by Ivy should then have alerted him to a trap situation. It's true that it was headsup, but given enough hands a trap situation is likely to occur sometime.

09-28-2005, 01:55 AM
The blinds are a little too high at this point to fold that hand. All he could do was to keep it as cheap as possible and not let it be the hand that broke him. This is still late-end tournament poker, there isn't the room to make moves like that. Ivey would have likely called any play made my Williamson.

MelchyBeau
09-28-2005, 02:03 AM
I fully expect to hear the term cooler over and over and over now.

Melch

joewatch
09-28-2005, 03:52 AM
That was a damn cooler!

mshalen
09-28-2005, 09:01 AM
I sat there and watched a game that was very different than the PLO that I play. The opening few hands made absolutely no sense at all. I couldn't understand what standards those guys were using for starting hands or that they were calling with hands I'd muck in a second. Of course Norman yelling "he has AK suited and two other cards" doesn't help.

As has become typical on ESPN, when the game is not holdem, the typical viewer who has no understanding of the game will be very confused and go watch Seinfeld reruns. They showed so few hands because they has to use the time for such interesting things as the spelling bee, a C movie actress (well sort of an actress) winning the girls only event, lots of interviews of players talking about other players and as always Phil being Phil.

illegit
09-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah that play by cunningham was just incredibly bad.

I thought the set v. set v. set v. nut flush draw hand was fun to watch though.

PokerFink
09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
I think Cunningham was just running a squeeze play to try to re-steal. He's not dumb enough to raise for value in that spot, and I'm not about to question his reads. He made a bad one, it happens.

illegit
09-28-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Cunningham was just running a squeeze play to try to re-steal. He's not dumb enough to raise for value in that spot, and I'm not about to question his reads. He made a bad one, it happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there any chance AT ALL that williamson is messing around when he raises on a A66KA board, with 5 still in the hand though? I mean it doesn't even seem like a remote possibility. Hellmuth may very well have a lay-downable hand but I don't think there's any chance in hell Williamson has anything less than the near-nuts in this spot.

liquid
09-28-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the set v. set v. set v. nut flush draw hand was fun to watch though.

[/ QUOTE ]

WSOP IS RIGGED

liquid
09-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I enjoyed the coverage of this tourney a lot more than the coverage of the $2k + rebuys event. It's a shame they didn't film the $10k final table as well. ESPN should be kicking themselves too since the heads-up F-bomb drama would have made good tv.

joewatch
09-28-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sat there and watched a game that was very different than the PLO that I play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Phil Ivey's game was quite similar to the way I play. I especialy liked the hand where he called the pot raise with QJxxds and bet out on the Jxx board. He correctly read the raise as AAxx, tried to make the aces hand lay down by representing JJxx, but then absolutely had the correct odds to call the all-in with his 11-outer. Phil Ivey rocks at PLO.

Another play I thought was great was Williamson making Ivey lay down his 2-pair aces/sixes by representing the nut straight on the turn with 99xx. vs. Ax76 board. He knows Ivey is a tight Omaha player, and even if he got called, he still had 4-outs. (sorry, I can't remember the xx cards right now.)

liquid
09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Another play I thought was great was Williamson making Ivey lay down his 2-pair aces/sixes by representing the nut straight on the turn with 99xx. vs. Ax76 board. He knows Ivey is a tight Omaha player, and even if he got called, he still had 4-outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, great hand. Williamson had KK99 suited in spades for a flush draw with straight blockers. The post-hand banter was classic.

Williamson: I had king high spades with it, with the straight draw.
Ivey: With a straight draw?
Williamson: I had a straight already... flr... str... straight originally.
Ivey: [nods, rolls eyes]

nh

illegit
09-28-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Williamson: I had king high spades with it, with the straight draw.
Ivey: With a straight draw?
Williamson: I had a straight already... flr... str... straight originally.
Ivey: [nods, rolls eyes]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I also liked Ivey calling Hellmuth a goofball earlier in the show. This was probably my favorite episode of WSOP coverage this year.

PokerFink
09-28-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there any chance AT ALL that williamson is messing around when he raises on a A66KA board, with 5 still in the hand though? I mean it doesn't even seem like a remote possibility. Hellmuth may very well have a lay-downable hand but I don't think there's any chance in hell Williamson has anything less than the near-nuts in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any chance at all Cunningham is raising for value there? Uh... no.

illegit
09-28-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there any chance at all Cunningham is raising for value there? Uh... no.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right.... he's bluffing. We established that. The question was: is there any chance Cunningham's bluff will work? The answer is no. THus: terrible play, as everyone said.

PokerFink
09-29-2005, 12:47 AM
You're right, I misinterpreted what your last post was saying.

jhall23
09-29-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, Cunninghams 3-raise on the AAK66 flushed board with just AQ is amazingly bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw this. Guess he was thinking...chip and a chair! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif