PDA

View Full Version : Hand from $530 Super Sattelite

09-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Last week I entered a $530 super satellite for the $5000 CA Poker Championship at Commerce. Players start out with 2k chips, and after about an hour, with blinds at 50 and 100, I'm down to around 1800. The table is aggressive with very little limping. Now, the hand:

UTG limps for 100, table folds to me in sb with 4,5os. I complete and bb checks.

Flop comes A,2,3 of hearts, giving me the nut straight. I bet 300 chips and utg raises to 1400, essentially putting me all in. He's new to the table and I haven't seen him play any hands. After debating, I call, figuring he's paired his A or has a good flush draw. I considered it unlikely that he had two hearts. Anyway, he turns over QJh to win. Should I have folded nut straight to his raise? I felt like I needed to start accumulating and it seemed like a good, though risky opportunity. So, hold'em or fold'em?

Firefly
09-27-2005, 09:31 PM
it's a good call
he could easily have an ace plus a flush draw. He could even have something like 44 with a heart. Of course being against the 2nd nut flush sucks, but i even think it's rare that he would play a flush that way.

kuro
09-27-2005, 10:06 PM
I get really stingy with my chips at this point in the tourney. You just don't flop well enough with 45o to complete here and play it out of position with your stack size. The utg limp is suspicious at the aggressive table you're describing. You also have to worry about BB raising it up and shutting you out preflop.

09-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Agree it was very loose call, and I'm folding without at least 2 pair on the flop. Essentially I hadn't seen a flop in the last half hour and wanted some "action." I got plenty. My main thinking with the straight was that he had less than 10% chance to have 2 hearts, and if he didn't then I was well ahead. In some places I can get get away from this hand, but I didn't this time.