PDA

View Full Version : dial up connection simultaneous with flaky LAN possible?

PLOlover
09-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi I've got a flaky LAN highspeed connection and I got a low cost dial up connection, but when I activate dial up the LAN seems to become inactive, eg, all internet activity goes thru the dial up connection.

The option to bridge network connections is only available for 2 or more highspeed connections in the My Network Places.

I'd like to have some sort of load balancing obviously so that if my LAN flakes out the dial up will take over.

Possible?

Wake up CALL
09-28-2005, 06:19 PM
You can assign specific programs to use specific connections but I'm not familiar with a way to automatically switch from one to another during while each is connected.

StevieG
09-28-2005, 06:54 PM
There may be a software solution to do this, I do not know.

There was a thread a little while ago about using a device that can simultaneously take in DSL and Cable high speed lines for failover protection and load balancing. linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=techhelp&Number=3393800)

But this would seem different because you are using a dial-up connection for one of the two inputs to the router.

PLOlover
09-29-2005, 12:26 AM
I looked into it and Vicomsoft InterGate and midsoft are a software solution but I guess I'll just switch to dial up when I start getting lag.