PDA

View Full Version : Borgata Sunday Tournaments

09-27-2005, 05:32 PM
I am planning on going down to Atlantic City on Sunday to play in my first live tournament (the $175+$25 weekly at the Borgata). I have been playing online for a year and a half, have read most of the requisite books, read these forums frequently and have had a fair amount of success playing - one first in a $30+3 tourney on Pokerroom, one second in a $100+10 on Pokerroom and three final tables in the last month or so on Party in various buy-in levels. Any suggestions for switching to live play and does anyone have any information on this tournament - how long does it last, how many people, etc.?

locutus2002
09-27-2005, 05:48 PM
You have to post the blinds manually.

09-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks - quite helpful

Doylestown
09-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Hey SEG - 1st of all good luck. Probably the thing you'll notice most is the pace, which is quite slow compared to what you're used to. I would guess you'll see 20 hands per hour - or about 10 per level if I remember the daily Borgata structure correctly. So in essence you'll post blinds about 1 time per level. You'll probably need to hit the gas pedal a little quicker than usual unless you're a super LAG to begin with.

Be very conscious of your cards at all times, especially in the 1 and 10 seat. The dealers have a nasty habit of grabbing live cards if you aren't protecting them. Keep on top of your chip count as well as others at your table as best you can. Don't cut/count/play with chips in front of your cards - they'll be considered a bet.

Try to have fun, it gets easy after the first few times. Oh, and never worry about taking some time if you need to when making a decision - you don't have a 15 second clock counting down.

Let us know how it turns out.

PS The Borgata is the class of AC.

locutus2002
09-27-2005, 06:51 PM
I actually spent some time looking through the archives but was unable to find anything. This question came up alot before the WSOP in June/July.

09-27-2005, 07:28 PM
I'll second the note about protecting your cards. Played a live tourney at the MGM in Vegas a month ago and saw this happen twice. Not good.

Also, it's vital to speak carefully when declaring a raise. What you say, regardless of what chips you have in your hand, or even in your stack, is binding. My first live tourney, I missed a level change up to 400-800 (was moving to a new table as it happened), and declared "raise 8," thinking I was minraising. Nope. Ended up forced betting 1600 with AJ in EMP. Yuck.

If you haven't found this yet, in the B&M forum, check it out -- lots of great advice.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2871144&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Good luck! And don't forget to tip your waitresses.

cwsiggy
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Just pay attention to the action so you don't slow it down. As another said, be very careful with your pushes and verbal declarations. Just say "raise 800" then get the chips. Do not arrange your chips/count them out/play with them in front of your cards or they will be considered in play. Borgata dealers are pretty picky about this as they should be.

Have fun. Flirt with the Borgata Babes.

Doylestown
09-27-2005, 07:37 PM
SEG - 1 more thing. 100 player field usually lasts 6-7 hours at Borgata if that helps.