PDA

View Full Version : FILM: Overlooked Movies

Georgia Avenue
09-27-2005, 05:00 PM
FINALLY I get netflix. I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of crap that I've put off becuase the wife forces me to watch "Sylvia" and junx rather than some random Brazilian 60's spy flick or whatever.

I'd love to hear some people's favorite obscure and rarely-viewed or rarely-discussed movies. I've seen just about everything made in the 90's but either way, thanks in advance.

My top 5 Completely Underrated Movies:
1. Deathwatch
2. Roadracers
3. Amongst Friends
4. eXistenZ
5. Angel Heart

mason55
09-27-2005, 05:03 PM
My favorite semi-obscure suggestion is Bully

send_the_msg
09-27-2005, 05:12 PM
i watched existenz a few days ago, crazy flick. cronenberg seems to like to stick weird things in weird holes....

private joker
09-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Criterion finally just released Mike Leigh's NAKED, one of the best films ever made. 1993, won Best Director at Cannes. I'm obsessed.

SL__72
09-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Off the top of my head:
Rodger Dodger
The Barbarian Invasions <-- I give this one 5/5 stars. /edit i guess that might be an exageration, but its really good.
Horseman on the Roof
Bon Voyage

Rick Nebiolo
09-27-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FINALLY I get netflix.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got Netflix a few days ago and posted two of my three DVDs at 4:30pm yesterday. I was amazed to see that they already got these two DVD's back and will be shipping the next two in my queue today. Sort of wonder if they pick up directly from the post office! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, here's a few underrated or under-appreciated flicks from about ten years ago:

Red Rock West
One False Move
The Last Seduction

I'm getting Sleuth next and remember enjoying that when I saw it many years ago.

~ Rick

Hamish McBagpipe
09-27-2005, 06:23 PM
The Ogre. Malkovich as a kind of anti-Forrest Gump Frenchman during the German takeover in WW2.

Dominic
09-27-2005, 07:03 PM
one of my all-time favorites (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085859/)

RunDownHouse
09-27-2005, 07:09 PM
Does Goodbye Lenin count?

SlackerMcFly
09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
"Slackers" (for obvious reasons).

miajag81
09-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Not as obscure as some of the others, but I really liked The Beast, and early-90s film about the Soviets in Afghanistan.

Moneyline
09-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Burt Lancaster rules.

Here's an eclectic list of mostly sleazy obscure movies that do not star Burt Lancaster:
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Black Belt Jones
Aguirre: The Wrath of God (or anything else by Werner Herzog)
Body Heat
Ms. 45
The Intruder (the one with Shatner)
Jungle Holocaust
Lady Snowblood
Targets
Soldier of Orange
The Conqueror (John Wayne as Genghis Khan)
Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS
The Hitchhiker

12ozLongneck
09-27-2005, 07:44 PM
State and Main
The Big Knife

Eurotrash
09-27-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite semi-obscure suggestion is Bully

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, I think I saw this late one night on HBO. is that the one where a bunch of teens plot the death of their one friend and basically beat him to (near) death with a baseball bat? that movie was crazy.

Blarg
09-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Diary of a Madman
The Hidden
The Silent Partner

sam h
09-28-2005, 02:21 AM
The Indian Runner

Dynasty
09-28-2005, 04:08 AM
I just started rewatchng a recent one: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

MyTurn2Raise
09-28-2005, 04:10 AM
The Tao of Steve

Dave G.
09-28-2005, 04:12 AM
Some years ago late in the early morning on TV I saw "Deathrow Gameshow". It's a very dark comedy movie about people on deathrow getting a chance to win their freedom on a gameshow. If they lose they get executed right there, and the families get money.

I was a teenager at the time so maybe that's why I liked it, perhaps it's too juvenile now, and I'm sure some of the special effects are dodgy as hell, but you might check it out for kicks. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ChipWrecked
09-28-2005, 04:14 AM
State of Grace.

send_the_msg
09-28-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FINALLY I get netflix.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got Netflix a few days ago and posted two of my three DVDs at 4:30pm yesterday. I was amazed to see that they already got these two DVD's back and will be shipping the next two in my queue today. Sort of wonder if they pick up directly from the post office! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, here's a few underrated or under-appreciated flicks from about ten years ago:

Red Rock West
One False Move
The Last Seduction

I'm getting Sleuth next and remember enjoying that when I saw it many years ago.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

netflix and blockbuster have a deal worked out with the post office so that the minute it gets scanned into the usps system, it's counted as "returned", so then a new movie gets sent to your place asap.

TheCroShow
09-28-2005, 04:21 AM
this movie is not as "underground/indie" as most of the ones mentioned, but Requiem For A Dream is overlooked. most ppl i know have not seen it and that's a crime!

Blarg
09-28-2005, 06:19 AM
It's not that simple.

Netflix customers are handled more slowly if they rent a lot of movies per month.

I have waited a few days for Netflix to acknowledge films sent back, and days more to get new ones sent out. They REALLY penalize you after a while if you use their service heavily.

I have had Ninja Scroll at the top of my movie queue for about five or six months now.

ChipWrecked
09-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Do you suppose they think you're pulling the old 'burn n turn'?

Blarg
09-28-2005, 07:06 AM
I think so, on the high volume customers especially. But even lower volume customers who have been around for a while don't need to be courted with good service anymore. Everyone gets great service for a while, but especially if they start using the service extensively, it craters.

Here's a link of a guy's testing of Netflix's service; excellent info and insight:

http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/

diebitter
09-28-2005, 07:12 AM
OK, coming at this from a guilty pleasure perspective:

Party Animal
Party Party
The Punisher (Dolph Lundgren)
Jason X
Better off Dead
One Crazy Summer
Any film that starts with 'young, dumb and full of...'

Sightless
09-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Runaway Jury? Anyone

Paluka
09-28-2005, 09:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not that simple.

Netflix customers are handled more slowly if they rent a lot of movies per month.

I have waited a few days for Netflix to acknowledge films sent back, and days more to get new ones sent out. They REALLY penalize you after a while if you use their service heavily.

I have had Ninja Scroll at the top of my movie queue for about five or six months now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Netflix in NYC is amazing. I've never heard of any problems like this. We might have some sort of super service here or something. It is insanely fast.

imported_The Vibesman
09-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Angel Heart and The Indian Runner have been mentioned, great movies. Freeway is a good, strange little movie. Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis and Chris Walken never gets any play.

bosoxfan
09-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Fandango

Georgia Avenue
09-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, y'all...

Most of these I haven't seen and will soon be on cue. Especially "Bully," since it sounds sick and British. Good combination...

SL__72
09-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I have Netflix in Minneapolis and VERY rarely have to wait for a movie. I'd also bet that I get a new movie 2 days after I ship the old one out 95% of the time.

TheBlueMonster
09-28-2005, 11:37 AM
1. Sweet Smell of Success
2. Touch of Evil
3. Night of the Hunter