PDA

View Full Version : Am I any good?

09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
I've just started playing online poker a few months ago. And I want your assessment to how am I doing?

65% playing 30/60; 25% 50/100; 10% 100/200 playing everyday for a few hours.
+$9k in jul
+$12.4k in aug (Had a few bad sessions)
+$25.2k sept (had a really horrible 2 day run where I lost $30k, but manage to recoup most of my losses in later sessions)

i'm an average player with tendencies to be tight/passive. However, the big negative is that when I'm losing, I tend to play in long sessions, I try to chase my loses and I play even worse.

I think I have good money management skills. If i'm at a table where i'm outclassed, I leave and find a different game. I generally try to play only short sessions, and quit when I'm ahead.

Am I just lucky, or can I keep playing at this level?

adspar
09-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Those results look nice, but its going to be hard to get a meanful answer with just that information. Your money management skills will serve you well, and it sounds like you know you should work on controlling yourself when you're losing.

I strongly suggested buying PokerTracker software to help you analyze your game. Most of people on these boards use it, and you'll get better advice if you can reference various poker tracker statistics about your game.

RicktheRuler
09-27-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've just started playing online poker a few months ago. And I want your assessment to how am I doing?

+$9k in jul
+$25.2k sept (had a really horrible 2 day run where I lost $30k, but manage to recoup most of my losses in later sessions)

i'm an average player with tendencies to be tight/passive. However, the big negative is that when I'm losing, I tend to play in long sessions, I try to chase my loses and I play even worse.

I think I have good money management skills. If i'm at a table where i'm outclassed, I leave and find a different game. I generally try to play only short sessions, and quit when I'm ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're awesome. Try out some of the bigger games.

Paluka
09-27-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

+$9k in jul

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by the the information you have given me, I would guess you are quite bad at poker.

BarronVangorToth
09-27-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
quit when I'm ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many reasons to quit a game (whether in the game itself OR externally in your own life) but "when I'm ahead" shouldn't be one of the reasons you use.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

PokerCad
09-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Legitimate post????? I dunno you on-line guys need to find himhttp://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/images/icons/laugh.gif
laugh Just a thought, maybe I'm wrong

BurnsvilleCardClub
09-27-2005, 07:51 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09-27-2005, 08:03 PM
From your answer, I guess you think I am lucky. Which is fine. I know I am not a good player. But know when to leave the table, can that compensate for being a "bad player"?

How much should one expect to win every month playing 30/60?

09-27-2005, 08:07 PM
The thing is, I've played long enough (card rooms, etc) to know that I'll make mistakes if I play in long sessions. So I try to compensate by using a "hit and run" strategy. Short term luck vs long sessions.

And sometimes I leave because I just don't to get stuck playing 10+ hour sessions, which I have known to do before.

If I win 95% of my session, that must be a good thing, rather than quiting because of a losing session, right?

lil feller
09-27-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, I've played long enough (card rooms, etc) to know that I'll make mistakes if I play in long sessions. So I try to compensate by using a "hit and run" strategy. Short term luck vs long sessions.

And sometimes I leave because I just don't to get stuck playing 10+ hour sessions, which I have known to do before.

If I win 95% of my session, that must be a good thing, rather than quiting because of a losing session, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, just...wow.

lf

BarronVangorToth
09-27-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, I've played long enough (card rooms, etc) to know that I'll make mistakes if I play in long sessions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine. I would say this then instead - that you quit a game because you don't think you can play your A Game beyond X amount of time. That is 100% legitimate in my book (as are handfuls of other reasons).

In fact, you should be commended for realizing that your game deteriorates over time - many often play well beyond when they should (yours truly included from time to time).

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

James282
09-27-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, just...wow.

lf

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys realize he is just trolling right?
-James