PDA

View Full Version : Going Postal

09-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Ok, moved into a new place, I've got like 3 tons of mail in 2 days for the person who used to live here. What is my legal responsibility with this mail? Anyone know?

Doesn't anyone friggan contact people and say I'm moving to "x" please stop sending mail to "y".

God.

09-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Send it back to the post office, they will eventaully get sick of sending it to you but I don't think they can stop sending the mail to your place unless the old tenant request it. As far as I know you have no responsibility to keep or tell anyone about the mail.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Put a sticker inside your mailbox list saying "Mail for Perrier only!"

It should stop.

09-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Thx so far, in case I didn't make it clear I am most interested about my legal responsibility. I want to be able to take the mail and chuck it. Is that cool?

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thx so far, in case I didn't make it clear I am most interested about my legal responsibility. I want to be able to take the mail and chuck it. Is that cool?

[/ QUOTE ]

First open it and see if there's money inside any of it.

DaveKForty7
09-27-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First open it and see if there's money inside any of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya do that, or better yet, look for embarassing/incriminating type stuff and post it here.

09-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Have you talked to your letter carrier or called the P.O.?

Since the former resident evidently didn't take a moment to fill out a change of address notice, the P.O. is obligated to deliver it to the address shown. And they'll keep on doing it... and doing it... and doing it.

I'm going through your situation right now. I draw a line across the name/address block and write "Moved." The ball is now back in the P.O.'s court. If I kept it and/or disposed of it, I'd be guilty of a P.O. "law." Jeeze, I got enough trouble with IRS, I don't need another buncha bue-row-crats an my ass.

If you've got a stack of it, tie it all together and put a note on top - "Moved. Address unknown." Pain in the ass, I know.

Most 1st class business mail has the little notice to the P.O. about wanting to be advised if the envelope was undeliverable. The P.O. returns these to the sender (like the E.P. song) and they change their records. Saves them postage.

OK, that's all for today's U.S.P.S. lesson, boys and girls, there'll be a quiz next week.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-27-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I kept it and/or disposed of it, I'd be guilty of a P.O. "law."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true or are you just making it up? Why is "law" in quotation marks? Obviously I'm paranioid about this cause I can tell they were dumb enough not to even change their address with their bank and other important crap like that. At the same time, I am not a forwarding service for the former resident.

09-27-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...Why is "law" in ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Postal Regulations carry the weight of law, in the sense they can, and frequently are, enforced. In Federal Court. Jail time and heavy fines are at their disposal.

Would they, in your case, go this far. Who knows? Probably not, but I'm not advising you about anything. Just passing on information. (my lawyer told me to say that /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

If you haven't yet received phone calls for the former resident, you probably will. Mostly from bill collectors. I'd bet a roll on them being skippers. If you were to open (AND I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS!!) their bank statement, it's probably O/D.

09-27-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not advising you about anything. Just passing on information. (my lawyer told me to say that /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic lawyer

09-27-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

...Why is "law" in ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Postal Regulations carry the weight of law, in the sense they can, and frequently are, enforced. In Federal Court. Jail time and heavy fines are at their disposal.

Would they, in your case, go this far. Who knows? Probably not, but I'm not advising you about anything. Just passing on information. (my lawyer told me to say that /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

If you haven't yet received phone calls for the former resident, you probably will. Mostly from bill collectors. I'd bet a roll on them being skippers. If you were to open (AND I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS!!) their bank statement, it's probably O/D.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing I don't hook up a phone. BTW I will be blaming this all on your bad influence. Good luck talking your way out of those charges!

09-28-2005, 01:43 AM
I wuz outta town! I got witnezzes! You ain't got no case!

gildwulf
09-28-2005, 01:46 AM
It's illegal to destroy someone else's mail. That being said, just throw it in the trash. Everyone else does it.