PDA

View Full Version : Truepoker Credit Police

PokerPaul
05-14-2003, 10:56 AM
I had a peculiar email from truepoker this morning.

They said that there was a problem with my credit card validation, and that certain additional aspects about me needed to be verified. Keep in ind i have been playing there for quite some time, and all my deposits and cashouts have worked fine.

All of a sudden i get this notice, and they say i need to fax them a copy of my drivers license, with picture and signature visible, and also part of my social security number, so they could verify who i am.

I am all for internet credit card security, but i think in this case they are way overstepping their realm of what they need to know from an individual. Do they honestly think i want to send this very confidential information over the internet. Who knows what they will do with it after?

In the end truepoker is a faceless gambling site, located somewhere in cyberspace, with their servers and physical entity somewhere in an offshore juristiction to purposely escape the laws of the US or canada.

Is it just me being paranoid, or would most others here willingly hand your info over?

I sent them a reply stating this, and that i am not comfortable with just handing this over. NOr did they ever inform me of the nature of this so called validation issue.

Who knows, i'm a traveling businessman, who sometimes might have different Ip addresses from different geographical areas all over North America, and maybe thats what alarmed them, but they should discuss this with me first before demanding i just hand them my most confidential personal info.

So lets see, for me to continue playing there, they will have my credit card number, address, email, divers license with picture, a signature sample, and a possibly a social security number. ANY organization with ALL that info about a person in their hand could do some serious damage. Not something I want an offshore, online gambling site to have on me.

Feel free to disagree with me....i welcome feedback on what i consider a touchy subject....

Your Mom
05-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Drivers License I can see, Social Security Number - hell no!

MS Sunshine
05-14-2003, 12:53 PM
I agree with Your Mom, they should be able to know who you are with the DL, but I would never give out the SSN.

MS Sunshine

Emperor
05-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Well assuming that you have 5 other aliases with ID's SSN's and passports (like everyone should have), you should have signed up using one of those aliases and used the corresponding SSN.

Giving false identification information is only illegal where the federal government is concerned, and since online poker is unregulated, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you used your "real" ID and they wan't your "real" SSN, then thats ok to. I would just make sure to get working on those other 5 backup aliases, ID's and SSN's. Just in case.