PDA

View Full Version : Question on 8-Tabling

adam61
09-27-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm toying with the idea of buying 2 new Dell 2001fp monitors so I can 8-table. Couple questions mainly are is it worth giving up about 1 months poker income for the ability to make more later? If I'm relatively bored 4-tabling (meaning I browse the internet, watch TV, talk on the phone, daydream) while playing, will 8-tabling seriously effect my ROI. And lastly is there a better way to 8-table or is dropping $1,000 on monitors the only real way? And For REAL lastly, what's a good secondary SNG site to have with empire for 8-tabling.

Degen
09-27-2005, 03:24 PM
i never made any money 8 tabling till i got them and i tried all kindsa weird setups

i spent 2k for the comp and two monitors and it was the best investment i've ever made

also consider just buying one at first...

Hornacek
09-27-2005, 03:29 PM
For Degen (or others who would know):

My 2001FP should have arrived today. I've set up RB with EuroBet, so I can hopefully 8-table with Empire and EuroBet. However:

a) I now have the 2001FP and my crappy 17' LCD that has overlap. Should I really consider buying another 2001FP? The overlap hasn't bothered me for the past 2 years... keep in mind if I bought another 2001FP, I would probably have 3 monitors for my CPU... I'd prob put the 2001FPs on the side, sandwiching the smaller monitor...

b) I'm assuming there's no problem playing Euro and Empire at the same time. I have friends (irl) who 8 table, and always complain about Euro and its interface. Does anyone else feel this way? What are your gripes about Euro?

c) Following up with b), it seems like most people 8-table with Empire and Euro. Why are InterTops and MultiPoker so seldomly used? Are they bad as well? (I've never had any problems with Empire).

Thanks!

Hornacek.

Nicholasp27
09-27-2005, 03:33 PM
buy the 21" dell trinitron crts instead

they are <$200 but take up more desk space

there are also some cheaper 17/19" monitors as well...all u need is ANY monitor capable of displaying 1600x1200...

my work monitor is 17" and i use 1600x1200 on it...

so the question really is "is it worth dropping a month's income into monitors that look nicer and take up less space?"

depends on your desk/table situation and then how much the looks of the setup matters to you...

getting lcds instead of crts can be -ev

eurobet is another pp skin that gives 25% rb through the advertising sites to your right

8-table may lower your roi, but it should increase your $/hr

Degen
09-27-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Should I really consider buying another 2001FP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try it out like that. I have a friend who 10 tables cash games on his laptop and a crt w/ overlap and he does fine. UMTerp here does it all on one screen too...sez he does fine. I just couldn't do it. I say just try it with that one and your CRT and buy another one with profit later if you like.

Once you get it tho, you're gonna want another one, trust me /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

there's no problem playing Euro and Empire at the same time

[/ QUOTE ]

correct

I've only used empire and party, dunno about others

Hornacek
09-27-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only used empire and party, dunno about others

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you using Party? I thought there was no RB set up for it? Isn't that just -EV?

Nicholasp27
09-27-2005, 03:42 PM
there is rb for party
just not 'officially'

Degen
09-27-2005, 03:43 PM
just got my second empire account setup, i wasn't getting rakeback on 4 tables for awhile...yes, v v v -EV

party is good for MTT's tho...

Hornacek
09-27-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just got my second empire account setup, i wasn't getting rakeback on 4 tables for awhile...yes, v v v -EV

party is good for MTT's tho...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the question barrage:

Is this second account set up for a friend's name?

Your CPU lets you run dual counts of Empire at the same time? How does that work? If I could do that, that would be better, since Empire can offer a higher RB amount.

Degen
09-27-2005, 04:00 PM
pm sent

GtrHtr
09-27-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is rb for party
just not 'officially'

[/ QUOTE ]

GTR

adam61
09-27-2005, 04:13 PM
YOU CAN'T SAY WHAT YOU SAID IN THIS FIRST SENTENCE. DON'T DO IT. -citanul

Also what is a good shipped price for 2001fp and is that still the only real monitor to buy? Any other parts/stands/adaptors I need with an X800XL?

And also is it truly worth it, $1000 just makes me a little sick when I paid $1200 for my computer /images/graemlins/smile.gif But if it's +$hr I guess 4-6 weeks I'll have it back, just seems like a lot.

schwza
09-27-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is rb for party
just not 'officially'

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like the 3d post I've read about this with no details. PM me if that works better, but I'd really like to know what the deal is with this.

GTR

[/ QUOTE ]

i signed a friend of mine up under my affiliate code on party and i've been giving him the rakeback. i'm guessing that's what's meant by unofficial rakeback.

but if there's something better/different please let me know.

Nicholasp27
09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
no, it's not the only real monitor to buy

any decent 17" will give you 1600x1200 resolution...resolution is ALL that matters for getting the 4 tables to appear with no overlap

getting a 2001fp lcd is just about looks and bling, unless you really do not have the desk space for a normal monitor

adam61
09-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Desk space is a concern because I just have a small desk the single CRT dominates. so 2 LCDs is fine, but definitely give me other options plz $500x2 is a crapload.

Slim Pickens
09-27-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

a) I now have the 2001FP and my crappy 17' LCD that has overlap. Should I really consider buying another 2001FP? The overlap hasn't bothered me for the past 2 years... keep in mind if I bought another 2001FP, I would probably have 3 monitors for my CPU... I'd prob put the 2001FPs on the side, sandwiching the smaller monitor...

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had some problems 8-tabling with one 2001FP and one 14" laptop screen. I think maybe brightness might be the issue, but it's also strange visually to have 4 "good" tables and 4 "bad" tables. I'm planning on buying a whole new setup with a second 2001FP if I'm ever going to 8-table above the 33's. As for sandwiching the small between the two big, wouldn't this just lead to a lot of extra mouse movement and next swivelling? There's also the problem of tracking the pointer across screens of different resolution. Sometimes it gets "stuck" when you do that.

[ QUOTE ]

b) I'm assuming there's no problem playing Euro and Empire at the same time. I have friends (irl) who 8 table, and always complain about Euro and its interface. Does anyone else feel this way? What are your gripes about Euro?

[/ QUOTE ]
Euro lobby sucks, but not too much more than Empire. Moving money is hard and sometimes you don't get tournament summaries. I use a pokermod skin so all my tables look the same.

[ QUOTE ]

c) Following up with b), it seems like most people 8-table with Empire and Euro. Why are InterTops and MultiPoker so seldomly used? Are they bad as well? (I've never had any problems with Empire).

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Empire and Eurobet offer the best combination of sucking the least and decent rakeback. That's why I picked them.

Nicholasp27
09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
well i have a 21" dell trinitron crt at home, which i love (for games, movies, etc), but for poker, a 17" crt that does 1600x1200 is all you need...get 2 of those and get a larger desk

u can go to any local comp shop and get a used 17" for <$100

for 150ish you can be done
or if u also need a desk, for 250-300ish u can be done

the money you save could buy you a projector, a laptop, 70 dvds or 800 bottles of beer

chisness
09-27-2005, 04:54 PM
i've now got 8 20" flat panels and really think they're amazing investments (1 setup for home, 1 for school)

if you don't think it's worth it, make yourself play a little more for the next month to pay it off

for someone who sits at the computer at almost all non-out times, it's REALLY nice to be able to have lots of space and to be able to 12 table and still have some room for web browser, AIM, and lobbies that can get hectic

it makes playing far less monotonous with that extra area

Hendricks433
09-27-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use a pokermod skin so all my tables look the same.

[/ QUOTE ] I have a poker mod to get rid of the seats and stuff but is there a better one than chip mod? or can I use the green felt on on there and just move all the files in Party's folder and move it to empire or euro's folder? Sorry to hijack

Slim Pickens
09-27-2005, 05:53 PM
I just unzipped this file (http://pokermods.com/assets/downloads/multigreen.zip) into my EmpirePoker\Images\ and CoralEurobetPoker\Images\ folders.

09-27-2005, 06:01 PM
could you send that here too, please? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freudian
09-27-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had some problems 8-tabling with one 2001FP and one 14" laptop screen. I think maybe brightness might be the issue, but it's also strange visually to have 4 "good" tables and 4 "bad" tables. I'm planning on buying a whole new setup with a second 2001FP if I'm ever going to 8-table above the 33's. As for sandwiching the small between the two big, wouldn't this just lead to a lot of extra mouse movement and next swivelling? There's also the problem of tracking the pointer across screens of different resolution. Sometimes it gets "stuck" when you do that.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Euro lobby sucks, but not too much more than Empire. Moving money is hard and sometimes you don't get tournament summaries. I use a pokermod skin so all my tables look the same.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Empire and Eurobet offer the best combination of sucking the least and decent rakeback. That's why I picked them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Multipoker. It is great for me. Free bankwire for europeans (I think Eurobet may have that also but I would have to deposit from my bank account to activate it).

swiftrhett
09-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Based on the results you posted earlier. I strongly suggest that you spend the money on 2 cheap crts and 8 table the 11's. I'm very happy 8 tabling the 11's for $20/ hour for a while.

Degen
09-27-2005, 09:36 PM
spoken like a man not looking at two of them right now

MrX
09-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Am I the only player that 8 tables on ONE monitor??? A 1600x1200 laptop or sometimes desktop, 109's in sets. Does not leave room for me to be distracted by the internet and everything is in my FOV at once. I have this rhythmic clockwise clicking of every tablethat keeps them all in the front momentarily.

X

X

raptor517
09-27-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only player that 8 tables on ONE monitor??? A 1600x1200 laptop or sometimes desktop, 109's in sets. Does not leave room for me to be distracted by the internet and everything is in my FOV at once. I have this rhythmic clockwise clicking of every tablethat keeps them all in the front momentarily.

X

X

[/ QUOTE ]

my old roomate 8 tabled 109s on a laptop monitor. it was 1920x1200 tho, so was a tad easier than 1600x1200. most people dont because its worth 400 bucks to just add a screen and see everything easier. holla

Kanchi
09-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Where do you get rakeback for 2 Empire accounts from? My current one wouldn't let me add an Empire.

hummusx
09-27-2005, 09:53 PM
As someone that switched from a very nice 21" CRT to a 2001fp I thought I'd chip in with my thoughts. I LOVE my 2001fp. If you are serious about poker and make a steady stream of money at it, I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend buying 1 or 2. I've got 2 now, and have never regretted the purchase for a second.

MrX
09-27-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

X

X

[/ QUOTE ]

my old roomate 8 tabled 109s on a laptop monitor. it was 1920x1200 tho, so was a tad easier than 1600x1200. most people dont because its worth 400 bucks to just add a screen and see everything easier. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, I should add that as a Dad with 2 kids < 21 months old I only play poker for a few hrs after the kids (and wife)have gone to bed. I almost need the laptop for those times when the infant needs a midnight feeding.

Yes, that means I continue playing the 8 tables as I make the bottle, change the diaper, and then do the feeding with 3 month old in one arm, wireless mouse in one hand, and bottle supported with other hand or other body part..it is quite a feat. All you college kids make me glad I am not 12 yrs younger or I would have prob quit college, or at least not gone on to get the training I received (although this is the first yr I can make more at my job than poker).

X

NiR
09-28-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm toying with the idea of buying 2 new Dell 2001fp monitors so I can 8-table. Couple questions mainly are is it worth giving up about 1 months poker income for the ability to make more later? If I'm relatively bored 4-tabling (meaning I browse the internet, watch TV, talk on the phone, daydream) while playing, will 8-tabling seriously effect my ROI. And lastly is there a better way to 8-table or is dropping $1,000 on monitors the only real way? And For REAL lastly, what's a good secondary SNG site to have with empire for 8-tabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

i 8 table with 1 laptop with every table overlapped. i do goot. but im a [censored] prodigy!! lol.. but anyway i think u should give 1 monitor 8 tabling first. if u cant then buy a extra monitor. not like u need any reads 8 tabling sng's anyway lol.

MegaBet
09-28-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

X

X

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't AllInLuckBot(x) post a picture here of his setup on his laptop? That was crazy!

MegaBet
09-28-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As someone that switched from a very nice 21" CRT to a 2001fp I thought I'd chip in with my thoughts. I LOVE my 2001fp. If you are serious about poker and make a steady stream of money at it, I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend buying 1 or 2. I've got 2 now, and have never regretted the purchase for a second.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a 2001fp with my laptop to 8-table, slight overlap on my 17" laptop. Qucik question for you. Do you need a special adaptor to use 2x2001fp's? Or can you just link the 2 monitors together via the USB ports?

Thanks.

chisness
09-28-2005, 07:08 PM
mega, you can't do 2 monitors + laptop on a laptop without a special external video card (i'm not sure how that works and i know they're VERY expensive (>$1000))

you CAN (on some laptops with 2 ports) have 2 external monitors and have the laptop monitor turned off (which is kinda dumb)

with a desktop, almost all video cards will support 2 monitors -- special ones are needed if you want more than 2

MegaBet
09-28-2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks. I was pretty sure that was the case, but just needed confirmation seeing as this topic arose.

Freudian
09-28-2005, 07:25 PM
The biggest advantage to 8-tabling is that you can choose to a) play more tables/day or b) play less hours each day.

Both are good options. I use a mix of them currently.

chisness
09-28-2005, 07:30 PM
mega, it's actually funny that you bring this up

dell had told me that i could in fact do 3 monitors with a laptop + 2 more, but only with their best video card only available on the gaming system

it turned out, however, that the system was not capable of this (and was the same as my prior inspiron 9300) -- this pissed me off pretty bad and even worse when support claimed they had no record of me calling in to ask about it and that i should've done my research, then refused to pay for return shipping even when i offered an online chat support transcript (they eventually did, but their support is just retardedly awful)

chisness
09-28-2005, 07:31 PM
definitely, less hours per day is absolutely huge for me since i'm in school

J-Lo
09-28-2005, 07:44 PM
most laptop vid cards WON'T suppport 2 xternal monitors... so you have to buy an xternal vid card that goes into some slot in laptop... very xpensive... cheaper to get a normal PC--- also, what could work is a laptop "station" where u put laptop in it, and it acts like s desktop w/ everytihing attaced to "station"..

chisness
09-28-2005, 07:45 PM
beware of advertisements that say they support 2 external monitors, cause some do but then only the 2 external ones, not 3

ebaudry
09-29-2005, 02:17 AM
"pm sent"

Degen, please oh please send me that same info (how to 2-acct. on empire). I can't deal with losing any more RB. I feel like a moron.

Thanks,
Eric

ebaudry
09-29-2005, 02:20 AM
"i signed a friend of mine up under my affiliate code on party and i've been giving him the rakeback. i'm guessing that's what's meant by unofficial rakeback."

That part seems "normal" enough. No reason all us without wives out there should suffer /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But doesn't Empire notice that 2 different people are theoretically logged onto their site from the same computer? Wouldn't they wonder about the logistics of that? Do you have to use 2 different, side-by-side computers with some shnazy firewall or something?

Thanks.

Degen
09-29-2005, 02:30 AM
they are either too stupid to notice, or they don't care

i think it is a combination of these two things

chisness
09-29-2005, 03:31 AM
makes sense for them to not care -- why send some of their biggest players to their competitors?

RikaKazak
09-29-2005, 04:02 AM
eurobet gives 35% not 25% empire and pp give ( I currently get 32% at euro)

se2schul
09-29-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

But doesn't Empire notice that 2 different people are theoretically logged onto their site from the same computer? Wouldn't they wonder about the logistics of that? Do you have to use 2 different, side-by-side computers with some shnazy firewall or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, they notice, but I don't think they care.

I signed my GF up for rakeback under my affiliate account. She'll play the $6 tournaments recreationally (she refuses to "gamble" and play the $11s) while I play the $33s right beside her. We're playing from the same IP address simultaneously.

They phoned me and asked me if I knew her. All I had to say was that she was living with me. They wanted to check, but didn't seem to care.