PDA

View Full Version : Interesting play with 22-77 from sb when folded too!!

theordinaryboy
09-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I was re-reading hoh2 today and in particular focused on the heads up section. Well i've only gone and misplaced it haven't i. Anyway harrington stated that heads-up you should never be afraid to go all-in with a pocket pair as the odds that your opponent has one are very high.

Now when it is folded round to you on the small blind you are essentially in heads-up play (albeit for possibly only one hand).

How would you play 22-77?

you could raise but then if called you would have little idea where you were at except for when u hit your set. Also there is almost certainly going to be some overcards. Not to mention you being out of position.

Now the play i am going to suggest has many if's and special circumstances but could be a useful weapon in your armoury.

Stacks are relatively large enough say 20-25xbb or higher, big blind is relatively aggressive and defends his blinds, big blind is a good player.

just completing with the intention to re-raise all-in if raised.

Obviously if big blind just checks then this doesnt work but it has at least kept the pot small.

If big blind does raise, what hands are there that he does this with. Many in my opinion, i was watching howard lederer on the poker channel and some guy completed to howard's big blind and howard raised him, the other guy went "how did i know that was coming" and folded, whilst howard said "i just cant let you do that, especially on tv".

Even if we give big blind good starting hands like AQ or 99 could big blind really call that all-in.

I know that if i was there with 99 i would think i am either behind or a coin flip its just not worth it, but this might we a leak in my game.

Anyway i just thought i'd throw that out there, taking harrington's statement that the odds of both players having pocket pairs in a heads up situation one step further perhaps.

Anyway any thought???