PDA

View Full Version : How to find soft tables

09-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Hi i play most of the time at 6max 1/2 $ tables. what kind of preferences do you have when you choose a table. what is better if the average pot size is small, medium or big ? how high do you want the preflop percentage if shown like on stars or ultimatebet. does anybody have an easy system to define player types like loose, tight, agressive, passive, weak, calling station ?

cartman
09-27-2005, 02:03 PM
I think it is more about the individual line up than it is about the aggregate numbers. One huge calling station, especially close to you on your right can easily be enough to keep you at a table. One hyper-aggressive 3-bettor on your left can be enough to cause me to leave. I generally try to sit with at least one very loose-passive player preflop (they are almost always calling stations postflop as well) or a maniac and I definitely prefer to have them on my right. If you can find more than one of these "attractions" then that is even better.

Cartman

ZZZ
09-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Why do you play poker? If it's to make decent money in the long run, then don't worry about table selection at 1/2. You aren't going to be making big money there, so your goal should be to get better. Playing with decent players occasionally will help you move up in limits quicker.

It's not like you will lose your shirt playing at the tougher 1/2 tables. They should all be beatable with a little work and discipline.

ZZZ

kidcolin
09-27-2005, 02:15 PM
You could use PT stats. I don't. I open up a table (3/6), take a look at stack sizes (not even close to an indicator of skill, but if I see 4 $30-$80 stacks at a 3/6 table, at least two of them will suck), I watch a few hands, see if I see a lot of limping, raising, etc. I use my buddylist, as well.

One thing I've been doing lately. Unless I find a really juicy table, I look for 3 handed tables. Fish love these, for some reason. Usually 2 of the 3 will be super fish, and within 5 minutes of me sitting down, the other seats fill up with guys buying in for $50, or $36.54. It's great.

RunDownHouse
09-27-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could use PT stats. I don't. I open up a table (3/6), take a look at stack sizes (not even close to an indicator of skill,

[/ QUOTE ]
I know you acknowledged it wasn't an indicator of skill, but I thought I'd chime in anyways. Before I started using PokerAce, I'd generally do the same thing. Look for some sub-$100 stacks and sit. If the table had 2 stacks over $300 I'd generally stay away.

Using PokerAce has completely changed that. I'm finding that, more often than not, the biggest stacks at the table will be 40-50 VPIP and a variety of pfr numbers. More and more I see a big stack and can't wait for PA to tell me how big of an idiot he is.

NLSoldier
09-27-2005, 02:57 PM
These tables are pretty soft (http://www.partypoker.com)