PDA

View Full Version : Flat calling AK for my stack

ahnuld
09-27-2005, 12:39 PM
I played this hand a few days ago and didnt like my play on almost streets, particularly the flop. Was wondering what the better flop line is or if I did in fact play it correctly.

Tightish player opens for 20. I flat call with AK suited. We both have 400 and take the flop heads up.

Flop comes AJ4 suits not important. 44 in pot. He bets 40, I call. Turn is 8.

Bets 100, I call. River pairs the 4. Board reads AJ844. He bets 240 into 324 pot. I call.

9cao
09-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Full ring? Positition of the Villain? Blinds are 2-4 I assume?

09-27-2005, 01:06 PM
I'd probably play it similar, with just top pair or an overpair I'd rather let the other player do the betting for me, since I probably can't make a bet or raise that a worse hand will call, yet my hand could still be good. His bets are all big though which makes it a tough hand. Maybe raise it to 80 or 100 on the flop to slow him down? If he makes another big bet or raise he almost certainly has AK beat unless he's crazy loose.

Leptyne
09-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Raise the flop. Then play poker.

ahnuld
09-27-2005, 01:45 PM
This was full ring btw, and I was in position.

If I raise flop, say to 120-150, and then he pushes, is it a fold? If he smooth calls, then I check behind on turn and call river bet right? Just getting my lines right.

Big_Jim
09-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Against many players, I like this line. Let him overplay his AQ.

No scary draws on the board, and your hand is probably best, no need to blow him off a second best hand.

09-27-2005, 02:45 PM
So what did he end up having JJ?

9cao
09-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Hate to be picky but I knew you were in position but I wanted to know Villain's exact seat. CO verus UTG is much different, especially since the open raise was big if it is 2-4. I would be very worried about JJ in this spot and probably call down all the way. AQ might call your raise but you chop or are losing to all other hands other that call if you raise.

ahnuld
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
He was in MP1, and I was directly to his left. So the general feeling is that calling down is fine since it maximizes AQ and catches bluffs? what about folding, should I ever consider it?

greg nice
09-27-2005, 04:26 PM
the problem is that anyone who responds has no clue on how the villian plays. you have to use YOUR knowledge of the opponent to make decisions that are +ev. once you do that, you will see that posting a hand like this has no benefit, because no response you get will be as good as your live read.

did you play it fine? how do we know? you say he is 'tightish'. how tight? tight pre or post flop? how often will he fire 2nd barrel on turn with top pair medium kicker? how often will he fire a 3rd street?

should you raise the flop? fck if i know. will he call with worse hands? will he raise all in only when you are beat? whos gonna make the mistake on the flop or later streets if you raise?

i am not coming to any conclusions because i dont know the villian. i dont know how the villian perceives the hero. i dont know a lot of information thats needed to give a worthwhile opinion. these are the things you need to consider when playing the hand.

cero_z
09-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi ahnuld,

[ QUOTE ]
what about folding, should I ever consider it?

[/ QUOTE ]
You should consider it, but probably not do it at 2-4 with only 100BBs against an unknown player. If he's very tight, good, and sees you the same way, this is a fold; otherwise not, usually. But, your spider sense was right to be tingling: this is not a great spot. Up until the river, you were trapping; once he makes that large of a bet, you have a tough call.