PDA

View Full Version : Mock me for checking here

09-27-2005, 12:12 PM
This hand occured like a week ago and its been bugging me ever since, so I thought I should ask you guys. I've actually got a two part question about this hand:

The villain is a very solid player that I think plays better than me, he's 26/18/2.9.

Please answer the first question without looking at the results, and then look at them for the second question.

1) How horrible was my turn check? I know it was bad, I can't go check/calling everytime a scare card comes. And I don't even know why the K is that big of a scare card after a flop cap. Does anyone tuck their tail here and check/call it down against an aggressive player?

2) How good was his line? I think I like it a lot the only problem with it is that against an aggressive player (myself) he's not going to get to check behind on that turn very often at all. He gets that free card maybe 1 time in 10. Is this a line anyone would use against a tight aggressive opponent?

Oh also you can mock me for the river call to but I know thats a problem with my game and am working to fix it.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (8.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qh Qc (one pair, queens).
Button has 8c Ac (two pair, aces and eights).
Outcome: Button wins 10.16 BB. </font>

MoDOH
09-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah you got to bet this turn, by checking you are allowing your opponent to make the correct decision too often...
Although the card sucks you have to bet it, since itīs a blind battle I donīt think you can fold to a raise

cartman
09-27-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't think the check is bad at all. I think you are very behind here. He capped preflop and you showed a ton of strength on the flop anyway. When he puts the fourth bet in on the flop he is making a very powerful statement. I would expect him to have AA or TT here very frequently followed by KK then JJ, then the other QQ.

Cartman

King Yao
09-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I think checking is slightly better than betting on the Turn.

There's no flush draw on the Flop - if there was, you have to bet. So we can throw out one of the reasons for betting the Turn.

If he has AA, KK, AK, TT you are likely going to get raised - and obviously you don't like it.

If he has AT, JJ, then you lose a bet. What's more likely between these two type of hands? It seems more likely that you are beat...although you clearly have enough strength and equity to see the River.

As for your opponent's play: based on the results, I would put him in the category of "possibly too aggressive pre-River when he has position".

King Yao
09-27-2005, 01:44 PM
by the way, I think you should call the River. The pot is big enough..he checked the Turn too...so he could possibly have JJ.

TStoneMBD
09-27-2005, 02:27 PM
you need to bet the turn and call a raise. normally i slow down on the flop against reasonable opponents but 2.9AF is truly really really aggressive. capping has value but the problem lies within the fact that you cant feel safe bet/folding the turn against a player so aggressive. it shows here that villain 3bet the flop with a worse hand so touche on the cap.

btw i typed all that out without looking at results

09-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Thats the only reason I did call the river was because of the possibility of JJ.