PDA

View Full Version : ROI - what are you looking for?

Dr. Badhead
09-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Obviously you'd like to have as big an ROI as possible. But what range are you looking for? If you have an ROI of $2 in 10+1's is that good? At what point do you begin to look to move up to the next level, or is ROI not a good statistic to consider when making that decision?

Sabrazack
09-27-2005, 12:06 PM
CIIIIITANUUUUL

Seriously, read the FAQ. It's right at the top of the forum in BIG BOLD LETTERS.

Hornacek
09-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Personally I'm looking for the

READ THE GODDAMN FAQ

roi. Is that any good?

Dr. Badhead
09-27-2005, 12:12 PM
with respect, I have read the FAQ. Perhaps my question doesn't belong, but if so, I'm not sure why. I understand what ROI is - I'm not looking for advice as to whether or not I should move from any level to another - I'm just trying to get a better idea of how to interpret ROI. People mention it a lot. How important is it? What is a "good" number, etc... By all means, pull the post down if this is an inappropriate question.

Degen
09-27-2005, 12:15 PM
ffaaaaaaqq

citanul
09-27-2005, 12:15 PM
>0 is good, $2 is not a measurement of ROI, it's only important if you like money, and the question that you think eluded you in the FAQ is indeed answered in the faq, that being "what are good rois?"

citanul

Degen
09-27-2005, 12:16 PM
its all that matters

30% is very good at the lower levels...if you are under 10% you need to get better (or are just running bad)

ROI means nothing until you have a MASSIVE sample

brimstone1
09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
[i]Let's all make a pact where we don't dignify ignorant posts by replying to them.

Just say 'read the faq' and move on.

If someone has already said 'read the faq,' don't respond, and just move on.

Way too many ignorant threads get tens of responses for any ignoramus to stop and think 'hrm, maybe I shouldn't be so ignorant!'

Because frankly, these lame, over-done, answered-in-the-faq threads get much more attention than serious ones.[i]

pergesu
09-27-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm happy as long as my ROI doesn't start with a -

bawcerelli
09-27-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[i]

Just say 'read the faq' and move on.

[i]

[/ QUOTE ]

better yet, a simple 'faq you' should do as well.

unfrgvn
09-27-2005, 02:43 PM
If the question is should ROI be the only measure of when you move up, then I would say no. Some points/questions I would consider:
You should have sufficient bankroll to support the move up and the seemingly inevitable down swing that goes along with the move up. Have you played enough SNG's at a given level for your ROI to be meaningful? Are you able to outplay the majority of your opponents the majority of the time? Are you comfortable playing at the higher limit? (this one has been a problem for me) Hope this helps.

From the FAQ:

[ QUOTE ]

What are attainable stats at the different levels?

In this thread, one poster comments on many things, including attainable stats for the various buyins. More than that, there is quite a bit of posting later in that thread about what are attainable and realistic ROI’s for the higher stakes Party SNGs. A summary of what very good stats for the various stakes would be probably looks very much like this:

10+1s-30+3s, ITM ~42%, ROI ~30%
55s-215s, ITM ~40%, ROI ~20%

Basically, as you move up your ITM shouldn’t decrease very much, but your ROI will. If you’re making money though, you’re making money. Just don’t get overconfident with a small sample size. See the “what do you think of my stats?” section.

Should I move up? What to expect when I do? Should I play more tables?

Should you move up? Should you play more tables? Answer: sure, why not. Only you are actually going to be able to tell when you’re ready for either of those things. Whatever you post isn’t going to make it so that someone else will be able to tell you these things. The only real advice I can give is that you shouldn’t think that you’re losing at low stakes because of the bad players and so you should move up to play with people who “know what they’re doing.” That’s a fallacy.

What should you expect to happen when you do these things? The play of the average opponent is going to get stronger as you move up stakes. When you play more tables at once, it’s likely your ROI is going to drop slightly, but the goal is to have your hourly rate improved anyway, by having added the additional tables. It is likely that adding more tables will hurt your ability to follow the action at each table, and hurt your reads. It is often suggested that because of this a player who is interested in improving his game to its maximum potential not attempt to get the most tables possible, but instead concentrate the tables they do play.

[/ QUOTE ]

RandomFactor
09-27-2005, 02:45 PM
How about if we read the faq and found the confedence tables but do not understand what they mean?

MegaBet
09-27-2005, 02:47 PM
lol, I'm sure people keep posting threads like this just to piss Citanul off! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lorinda
09-27-2005, 02:54 PM
How to calculate ROI and what it means is in the FAQ.

There is a thread, that the FAQ links to, that discusses the opinion of many good posters here, on what is a good ROI.

I'm not saying it's a simple concept for everyone, but I don't think anyone could add anything here that explains it any more clearly than the FAQ already does.

If there's a specific question that isn't in the FAQ, then asking it wouldn't get the reply "Read the FAQ" because reading the FAQ wouldn't answer the question.

In general people here help other people a lot (Sometimes the first people help each other, and the second people help each other, but ignore that for now). The FAQ is designed to save the first set of people as much time as possible so they can do a lot of helping the second set of people.

When you don't use the FAQ, you don't cost the first set of people any time, because they probably have a certain amount of time here each day. You are costing the other people in the second set of people some replies.

Lori