PDA

View Full Version : Anybody read "Infinite Jest"...

01-31-2002, 03:55 PM
...by David Foster Wallace?

I bought it a over year ago, and due to it's extreme bulk (over 1200 pages long) have put off reading it. Is it worth the effort? I have heard it is an amazing book, I guess I just need a pep talk to get me going. Deciding to read this book seems like a commitment on the order of nuptials.

01-31-2002, 05:29 PM
on here.

ive read it twice. its so damn good. some people might not get into it, but i really liked it. it takes a while to get into it, because the first 100-150 pages are pretty thick and you're not too cleare as to whats going on. but i read that book, and it made me want to read all the rest of david foster wallace's stuff, which i eventually did, save for some purported book about '80s rap that i haven't been able to find. i would reccommend the book. everybody i know that has read it really liked it.

01-31-2002, 07:03 PM
What is it about?

01-31-2002, 07:41 PM
It's a good book, but it took me several hundred pages to get into it. I liked it, but, then again, I liked War and Peace. I even like SPM's posts.

You might get a copy of DFW's A Supposedly Fun Thing That I Did That I'll Never Do Again, which a shorter essays, and see if you like those.

02-01-2002, 02:05 PM
those are really good as well. id recommend starting with that or infinite jest when getting into DFW. his other books are good, but really damn confusing as an introduction.

02-01-2002, 02:14 PM
i guess its about addiction, sort of. and a greater american response, i guess, to addiction. its about a lot of things, told through a narrative about kids at a tennis academy, and an underground film movement, and a halfway house. it really is a good book. i read it in about 2 months. the last half of the book goes a lot faster than the first half. also, you have to flip to the endnotes when you come across them in the text, otherwise everything is all f$#%ed up. once you get into it, you'll dig it, i think. i had a bus ride from L.A. to Chicago this summer on greyhound, and i made sure that i had something that i wouldn't finish on the bus with me to read, so i reread that. great stuff.

02-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks Baggins.

02-01-2002, 06:03 PM

02-01-2002, 08:41 PM