PDA

View Full Version : $5 Sit and Go Limit Hand

WiredPair
05-14-2003, 09:00 AM
I think this is a very straight-forward hand, I'm just curious if anyone would have played it differently. I'm playing in a $5 sit and go last night at Paradise. Only one player has dropped so far and based on my limited experience (played in about eight of these so far) it seems like a very tight group. Most stacks are pretty even.

I'm dealt A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif UTG, nice. I open raise and its folded around to BB who calls. Flop comes A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . Not real pleased. Don't expect any action. He checks to me and I check, hoping he'll pick up some type of draw. 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif comes on the turn. He checks again to me. I bet out, hoping he views it as a steal and not a slowplay. He mucks.

Would most here have just waited to the river since he was without question drawing dead? Just curious as I have not flopped a hand like this very often (say almost never!). My suspicion is that whatever fell on the river, he would have folded to a bet anyway.

The good news is I ended up winning the tournament. Weird thing is I wasn't all that happy with my short-handed play. I tend to struggle once it gets down to 2-3 players, and especially heads-up. I certainly loosen up and if I come in its almost always for a raise. I need to do some reading on tournaments and heads-up play if I'm going to improve this aspect of my game.

Thanks for reading!

RockLobster
05-14-2003, 11:28 AM
I'd have played it the same way. You have to pick a spot to get some money in the pot, and I think the turn was that spot. I would not wait until the river.

Bob T.
05-14-2003, 11:52 AM
Lets pretend for a second, that you have JJ, and you open raise, the BB calls, and the flop comes AA8. The BB checks, and you do what? You probably bet, and hope he folds. Change your hand to KQ suited, same action, and on the flop, you do what, you bet, and you hope he folds.

I know that people say that you should slowplay when you get flops like this, but if you check the flop, what does it say to your opponent? I think it says 'I just flopped a monster and I am trying to trap you.' I think it is a lot more likely that you will win more money from your opponent if you say 'please get out of my pot before you catch up to me, unless you already did,' just like you would if you had JJ, or KQ suited.

Maybe he folds on the flop anyway, but then at least you saved time.

Homer
05-14-2003, 12:41 PM
I would have bet the flop. Raising preflop from UTG and checking on an AA8 flop should tell your opponents that you have an A. If you had KK-TT you would certainly bet the flop, so do the same here. If you do intend to slowplay, do so all the way to the river. Checking the flop and betting the turn is too suspect. If you wait until the river you might get lucky and get a crying call.

-- Homer

hutz
05-14-2003, 12:47 PM
I agree with Homer's post. You should either bet the flop or wait until the river. I'd have come out firing on the flop hoping they'll think you're just trying to bully them. They might even get frisky and try to check-raise bluff you on the flop and then feel obligated to remain aggressive throughout the remainder of the hand. Hey, it could happen! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

RockLobster
05-14-2003, 01:19 PM
I love this site.

I can't count how many times I've learned things when I wasn't even the person posting the question. Yes, I would have played this hand the way I posted, but the other replies are clearly right. Bob, Homer and Hutz's posts made this nice and clear (thanks guys!).

CrackerZack
05-14-2003, 01:41 PM
Maybe he folds on the flop anyway, but then at least you saved time

That's really funny.

On a strategy note I agree. bet the flop and hope he puts you on TT or JJ and has KQ and intends to call to the river.

WiredPair
05-14-2003, 02:47 PM
I agree with Rock's last post. I certainly learn a ton here and, in retrospect agree that I should have bet the flop. I think since I'm not used to getting a flop like that (quads) I kind of froze up and the only thing I could think of was, "please stay in!".

Thanks again for all the replies.

Bob T.
05-14-2003, 06:20 PM
You're welcome,

The other way that I've learned things here, is to try and put my thinking into a clear enough form to post, and after I do that, I've either learned something new, or learned what question I need the answer to.