PDA

View Full Version : Can holdem improve omaha

TWINUNO
09-27-2005, 09:31 AM
When lookin at the starting hands from omaha to holdem, i know not to look at them as two different starting hands for example having ak76 isnt all that great of hand. I was wondering what are the general starting requirements people like to play in a short handed game. Is there ever a reason to fold AAxx preflop? Maybe we can start a better FAQ or a favorite link thread somewhere. I need help getting started and i dont see much general questions on the forum.

09-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Not only is thinking of an Omaha starting hand as 2 HE starting hands a bad idea, it is also entirely incorrect. Because you have 4 cards, you actually have 6 potentially playable hands. So, from your example:

A-K-7-6, you have AK, A7, A6, K7, K6 and 76.

Unfortunately, the search function is broken. There is a decent beginning Omaha article at the Winning Online Poker (http://www.winningonlinepoker.com/) website.

Obviously, at shorthanded tables, you will have to loosen starting hand requirements a bit and aggression becomes more valuable. More likely than not though, your post-flop decision making is going to matter a lot more than your pre-flop hand selection.

wickss
09-28-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there ever a reason to fold AAxx preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would fold aces w/ bad side cards if I thought that someone else had aces and I had to put most of my stack in PF. If all of the aces are gone it decreases your chances greatly in a multiway pot. I seldomly put someone else on aces though. Once I had AAK5 from the button. I raised and there were 2 big reraises. I folded. Someone else did have aces as well. It turns out that I would have hit 2 pair on the flop with my side cards and eventualy filled. However, I still believe that this was a good fold.