PDA

View Full Version : Retooling (kinda long)

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 08:50 AM
I don’t know about anyone else, but I go through this periodically. I’m in a funk and I’m not completely sure why. When I look at my life, I think yea, yea I’m really doing pretty much what I want to do. But I’m not doing any of it as well as I could or should be. Like Mitch Robbins said, “I’m not going to find a different job. I’m just going to do this one better.”

So anyway things like this seem to work better if you write them down someplace so here it is. This is not in order of priority.

1. My health-related activities have been irregular over the past year or so. I run and work out inconsistently, which is less than what I’ve been used to in the past. I’m not in bad shape, but not exactly where I want to be either. I’m usually a lot happier when my body works the way I want it to.

2. Do my job better. Part of it is all the time I spend on 00T so I’ll be cutting way back on my posting frequency, something that will make some of you very happy. I also just haven’t been getting things done because I haven’t really taken the time to make myself care to. I’m changing that.

3. I really like playing that unmentioned game at least a few of us here play. I quit playing limit awhile back because I really enjoyed no-limit and found out I was terrible at both when I switched back and forth. But I’ve decided I want to be more serious about this and I think it’s time for a change so I’m thinking of making that switch again. I’ll probably be spending quite a bit more time in the strategy forums. I actually lurk there now. But I may even post there occasionally.

4. I’m going to be a better person to my friends. I’ve been pretty selfish. As an example, last night I was talking to someone and realized I was doing something that’s not very nice. I’ve been saying things to people, mostly just making very unfunny jokes, w/o considering that the jokes themselves were about things that are pretty annoying. Actually the joke was described as “unnecessary” and it was. This was a bad habit I was in years ago. I had broken myself of it at one point, but started doing it again awhile back and I’m not sure why.

5. Cut back on my drinking. I'm convinced part of my current funk is caused by drinking too much. And the drinking to much has been caused by the funk. I haven't been drinking a lot, but it has been frequent. It's anaesthetic quality is attractive, but it just temporarily treats the symptoms and when I drink too much, I just make an ass of myself. I do that enough w/o the alcohol.

6. Last but not least is definitely my kids. I’m a good dad, but I want to be better. I’ll spend more time with them. I’ll do more things with them. I’ll find more patience and be more consistent.

I think if I focus on just those few things, I’ll be much happier and make other people happier too.

diebitter
09-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Good luck with that.

09-27-2005, 08:56 AM
hope you're doing this for yourself and not to impress someone

mackthefork
09-27-2005, 08:56 AM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif No one is ever going to make 20,000. Good luck though.

Mack

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hope you're doing this for yourself and not to impress someone

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not really sure why you would say that. i'm doing it because i've been in a funk and that's not good for me. some of the recent threads from other people about sitting at home drinking, etc have kind of hit home for me. not that i'm like that, but i just realized i'm in a kind of rut and want to make myself happier.

edit: thanks for the concern. it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. an astute observation even if unfounded.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/frown.gif No one is ever going to make 20,000. Good luck though.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

I had planned to retire the ID at 19,999 anyway.

FouTight
09-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Fitter,
happie,
more productive.

not drinking too much,
regular exercise at the gym
(3 days a week),
getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries ,
at ease,
eating well

MrTrik
09-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Good luck Jake. Sounds like you thought it all out and got yourself a plan. Writing it down does increase the chances for success.

Blarg
09-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Good luck Jake. Cutting back the drinking is probably a very good idea, especially since you have kids. You don't want to put them through the strain of having a grouchy, unpredictable, slow, or eventually even ailing parent. And no matter what you do or how you feel about it, you're always an exapmle for your kids, good or bad. They'll probably grow up to be like you in a lot of ways, so you don't want that to be something you feel bad about.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck Jake. Cutting back the drinking is probably a very good idea, especially since you have kids. You don't want to put them through the strain of having a grouchy, unpredictable, slow, or eventually even ailing parent. And no matter what you do or how you feel about it, you're always an exapmle for your kids, good or bad. They'll probably grow up to be like you in a lot of ways, so you don't want that to be something you feel bad about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I don't drink that much anyway. I only drink 1-2 a day so it's not like I'm some sloppy drunk or setting bad examples or anything. I just think it's better for me.

Shajen
09-27-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
6. Last but not least is definitely my kids. I’m a good dad, but I want to be better. I’ll spend more time with them. I’ll do more things with them. I’ll find more patience and be more consistent.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do nothing else on your list, do this.

I'm in a funk too man. I've got my future sorta mapped out, in I know what I want to do, but making it happen has been somewhat of a stop and start sputter.

I think it's the time of the year. I get up when it's dark and a lot of the time I come home when it's dark and that's [censored] with me right now. I get home and don't want to do much of anything.

Either way, good luck with this, Jake. Also, thanks for sharing this, it may just give me the kick in the ass I need to get going myself.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-27-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fitter,
happie,
more productive.

not drinking too much,
regular exercise at the gym
(3 days a week),
getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries ,
at ease,
eating well

[/ QUOTE ]
still cries at a good film,
still kisses with saliva,
no longer empty and frantic
like a cat
tied to a stick,
that's driven into
frozen winter [censored]
(the ability to laugh at weakness),
calm,
fitter,
healthier and more productive
a pig
in a cage
on antibiotics.

mason55
09-27-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Retooling

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God this post isn't what I was worried it was going to be about.

asofel
09-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Good luck Jake. It sounds like you really want these things and are willing to make the necessary changes. All the best.

Stuey
09-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Good luck

It sounds like a lot of work. It isn't though I would bet there is one or 2 maybe 3 things that are causing the rest to suffer. I am going to take a guess if you don't mind but only to let you see how simple this could be.

Quit drinking totally and stop playing poker plus only use your computer when you are getting paid to do so.

You are burned out and these are the only 3 things that can do it imo. Stop them and the other problems solve themselves I bet. If the thought of quitting these things bothers you or sounds impossible that should tell you something as these are mundane activities in your life and you should want to stop them.

After you quit for awhile and everything comes back together and you get a clear picture of how much these things affected your life it is ok to start doing them again. But you will have a new respect for them and will be much more willing to limit them properly. 1hr of poker a day, 3 drinks once a week, oot while you eat lunch ect.

2010=20000 posts /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

touchfaith
09-27-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don’t know about anyone else, but I go through this periodically. I’m in a funk and I’m not completely sure why. When I look at my life, I think yea, yea I’m really doing pretty much what I want to do. But I’m not doing any of it as well as I could or should be. Like Mitch Robbins said, “I’m not going to find a different job. I’m just going to do this one better.”

So anyway things like this seem to work better if you write them down someplace so here it is. This is not in order of priority.

1. My health-related activities have been irregular over the past year or so. I run and work out inconsistently, which is less than what I’ve been used to in the past. I’m not in bad shape, but not exactly where I want to be either. I’m usually a lot happier when my body works the way I want it to.

2. Do my job better. Part of it is all the time I spend on 00T so I’ll be cutting way back on my posting frequency, something that will make some of you very happy. I also just haven’t been getting things done because I haven’t really taken the time to make myself care to. I’m changing that.

3. I really like playing that unmentioned game at least a few of us here play. I quit playing limit awhile back because I really enjoyed no-limit and found out I was terrible at both when I switched back and forth. But I’ve decided I want to be more serious about this and I think it’s time for a change so I’m thinking of making that switch again. I’ll probably be spending quite a bit more time in the strategy forums. I actually lurk there now. But I may even post there occasionally.

4. I’m going to be a better person to my friends. I’ve been pretty selfish. As an example, last night I was talking to someone and realized I was doing something that’s not very nice. I’ve been saying things to people, mostly just making very unfunny jokes, w/o considering that the jokes themselves were about things that are pretty annoying. Actually the joke was described as “unnecessary” and it was. This was a bad habit I was in years ago. I had broken myself of it at one point, but started doing it again awhile back and I’m not sure why.

5. Cut back on my drinking. I'm convinced part of my current funk is caused by drinking too much. And the drinking to much has been caused by the funk. I haven't been drinking a lot, but it has been frequent. It's anaesthetic quality is attractive, but it just temporarily treats the symptoms and when I drink too much, I just make an ass of myself. I do that enough w/o the alcohol.

I think if I focus on just those few things, I’ll be much happier and make other people happier too.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, the last and shortest paragraph and you finally mention kids and the wife it's zero billing...

Your problem isn't a 'funk', your problem is priorities...You have none.

You would rather spend all day and night here trying to hit on women you will never have a chance with instead of spending time with your family.

It's obvious and it's sad, but it's not you anyone feels sorry for, it's your "family".

Truth hurts huh...doesn't change it though.

IndieMatty
09-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Except, I can think of like 20 instances where Jake relays good family stories, it seems he spends way more time with his kids than most parents I know (or mine did). I think that's why it is last. Because it needs the least improvement.

touchfaith
09-27-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Except, I can think of like 20 instances where Jake relays good family stories, it seems he spends way more time with his kids than most parents I know (or mine did). I think that's why it is last. Because it needs the least improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you Indie...but you are kidding right?

Unless he posts all day every day from a blackberry, it doesn't take an expert to see which of his loves gets first priority (OOT).

tdarko
09-27-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cut back on my drinking. I'm convinced part of my current funk is caused by drinking too much

[/ QUOTE ]
you take care of this and the rest will start to fall in place.

i was a heavy drinker for years and always complained about a "funk" until i realized that i was my own funk. now other than the occasional wine with my meal i keep my life in order and couldn't be happier. good luck jake.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wopuld actually talk more here about my kids, but I remember what it was like for me before I had them. Parents can tell the longerst, boringest "cute" stories that no one cares about. I don't want to be that guy.

2planka
09-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Good luck, bud.

I've noticed you've been grumpy lately. We only get to see this flick once. Have fun. Find some time for your own "Warden" too.

IndieMatty
09-27-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you Indie...but you are kidding right?

Unless he posts all day every day from a blackberry, it doesn't take an expert to see which of his loves gets first priority (OOT).

[/ QUOTE ]

I state the facts. Off the top of my head I can remember like 5 Jake family story's. It's very obvious he's a good dad IMO.

Los Feliz Slim
09-27-2005, 01:35 PM
This happens to me almost every year. I think it has to do with the changing of seasons reminding us of our own mortality.

The only suggestion I have is to not try and fix/improve everything at once. Many of these goals are related to one another (get healthier/quit drinking), but Rome wasn't built in a day. Even if you just begin each of these over the course of a few weeks it'll be easier than doing it at once.

I was going to write something about how my relationship with my wife is usually my saving grace during these times, and suggest that perhaps that's an area for you that might use some work (you don't talk about it much, obviously). But it's much more important, initially at least, that you start liking yourself more. Once you do that working on relationships with others is much easier.

tdarko
09-27-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I state the facts. Off the top of my head I can remember like 5 Jake family story's. It's very obvious he's a good dad IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck, bud.

I've noticed you've been grumpy lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I feel better already actually.

Stuey
09-27-2005, 01:39 PM
After reading your post I realized how stupid mine was also.

I have some of the problems I was telling him he had and you have some of the same problems you told him he had. I'm goinjg to stop giving people here advice as the risk of looking as stupid as I feel you did here is just not worth it.

We need to look at ourselves more it is to easy to tell others what to do.

Sorry jake I was just trying to help not sound like a know it all ass.

touchfaith
09-27-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After reading your post I realized how stupid mine was also.

I have some of the problems I was telling him he had and you have some of the same problems you told him he had. I'm goinjg to stop giving people here advice as the risk of looking as stupid as I feel you did here is just not worth it.

We need to look at ourselves more it is to easy to tell others what to do.

Sorry jake I was just trying to help not sound like a know it all ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you do not stand by your original comments? You gut reaction?

My comments where harsh, yes, but that is due to my obvious dislike for jake. It's well documented and I feel no need to sugar-coat my opinions to him for the sake of 'being civil'.

I doubt we'll be sitting around a campfire singing folk songs anytime soon.

tdarko
09-27-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My comments where harsh, yes, but that is due to my obvious dislike for jake

[/ QUOTE ]
why don't you like him?

touchfaith
09-27-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why don't you like him?

[/ QUOTE ]

No reason, I picked his name out of a hat.

Stuey
09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I stand by them but I think they apply to me more than jake and I was just telling him them as it is easier than doing something about them for myself.

It might seem like I don't like you Thinman but I got nothing against you at all. I do think you need things said louder to you for you to hear it though.

Where are your kids and when did you last see them?

sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif

dtbog
09-27-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty awful assumption based on a very limited set of information.

ThinMan, I understand that you don't like Jake, but then why don't you just refrain from posting in his thread about self-improvement? I doubt he cares about your opinion on the matter, so you're basically just intentionally and maliciously cluttering his thread with crap.

It's one thing to passively dislike someone -- no one can fault you for that -- but it's pretty immature to actively seek ways to sneak in some jabs at others who you admittedly should just ignore.

If I remember correctly, you posted a pretty revealing and personal thread about yourself recently... and I'm guessing you didn't post it so the people who don't like you could come in and ridicule you.

Just think about it for a sec, that's all.

dtbog
09-27-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like some good introspection here.. good luck, bro.

One thing that always helps me feel better is posting a good poll /images/graemlins/grin.gif

touchfaith
09-27-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I stand by them but I think they apply to me more than jake and I was just telling him them as it is easier than doing something about them for myself.

It might seem like I don't like you Thinman but I got nothing against you at all. I do think you need things said louder to you for you to hear it though.

Where are your kids and when did you last see them?

sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can try as you like to turn this into a conversation about me, it doesn't bother me. Your question has been asked and answered in the past.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that always helps me feel better is posting a good poll /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Niiiice! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

...and thanks.

tdarko
09-27-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No reason, I picked his name out of a hat.

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for answering.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
why don't you like him?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are quite a few 00ti0ts that don't like me. Meh.

tdarko
09-27-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i never understood this.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i never understood this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, man. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I ever have a million to spare, I'll order up a couple of chicks to double down on you.

tdarko
09-27-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I ever have a million to spare, I'll order up a couple of chicks to double down on you.

[/ QUOTE ]
you have no idea what this means /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eurotrash
09-27-2005, 04:08 PM
good luck with everything Jake, don't retire from OOT completely though.

Wes ManTooth
09-27-2005, 04:08 PM
interesting post, seriously good luck!

Georgia Avenue
09-27-2005, 04:11 PM
#1--FREEDOM FROM CONSTIPATION!

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Stuey
09-27-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
you have no idea what this means /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It means girls have to be paid a lot to get with you ? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tdarko
09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It means girls have to be paid a lot to get with you ?

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dcasper70
09-27-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was geared up and ready to rip you until I read this.

The other stuff is just other stuff. Combined, 1 through 5 don't come close.

It's all about the kids. Tell them we say hi. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. But the thing is, if you're not happy in everything else, you're not good with your kids. You'll be grouchy and tired. If you're happy otherwise, you'll be a much better parent. Also, you'll be setting a good example.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 07:57 PM
I worked late...skipped the bar. Got home a little earlier than usual. Played with the boy. Put him to bed. Went running. Awesome run!!! Did my 5 in :38 flat, which is faster than I have been. As I was starting, there was a lot of lighning and thinder. Halfway through the clouds just opened up and poured. It was awesome! I literally threw back my head and howled into the wind. O'm about 100% sure I looked like an idiot but it felt great!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tdarko
09-27-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It's all about the kids

[/ QUOTE ]
good post.

i don't have any kids yet (or well at least to my knowledge /images/graemlins/confused.gif) but when i do i hope i can keep this perspective.

dcasper70
09-27-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. But the thing is, if you're not happy in everything else, you're not good with your kids. You'll be grouchy and tired. If you're happy otherwise, you'll be a much better parent. Also, you'll be setting a good example.

[/ QUOTE ]

All true, and I know what you're saying, but it's the kids that make you even post 1 through 5.

They are your motivation.

Skip the bar again tomorrow. Play with them again. Run 5 in :37. Look like a retard doing it. Rinse. Repeat. The other stuff falls into place...

Blarg
09-28-2005, 02:15 AM
Anyone not willing to look like a retard once in a while is definitely a retard. Life is so serious that you have to let the pressure out by not taking yourself too seriously.

ChipWrecked
09-28-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's all about the kids

[/ QUOTE ]
good post.

i don't have any kids yet (or well at least to my knowledge /images/graemlins/confused.gif) but when i do i hope i can keep this perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you will. I had my girl kinda late in life (I'm 41, she's 2) and we're going for a sib for her. Something about being older makes it more special. Even though I never thought I could be so tired, and she's a terrible two if ever there was one /images/graemlins/blush.gif Just means she has a strong personality which is great.

You go Jake. When I put up my "I smoked too much weed and now I'm paying for it" post I mentioned you as the person I coulda been more like at this point in life if I hadn't wasted so much precious time. Your life is better than you think.

My folks were alcoholics, I'm not saying this about you; but laying off that depressant is the best thing you can do for yourself and your family. Good luck.

newfant
09-28-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I worked late...skipped the bar. Got home a little earlier than usual. Played with the boy. Put him to bed. Went running. Awesome run!!! Did my 5 in :38 flat, which is faster than I have been. As I was starting, there was a lot of lighning and thinder. Halfway through the clouds just opened up and poured. It was awesome! I literally threw back my head and howled into the wind. O'm about 100% sure I looked like an idiot but it felt great!

[/ QUOTE ]

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/IronBallsMcGinty/1992_perfect.jpg

Oh Jesus, dude. I give you about two weeks of this "love my kids, love my life, love my job" crap until you start acting like a normal human again. Being this perfect isn't healthy.

dcasper70
09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
WTF Jake, what happened to retooling???
You have over 100 posts today??? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone's gotta keep you in line. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jakethebake
09-28-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but I've been pretty productive too so...

dcasper70
09-28-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but I've been pretty productive too so...

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, just checking.

jakethebake
09-28-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Went running. Awesome run!!! Did my 5 in :38 flat, which is faster than I have been.

[/ QUOTE ]

My legs are satisfyingly sore today. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

asofel
09-28-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, i already chided him on that, but like he said, somehow more has gotten done as well...now if only i could pull the same trick....