PDA

View Full Version : My first homemade quesedillas

xorbie
09-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Ingredients:

Boneless, skinless chicken breast
Tortilla
Shredded Meijers brand Mexican Cheese (Monteray Jack, Cheddar and a couple other Mexican ones)
Black beans from a can
Guacamole

Quesidilla #1:

I get the chicken going in one frying pan... not much going on there, I season with some generic Chicken seasoning and add a bit of lemon juice after putting in pan. I put the tortilla into the second pan with some cheese, but (a) put too little cheese and (b) forget to fold first, so I end up with a tortilla that's much crispier on one side (can't stick the cheese side upside down), and with too little cheese, so I can't really fold it at none of the other ingredients really stay in the damn thing. It's pretty good nonetheless, although the guacamole is definitely subpar.

Quesedilla #2:

A solid improvement. I cut the chicken up a bit smaller after removing from the pan (seems easier than cutting up prior to frying?). Less guac (cuz its not so great), less beans, more cheese, easier folding = good [censored].

Not great certainly, and I'm gonna need to work in some onions and salsa, but for my first semester ever cooking for myself, I'm pretty pleased, and it only took about 20 min.

And cuz this is OOT, pics (half of the second quesedilla, plus some of the extra chicken):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v143/shadows_edge/P1010136.jpg

imported_anacardo
09-27-2005, 03:31 AM
I want onions / peppers / pico de gallo / suchlike involved.

But a solid first effort, definitely. I'd eat the [censored] out of those.

benfranklin
09-27-2005, 03:44 AM
Making quesedillas:

1. heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat

2. put tortilla in dry skillet for about a minute or two, until it just starts to brown

3. turn tortilla over and repeat

4. remove tortilla, cover one half of the tortilla with lots of chicken, cheese, etc. and fold in half

5. lightly oil top half of folded tortilla (spray like PAM works best)

6. put oiled side down in skillet, cook until brown

7. oil uncooked side, flip and cook

8. serve with salsa and lots of ice cold cerveza

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 03:49 AM
Did you fold it over twice, like a burrito or omelet? A quesadilla is just folded over once, so you have a half-circle.

xorbie
09-27-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you fold it over twice, like a burrito or omelet? A quesadilla is just folded over once, so you have a half-circle.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually similiar to a burrito. I grabbed each side of the circle and folded so that there was a bit of overlap. Then unfolded after frying in the pan and melting the cheese, stuck in the chicken, beans and guac and refolded enough so as to prevent stuff from spilling out. This is how one of my favorite joints back in Boston makes them, so it's how I'm making them.

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is how one of my favorite joints back in Boston makes them

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that explains a lot. Quesadillas don't look like burritos, they look like this:

http://www.perkinsrestaurants.com/images/kids/menu/quesadilla.jpg

http://www.nickys.com/drinks/quesadia.jpg

xorbie
09-27-2005, 04:32 AM
Meh. That sort of quesedilla just reminds of eating at Applebees or Taco Bell. Annas Taqueria is where it's at. Besides, it's basically the same deal either way.

TheMetetron
09-27-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh. That sort of quesedilla just reminds of eating at Applebees or Taco Bell. Annas Taqueria is where it's at. Besides, it's basically the same deal either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no. Diablo is right. That stuff you made isn't a quesadilla. It's Boston for christ sakes.

Trust me, definitely not a quesadilla.

chuddo
09-27-2005, 04:38 AM
3 out of 5
3 out of 5
thats not enough
6 out of 10
better luck next time.

StevieG
09-27-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, El D and Met have the form factor right.

I've had the burritos at Anna's, though, and their carnitas are damn good.

theben
09-27-2005, 10:15 AM
no beans. cheese, meat, lettuce, tomatoe, guacamole, salsa. steak works great

Paluka
09-27-2005, 10:16 AM
I enjoy roasted corn in my quesedillas.

SL__72
09-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Good call, although if you can find some roasted corn salsa thats even better.