PDA

View Full Version : how do you handle the blinds hu vs various positional raises?

redbeard
09-27-2005, 02:57 AM
lets assume for this post that you just sat at the table and have no player reads whatsoever. how does everyone differ in their blind defenses versus various positional raises in what will be a heads up scenerio. what i mean is it is obvious that a raise from UTG is to be taken more seriously than a raise from the button. i don't have any standard differences as to what i do in these situations and i wanted to get feedback from everyone as to how they handle it. i currently use a blanketed defense against a raise no mater where it comes from. here are my defense standards:

sb -- three bet a lone raiser with A7s+, ATo+, KTs+, KJo+, and 77+

bb -- call with any two suited, any pair, any two cards 9 or higher; three bet with AJs+, AQo+, KQs, 88+

like i said i know that against an UTG raise my defenses should be tighter than they would be against a button steal attempt, but i just don't know where to draw the line on those differences.

thanks for the help.

cartman
09-27-2005, 04:30 AM
I don't vary my BB defense much, basically because I don't know how to. I think with offsuit holdings I may be as demanding as any two J or higher against a very tight raiser and as loose as any two 7 or higher against an extremely loose raiser. My default is any two 9 or higher but it is very possible that my default should be any two 8 or higher. I tighten up with the offsuits to a default of any two T or higher if there is a another player in the pot in addition to the raiser. I pretty much defend the BB with any two suited regardless of the number of players or the location of the raiser.

I vary substantially my 3-betting criteria from the SB. I think this is very important and I have seen Nikla mention in many times. I have seen him advocate folding with AJ against an UTG raise for instance, although I think his default would probably be to raise there. Against a very aggressive steal raiser it is probably OK to 3-bet with any Ace, although I usually restrict it to the suited Aces and about A8+ except against a total maniac against whom I go as low as any pair, any Ace, and KT+.

Hopefully some of the others will be able to give you better answers because my knowledge on this topic is very limited.

Cartman

redbeard
09-27-2005, 05:00 PM
cartman-
i do appreciate the response. i know you cited a response from Nikla and was hoping you might have some other threads from the other "big guns" of 2+2. i'll check back in the archives for the Nikla response. if anyone else can help me out please feel free to chime in here.

wonkadaddy
09-27-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

bb -- call with any two suited

[/ QUOTE ]

in headsup confrontations being suited doesn't add a lot of value to ur hand. u flop a flush less than 1% of the time and flop 4 to a flush only about 1 in 9.

09-27-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

bb -- call with any two suited

[/ QUOTE ]

in headsup confrontations being suited doesn't add a lot of value to ur hand. u flop a flush less than 1% of the time and flop 4 to a flush only about 1 in 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those numbers are great for showdown simulations. However, when you factor in the actual play of the hands, being suited gains more in value than you think.

redbeard
09-28-2005, 04:21 AM
again i appreciate any commentary i can get on this subject. however, the value of suited cards is not so much what i'm after here. perhaps my original question was unclear. i think what i want to know is: is there some criteria people use to defend their blinds from raises from each position. i suspect if one were to get technical a player would have a set of blind defense hands for a raise from UTG, another set for a raise from UTG+1, another set for a raise from the CO, and a fourth set for a raise from the Button. i assume your smallest set would be vs the UTG raise and you would add some marginal hands for each position as you get closer to the button. my question is what is everyone's base set of defenses against a UTG raise and what hands do you add for UTG+1, CO, and Button. Thanks in advance for any commentary anyone can provide.

redbeard
09-28-2005, 08:37 PM
sorry to bump this up, but maybe if it is on the front page during primetime i'll get some more responses. if this doesn't work i guess i'll let the thread die and leave my questions unanswered.

MoDOH
09-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I donīt have any preset standards regarding the position the raiser is in. Instead I look at the raisers stats and the BB stats and then decide what Iīd do...
of course the position comes into play also but just in relation to his overall agression...