PDA

View Full Version : $22 T9s first hand

helpmeout
09-27-2005, 02:07 AM
I limp UTG with T9s first hand of the tourney.

Half the field calls.

Flop comes 8c7cXc pot is around 100

BB bets the pot I raise how much?

oops yes I have clubs

Thanks

bluefeet
09-27-2005, 02:10 AM
ZERO? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Edit: Limping in late position w/T9s deep-stacked, after multiple limpers can be a beautiful thing. UTG? I have "fold to any" clicked, trying to find my lighter...and I fold to this pot lead from the blinds - with "half the field" still to act behind you.

09-27-2005, 02:12 AM
Clubs or not clubs.

Don't limp preflop UTG with 9Ts first hand.

09-27-2005, 02:13 AM
Unless you have Tc9c, I would proceed with extreme caution. I'd possibly call, but more likely fold since it's so early in the tournament.

lorinda
09-27-2005, 02:15 AM
I limp UTG with T9s first hand of the tourney.

Why? this is terrible.

Anyway, if I somehow end up in this position, I think I just call here. This serves the dual purpose of being a trap, but also meaning that I can check that a blank falls on the turn before pushing the lot in (They will still call).
If someone else raises here, then I stop messing around and push the rest, as the pot will be big enough that there isn't a turn card that can make me fold anyway.

Edit: I was assuming it was clubs.

Lori

helpmeout
09-27-2005, 02:18 AM
Just like in low limit ring I am not folding this kind of hand against a bunch of loose passives.

So ignore preflop if you must.

lorinda
09-27-2005, 02:20 AM
Just like in low limit ring I am not folding this kind of hand against a bunch of loose passives.

This attitude is terrible. The play is terrible. Why can't you understand that it is terrible? It is a trivial piece of poker. This hand is terrible out of position, you will often flop four to a flush and not even get to see the turn card. It really is that bad.

Lori

bluefeet
09-27-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oops yes I have clubs

[/ QUOTE ]

ok...maybe we can continue then on this flop /images/graemlins/wink.gif

i like lori's line - no reason to chase out those behind you quite yet, 3flush or not.

adanthar
09-27-2005, 02:27 AM
This line is all the more terrible because you've managed to get the .5%, perfect flop in a low buyin where everything under the sun calls, and then make sure they don't call. So basically, your implied odds suck, and not because of your cards.

BTW, the funny thing about this hand is that last I checked, open limping it in limit wasn't any good either.

helpmeout
09-27-2005, 02:27 AM
T9s is a big hand against a bunch of loose passives. Sorry but I'm gonna risk my 15 chips here and flop a big flush draw or an OESD or even a flush or a straight.

I wouldnt get away with this in the bigger games obviously because they'd be more aggressive but here I can.

So you keep playing like a rock in low limit games and I'll keep playing loose.

But really I do not need preflop advice here so dont waste your time arguing about something that is not really important.

adanthar
09-27-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
T9s is a big hand against a bunch of loose passives. Sorry but I'm gonna risk my 15 chips here and flop a big flush draw or an OESD

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun chasing flush draws OOP in tournaments, I hear that turns out really well ('hear' because I haven't been in that situation in a while, but people bitch about it all the time so it must work, right?)

helpmeout
09-27-2005, 02:34 AM
Again why do you people want to not answer the question I'm asking.

I know that good players will raise you out of pots so you dont have odds to draw but these are not good players.

adanthar
09-27-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Again why do you people want to not answer the question I'm asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
This line is all the more terrible because you've managed to get the .5%, perfect flop in a low buyin where everything under the sun calls, and then make sure they don't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

lorinda
09-27-2005, 02:36 AM
What do you think of my proposed line?

Lori

helpmeout
09-27-2005, 02:42 AM
Sounds good but you fail to protect your hand against large clubs.

what do you do when a club falls on the turn?

lorinda
09-27-2005, 02:46 AM
If the club falls I fold.

Lori

helpmeout
09-27-2005, 02:52 AM
What about a large raise like 300-400 hoping someone with 2 pair/lower flush/big club calls or even someone goes allin?

Then going allin on a nonclub turn.

lorinda
09-27-2005, 03:01 AM
I don't really want someone to call 300 with a bigger club if I'm honest.

If you want to try to do your thing of extracting value from the idiots, then you have to push.

Personally I like to wait for a bigger edge.. which thankfully will appear on the next card most of the time.

In higher limit games then you clearly need to get some value out of this hand, but against idiots, the top priority should almost always be not going bust.

Lori

Scuba Chuck
09-27-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
T9s is a big hand against a bunch of loose passives. Sorry but I'm gonna risk my 15 chips here and flop a big flush draw or an OESD or even a flush or a straight.

I wouldnt get away with this in the bigger games obviously because they'd be more aggressive but here I can.

So you keep playing like a rock in low limit games and I'll keep playing loose.

But really I do not need preflop advice here so dont waste your time arguing about something that is not really important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your name is so fitting.

helpmeout
09-27-2005, 03:47 AM
And your nic should be scuba chump.

So why not post something useful instead of just a cheap shot.

bones
09-27-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So why not post something useful instead of just a cheap shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been a lot of useful posts in this and other threads. You have chosen to ignore them. I'm actually amazed that anyone has attempted to discuss hands with you, as you clearly don't want to hear anything that contradicts your preconceived ideas of how poker should be played.

I'll say this as plainly as possible. You will not make money playing Sngs until you realize the many differences between ring games and short-stacked sng play. I know, I know, you think you already do. But trust me, you don't.

Hendricks433
09-27-2005, 05:06 AM
I havent read any replies but I fold PF. 10,9 UTG? I just dont like it. Well push if you want to raise. How can you raise less? LOL well I read the posts and I really dont want to even post anything. OP sounds like he doesnt need help so why is he posting this? how often do you hit a perfect flop with 10,9? that limping UTG is worth it? First hand you have no Idea how people play PF and could end up having to put in more chips which sucks when you only start with 800. I rather find a better spot to get my chips in and probally just call on the flop.

helpmeout
09-27-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll say this as plainly as possible. You will not make money playing Sngs until you realize the many differences between ring games and short-stacked sng play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will make money at SNGs because I know how to play poker. I will make more money when I get more accustomed to the SNG format.

I will not make much money playing a boring rock style game that is designed for low ROI 8 tablers. I'd much rather play a few tables for a higher earn, playing a looser and more aggressive style. Obviously this will become tighter as I move up but for now playing loose is working fine.

If you disagree with my preflop play well good for you I will gladly see how it goes and if I find that these calls are unprofitable then I will adjust.

[ QUOTE ]
There have been a lot of useful posts in this and other threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original question was how to play this hand postflop. I got answers from Lorinda and a few weak put downs about my preflop play.

Obviously people are scared of being wrong postflop or just do not know what to do.

splashpot
09-27-2005, 05:42 AM
Why do you ignore advice when EVERYONE tells you that limping UTG with T9s is terrible. Not one single person thinks it's a good idea. I know this was not your original question, but it IS A LEAK in your game and we pointed it out. Yet you choose to ignore our advice. And if this is your attitude, why bother asking for our advice in the first place? If you're just going to ignore it.

durron597
09-27-2005, 05:47 AM
This thread is too emotionally charged now, I'm heading it off at the pass. Raise whatever you want on the flop as long as it isn't the minimum.