PDA

View Full Version : QJo River Bet with Q high HU

Megenoita
09-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Bad river bet?

Villain is 56/4/.59/50+ hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (5.70 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 6.70 BB

Looking back, in this particular case it seems like a bad bet because the only better hand I fold is K high; I was thinking he had perhaps K /images/graemlins/spade.gif or Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif. However, he would probably call down with any pair, too.

I have a problem with these hands HU. If I bet the flop and turn with no pair (usually ace high), and give up on the river, my check/fold, I feel, is probably being taken advantage of. Should I check the turn and call the river more? I feel I give up too much fold equity from the peelers this way.

Something I've been wondering is what better hands do SS players fold? Do they fold 33 on a K T J board? Do they fold A high on the river HU? I think it's a weakness of mine that I have no clue what players fold. Part of this is the fact that we never see what they fold. But typical loose-passive players, are they folding better hands in HU situations, or even 3-4 handed pots? Would this fish fold a smaller pair to my river bet?

Thanks for all comments,
M

billyjex
09-27-2005, 01:10 AM
someone with those #'s is probably calling down with a pair on the board, and is in passive mode because of the monotone board. the only better hand you're folding is the K of spade, but I don't think he'll have that here enough to make a bet worth it.

Moozh
09-27-2005, 01:43 AM
It depends on the opponent, but in this case I don't think you need to necessarily be betting for value on the river. This is what I'd call a 'blocking bet'. I would use it against opponents in situations where you're fairly sure you're ahead, yet don't have a strong enough hand to feel comfortable calling a river bet. In this case you bet to keep him from betting the river and putting you in a tough situation and making a mistake.

This is where reads are important. If you have a good read that he won't bet the river without a pair, then you might as well check/fold. If you know he'll bluff with anything, you might want to check/call. I'd do this only when you're not sure.