PDA

View Full Version : OT: Home game STT- too much luck with this blind structure?

CobraGoat
09-27-2005, 12:26 AM
i just got back from playing at my buddies home tourney he is holding once a week now. this is the third time i have played.

$20 buy in STT paying out the top two finishers. start with about 1100 chips. 7-8 handed table. blinds start at 10/20 and go to 20/40, 40/50, 50/100, 100/200, 200/400, 400/800 every 12 minutes. however, these people are relatively new to poker, they talk a lot, there is always a football game on tv or something so noone is usually paying much attention to who the betting is on etc. so i would say at best we make a hair over one orbit per level.

the blinds become obscene instantly.

i have played this game 3 times now finishing 2nd the first game and OTB tonight and the last time.

my question is, as a reasonably decent SNGer (have turned $100 into ~$800 in 4 months just playing $5 and sometimes $10 SNGs on full tilt- sorry i dont have any ITM or ROI stats) and these people being mediocre, do i have much of an edge here or is it just push and pray? and maybe even stop playing? also, the table is unpredictably loose. what levels should i remain tight through and where should i start to loosen up? any SNG powertool applicability here?

09-27-2005, 12:33 AM
Powertools could help you here as long as you can establish calling ranges for your opponents.

And yes, those levels are ridiculously steep. Keep playing though. You still have an edge and if they are super loose limp more pre-flop in the early rounds to stack up so they're not calling your small stack blind stealing all ins with Q6o.

Ogre
09-27-2005, 12:41 AM
this is horrible because you are going to average like .3 hands per minute

lorinda
09-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Don't stop playing.

The absolute worst that can happen is you can have a beer and watch MNF while breaking even, you probably have a reasonable edge anyway.

There is lots of +EV in having a day where you don't play much proper poker once in a while.

Lori

CobraGoat
09-27-2005, 04:25 PM
yeah i hear ya but its annoying. i find myself being the wet blanket at the table cuz im constantly telling people when its their turn to act. honestly its not very relaxing cuz its so bad. like when there are 4 people left and the blinds are obscene and i start either pushing or folding and everyone starts busting my chops that im not playing poker.

whatever, i just cant decide whether i should loosen up earlier in the game and try to outplay them earlier.

09-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Im gonna have to argue that absolutely you should try to beat them senseless early. That is the only time you have ANY chips to make moves with, and those moves compound your skill edge. Plus they'll be paying less attention earlier on, when it doesnt cost so much to play (if they're anything like the home STT's I play) and you can really punish them.

I wholeheartedly agree with lorinda's post as well. Try one time to lighten up... no insult intended, I do this too, but try to make it as robotic as "raptor pushbotting" $11 sng's, I think it'll help in the long run.

hope that rambling post helped.

1C5
09-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Have fun and enjoy.

Who cares if you win those or not, they are just for fun.

downtown
09-27-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have fun and enjoy.

Who cares if you win those or not, they are just for fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I am probably even in a year of drunken $10 buyin pot limit games with friends. A terrible ROI or BB/100 for sure! I am up $2562457257 in fun dollars though. Fun dollars are good.