PDA

View Full Version : probability question

09-26-2005, 11:34 PM
I was playing a hand of 9TJQ to a board of 7993T, does anyone know the probability of one of 6 opponents holding TT in this situation. Also, I know there is pokerstove for holdem probilities and simulations is there anything similar for Omaha simulations?

twolf
09-26-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
probability question

[/ QUOTE ]

probably better down the list in the probability section, get more/better responses there.

09-27-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was playing a hand of 9TJQ to a board of 7993T, does anyone know the probability of one of 6 opponents holding TT in this situation. Also, I know there is pokerstove for holdem probilities and simulations is there anything similar for Omaha simulations?

[/ QUOTE ]
Against 8 opponents any unique two card combo has a close 5% chance of appearing in someones hand. Remember this number, it has lots of applications. Since you have one of the 10s there is only one way someone can have TT. Now since you're against 6 rather than 8, you can cut that down by a factor of 6/8 to roughly 4% or 1 in 25.

By the way, there are 2 ways an opponent could have 9T so you'd also have an 8% chance of splitting the pot.

The 5%/2-card-combo on a full table statistic works great for calculating odds for relatively rare hands. When you get beyond 3 or 4 combinations it starts to fall apart. Obviously, for example, if there are 21 unique 2 card combinations that can beat you, there isn't a 105% chance that one of them is out there. The number you actually want to calculate is 1 - 0.95^(number of combos), but that's hard to do.