PDA

View Full Version : Vijay Runs Smack At Annika

Bill Murphy
05-13-2003, 09:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1552644

HDPM
05-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Dunno if anyone's noticed, but Vijay is an idiot. Remember "Tiger Who?" Vijay should not talk smack. His point of view is understandable in a way, but he should be smart enough not to say this stuff. He should confine himself to maybe saying he thinks women should earn their way in rather than being given sponsor's exemptions or whatever. The whole bit about quitting if he's paired with her is hilarious. He better hope he beats her now. LOL.

andyfox
05-14-2003, 01:10 AM
I liked what Nick Price said even better. He said the whole thing "smacks of publicity."

Gee, ya think?

If there's such a thing as a sponsor's exemption, why should someone given such an exemption have to earn their way in? Ms. S. has more of a chance of winning than, say, Jack Nicklaus, but I don't hear Vijay complaining Jack is taking up someone else's spot when he plays.

Which would hurt attendance and the TV ratings worse: if Vijay pulls out or if Annika does? Seems like a no-brainer to me, which, if your analysis is correct, and I think it is, is exactly the way Vijay handled it.

Zeno
05-14-2003, 01:30 AM
I am very ignorant about golf. Do they ever choke up on the bat?

And what's all this about NOT WANTING TO BE PAIRED with a Swedish woman. Is she ugly? And if she is - So What. Hasn't Vijay heard of doggie style? And also, if you are paired with the Swedish hottie, isn’t this when you should play your Woody. Isn't that the bat with the wooden knobby type thing on the end? I played golf once. I hit a lot of trees and drink a lot a beer and only used one bat - The Woody. I had the best score. 199, I think.

-Zeno

HDPM
05-14-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes, golfers sometimes choke, choke up, and choke the chicken as you said in the baseball thread. Annika is not the leader in the clubhouse when it comes to looks among female Swedish golfers. There was a recent picture of Annika and her sister in a limo. Guess who got the brains in that family? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

bernie
05-14-2003, 10:53 AM
if he had any real integrity with his words, he would withdraw without being paired with her. of course, there is no way he is going to be paired with her the way they are drawing spots, so it was very safe for him to say. if he's that against it, the fact she's playing it should be his reason for withdrawing. not IF she's in his foursome.

he really is an idiot. this isnt the first time for him, and wont be the last. let's just make sure he keeps accurate track on his scorecard. remember THAT time mr. singh?

b

bernie
05-14-2003, 10:58 AM
you couldnt be talking about charlotta...

she didnt get the looks in the family. is there a 3rd sister?

go annika!!! make the cut baby!!!

and make vijay the other side of the bubble. haha...wouldnt that be great. him missing the cut by 1 stroke and annika making the cut on the bubble. wouldnt that be nice.

b

offTopic
05-14-2003, 12:27 PM
I am very ignorant about golf. Do they ever choke up on the bat?

Yes, but of course, since the club is inverted (relative to a baseball bat) they actually "choke down". Generally, this is done to decrease the trajectory of the shot, or, when in a bunker, to compensate for digging the feet into the sand (the player is effectively making him/herself shorter).

Annika might be considered "mousy cute"

http://lpga.com/players/playerpage.cfm?player_id=52

She's no Carin Koch

http://lpga.com/players/playerpage.cfm?player_id=31368

...or Natalie Gulbis

http://lpga.com/players/playerpage.cfm?player_id=39216

...but as in all sports, there are some truly scary-looking people, so you could do worse (plus Annika's a gazillioinaire.)

HDPM
05-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I was talking of Charlotta. She is not great looking. She does not rank in the Swedish female golfer competition either. But in the picture I saw she was looking way better than Annika. Annika looked like a washed out female body builder or something. Between the two you'd have picked Charlotta. Apparently in the family there was more golf talent to go 'round than looks. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

andyfox
05-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Here's my favorite info, taken from your link, about Carin Koch:

"Competed as Carin Hjalmarsson in 1995 and Carin Hj Koch in 1996…"

HDPM
05-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I thought about the scorecard deal too, but I was too nice to suggest Annika run some smack back at him over that one. It probably is better though that you weren't too nice to mention it. Heh. I've always wondered what the guys on Tour think about that bit and how they treat Singh because of it. I'd be watching him a little closer I think. And I'd be a lot quicker to make sure an official watches his drops. Maybe I'm just a cynic tho.

offTopic
05-14-2003, 01:43 PM
"Competed as Carin Hjalmarsson in 1995 and Carin Hj Koch in 1996…"

Gives a whole new meaning to lift, clean, and replace.

TimTimSalabim
05-14-2003, 07:39 PM
I don't really follow golf, so this will probably be a dumb question, but: aren't there different tees for men and women normally? And does this mean she will have to hit off the men's tees? If that's the case, then surely even the worst male golfer will outdrive her and there's no way she can overcome that, right? I don't see a chance in hell of her making the cut. This will be a nonstory soon.

scalf
05-14-2003, 08:03 PM
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif just kidding...but jesse jackson sez we gotta fight female golf apartheid...hey...lol..why not..lol... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif

HDPM
05-14-2003, 08:06 PM
She will play from the same tees. In a real tournament there is only one set of tees. She actually hits her tee ball OK a lot of the time. But she hits her irons short and low and doesn't putt or chip well by men's Tour standards. The length of the course will cause her some problems, but where it might get ugly is when she has a long iron into a tucked pin. She will hit it too low to get close and will have problems getting up and down. 75-75 M/C would be a major accomplishment. I think she'll have at least one round in the '80's.

IrishHand
05-14-2003, 08:43 PM
Vijay is wise in this matter. Hopefully, she will embarass herself in a timely manner so we can go on enjoying the sport as it was meant to be enjoyed - for the competition, not some sideshow that can't hope to compete.