PDA

View Full Version : Tampa to win NFC North

Gramps
09-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Griese has been rejuvinated and doesn't turn the ball over, that running game with Cadillac gives them their best running game ever under Gruden, that defense is still near the top in the league (one that Vick has struggled against in past meetings), and they have a one game lead on Atlanta and two on Carolina.

So why am I seeing 9:5 odds to win the NFC North? Is the public still that much on Atlanta's jock (and to a lesser extent Carolina's), or am I missing something?

McGahee
09-26-2005, 11:18 PM
I got $5,000 that says they don't win the North.

09-26-2005, 11:35 PM
I'd give you a million to one odds that they don't win the NFC North. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mmbt0ne
09-27-2005, 03:58 AM
You do realize that the combined record of TB's opponents so far is 2-7 right? It's not like they're out there beating the cream of the crop just yet.

However, the most important thing to note here is their schedule. Forget trying to analyze their playing ability, when you have this left for the year:

4 Sun, Oct 2 Detroit
5 Sun, Oct 9 at NY Jets
6 Sun, Oct 16 Miami
7 BYE WEEK
8 Sun, Oct 30 at San Francisco
9 Sun, Nov 6 Carolina
10 Sun, Nov 13 Washington
11 Sun, Nov 20 at Atlanta
12 Sun, Nov 27 Chicago
13 Sun, Dec 4 at New Orleans
14 Sun, Dec 11 at Carolina
15 Sat, Dec 17 at New England
16 Sat, Dec 24 Atlanta
17 Sun, Jan 1 New Orleans

they could very easily be 6-1 before they start to play teams worth a damn.

Gramps
09-27-2005, 04:20 AM
I think Carolina, Atlanta, and Tampa all have pretty easy looking schedules this year (playing mostly the same teams). Given that Tampa has a legit running game now to go along with that defense, a top-notch head coach, and a solid-enough QB who's not turnover prone, the lead they have on Atlanta and Carolina seems to be worth something. I mean, the Falcons won the division last year, but they had a pretty easy schedule & division (with Tampa, NO, and Carolina collectively sucking for much of the year), yet were flat out ugly at times last year. Not saying Tampa is the odds on favorite or anything, just that 9 to 5 seemed kind of high.

craig r
09-27-2005, 04:25 AM
They are in the South.

craig

ThaHero
09-27-2005, 05:29 AM
TB has gotten off to a great start and has impressed a lot of people, but I don't think they'll win the South at all. Atlanta was in the playoffs last year and their core is in tact. Carolina almost made the playoffs last year with injuries, and look to be healthy. NO is playing with a lot of heart but are still the weakest team in the division.

2 games left vs. Carolina and Atlanta, plus a game with New England. There are a few more games in their schedule that aren't "automatic" wins either. Also, last week Cadillac had 37 carries. In college he split a lot of duties with Ronnie Brown. So we will have to see how long he holds up over a whole season. Michael Pittman is no Carnell Williams. I don't think there is any way they win this division, but hey, maybe you will prove me wrong.