PDA

View Full Version : 13th floor

raisins
09-26-2005, 10:08 PM
You probably don't want the people at work knowing you checked this (http://www.newsfilter.org/videos/index.php?id=16525) out.

A valuable lesson on the importance of checking one's assumptions.

raisins

P.S. If easily disturbed give this one a pass...

Bradyams
09-26-2005, 10:14 PM
That dumbass was dead even if the rope was short enough.

Dominic
09-26-2005, 10:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, that's Darwinism at it's best. Strengthens the gene pool. Bleedin' moron.

Dominic
09-26-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, wouldn't he have slammed into the wall??

Bradyams
09-26-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, wouldn't he have slammed into the wall??

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that or he'd decelerate so quickly he would probably die. The rope looked like it was a standard rope with no give in it.

That's if he stayed attached to the rope.

flatline
09-26-2005, 10:20 PM
A feel bad for laughing at a guy dying, but that was just so incredibly stupid.

HopeydaFish
09-26-2005, 10:36 PM
I'm pretty sure it is an urban legend, though I can't find it on Snopes.

This wasn't actual video of the guy dying...it was a poorly done "re-creation".

private joker
09-26-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm thinking. The shots of them drinking beer so conspicuously just smacks of afterschool special. "They were drinking alcohol!!! Dangerous!!! Bad!

Looked like actors.

Bradyams
09-26-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure it is an urban legend, though I can't find it on Snopes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it looks like one of those types of videos. The beer bottles with no labels, and I thought I heard music. Where the hell was that coming from?

Well, if this was supposed to educate people on the proper technique of jumping off a building, then the film makers are idiots.

Voltron87
09-26-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm thinking. The shots of them drinking beer so conspicuously just smacks of afterschool special. "They were drinking alcohol!!! Dangerous!!! Bad!

Looked like actors.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly what i thought when i saw the beer.

i dont get it, even if the rope had been the right length the guys legs still would have been pulled off. i can see people being stupid enough to mess up on the 13th floor bit, but not on thinking a plain rope would actually hold them. im having a hard time believing its real.

raisins
09-27-2005, 08:22 AM
You are right, it is fake. I surfed around after reading the replies and the segment is from one of the Faces of Death. I've never seen any of them but from what I came across, apparently the first had a fair number of segments that were real and the sequels had more and more faked bits. Yeah, if you stop and think about it there are all the problems that were mentioned, scraping against the wall, foot torn off by the rope if it is short enough, impact with the ground if it is a bungee cord, and on top of it all there seems to be plenty of extra slack not just 10'.

One amusing detail that I came across is that it is supposed to have happened to engineering students.

Apparently something like this did ocur about 10 years ago when a bungee jumper used a hot air balloon as a platform. The operator miscalculated the distance and turned out to be about 60 feet short. The jumper died.

raisins

FouTight
09-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Not to mention the camera cuts, while, not professional, where better then you would find from a bunch of people drunk enough to jump off a building.

Blarg
09-27-2005, 08:45 AM
I read about a guy doing a bungie jump at a bungie jumping event tons of people went to that was run by some sort of supposedly competent professionals or something. The guy in charge forgot to tie the other end of the bungie cord.

You know sooner or later it was bound to happen. It finally did.

I know with 100% certainty this is what will happen if I tried it, so I'll never try it.

steelcmg
09-27-2005, 09:18 AM
the first time i saw that on faces of death i thought it was funny as sh it stupid ass people. Its not as funny anymore but still makes me think how dumb people really are.