PDA

View Full Version : Tip profiling

bdk3clash
09-26-2005, 09:51 PM
While in DC this past weekend I went out to lunch with my father and a friend of his. We went to Houston's in Bethesda. I used to wait tables at the Houston's in Rockville. I had the hickory burger. The service and food were good.

Upon receiving the bill my father's friend insisted on paying. My father relented. As we were getting up to leave I happened to notice that he left a $5 tip on a $40.xx bill. (I glanced at the credit card receipt after he signed it.)

As we were all leaving, we said our goodbyes and he went to the restroom. I lingered behind and when he was out of sight I placed a $5 bill under the receipt (even if he walked by the table he wouldn't have noticed it.)

Comments appreciated on all streets, but I'm mainly interested in my river play.

09-26-2005, 09:53 PM
nh
Ya got class, kid.

Luv2DriveTT
09-26-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Comments appreciated on all streets, but I'm mainly interested in my river play.

[/ QUOTE ]

well timed check-raise. I have been known to do the same, but I have yet to master the talented "stay behind to go to the bathroom" trick, I'm unfortunately obvious about it all too often.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Voltron87
09-26-2005, 09:56 PM
i like your play here.

miajag81
09-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Looks good to me.

Evan
09-26-2005, 09:58 PM
What does a hickory burger entail?

Luv2DriveTT
09-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Would anyone else check-raise his own father on the river? Would anyone not check-raise if the dealer was average or slightly sub-par? Would anyone not check-raise if it villain wasn't familly?

PS: The hickory burger is pretty good, goes will with an Arnold Palmer.

Evan
09-26-2005, 10:01 PM
So far both of your posts in this thread have shown that you need to read the OP again.

flatline
09-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I like your play.

I thought this was going to be a thread about servers profiling guests and how much they are likely to tip based on race, sex, age, etc.

bdk3clash
09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
1/2 pound ground sirloin burger
cheddar cheese
canadian bacon
hickory barbecue sauce

Luv2DriveTT
09-26-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So far both of your posts in this thread have shown that you need to read the OP again.

[/ QUOTE ]

read deeper my friend.

Evan
09-26-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
cheddar cheese
canadian bacon
hickory barbecue sauce

[/ QUOTE ]
The canadian bacon sounds like it could be hit or miss; I think I'd prefer regular bacon. Sounds good though, I like 1/2 lb. burgers.

NLSoldier
09-26-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Upon receiving the bill my father's friend insisted on paying.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

read deeper my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Evan
09-26-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

read deeper my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brad didn't go to the bathroom, his dad's friend did.
Brad didn't "check-raise" family, his dad's friend paid.

I read your posts again and I don't see anything "deeper".

Luv2DriveTT
09-26-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
cheddar cheese
canadian bacon
hickory barbecue sauce

[/ QUOTE ]
The canadian bacon sounds like it could be hit or miss; I think I'd prefer regular bacon. Sounds good though, I like 1/2 lb. burgers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best cooked medium rare. The cheese comes out grated and smothered on the bun, unmelted. Canadian Bacon is the way to go for this one, it pairs well with the BBQ sauce, very tasty.

On a side note, the fries that come with this burger are really really good.

Luv2DriveTT
09-26-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Brad didn't go to the bathroom, his dad's friend did.
Brad didn't "check-raise" family, his dad's friend paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah you got me on the family. I intended to type family friend. My bad there.

I need practice. Take me out to diner and leave a small tip. As we are leaving, I'll run off to the bathroom and meet you outside when I am done. Please grade my performance.

theben
09-26-2005, 10:21 PM
10% used to be the standard tipping amount.

then it unofficially became:
10% - not so hot service
15% - avg service
20% - good service

but it seems trends lead toward 20% being standard. i usually tip randomly between 15-20%, closer to 20%.

CIncyHR
09-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Nice move. I just started waiting tables in DC myself (Afterwords cafe in Dupont if you know of it) and those mofos work hard.

NH

Evan
09-26-2005, 10:45 PM
btw, i think your tipping move was good.

ucfryan
09-26-2005, 10:51 PM
As a server, I'd have to say your play was brilliant, in my opinion.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:12 PM
I don't like your move. If tax is 10% there (just a guess), then that's a $36 pre-tax bill. 15% tip on that is $5.40. Yeah, I would have left $7 or $8, but $5 is definitely in a reasonable ballpark. Given that I think it's a not unreasonable tip, I don't think it's your place to (even surreptitiously) call this guy a cheapass with your action, potentially embarrassing him after he was nice enough to pay for your meal. While I appreciate the intent of your gesture, I think it was rude.

Felix_Nietsche
09-26-2005, 11:38 PM
I don't like your move. If tax is 10% there (just a guess), then that's a $36 pre-tax bill. 15% tip on that is $5.40. Yeah, I would have left $7 or $8, but $5 is definitely in a reasonable ballpark. Given that I think it's a not unreasonable tip, I don't think it's your place to (even surreptitiously) call this guy a cheapass with your action, potentially embarrassing him after he was nice enough to pay for your meal. While I appreciate the intent of your gesture, I think it was rude.
I agree. You tip based on the bill BEFORE the taxes. You wasted $5.

dblgutshot
09-26-2005, 11:40 PM
I don't think the $5 being wasted is the issue. It was a dick move.