PDA

View Full Version : Song Choices for a 10 year old Boy....... Need Suggestions

dabluebery
09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
My nephew turned 10 today. One of the presents he got was a CD, "American Idiot," by Green Day. Because of explicit lyrics, he's not allowed to listen to at least a few songs from the CD, so it's my job to burn a new CD with all of the "OK" songs on it for him.

While I'm at it, he asked me to put more stuff on the CD, from my MP3 collection, if I could. I'm more than happy to do so, but I don't know what to put on there. He's a 10 year old kid, and I don't want to put a bunch of stuff he's not ready for, and sour him on it. I need your help.....

His favorite songs are "All Star" by Smash Mouth, "Blvd. of Broken Dreams," and "Wake me Up When September Ends" from the Green Day CD.

My music collection is lop-sided. It's mostly old stuff, Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan, Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, etc. I don't have a lot of cheesy pop music, but I have some random things from the heydey of Napster over five years ago.

One song I'm definitely going to add is "Time of Your Life," another poppy Green Day ballad. I was thinking of some simple stuff from the Beach Boys and the Beatles to round it out, things like;

Wouldn't it be Nice
Sloop John B
When I'm Sixty-Four
Yellow Submarine

I can't exactly put "The Ballad of John and Yoko" on there, I'm kinda stuck on what to throw on there that's high quality music. I'm not opposed to buying a few songs from Itunes, or in seeking stuff out that's outside my library, if I agree with the suggestion. My wife suggested "Barenaked Ladies" songs like "If I had a Million Dollars" and I think that's perfect. Any help is much appreciated.

He's a fairly normal 10 year old boy, likes video games, Harry Potter. He's not completely trendy, he "could" like something that his friends don't like / know about, but it can't be too far out there.

And you're off........

La Brujita
09-26-2005, 07:37 PM
DMB Ants Marching

The John Mayer song about high school

Some Kelly Clarkson

Just my random thoughts as I stab myself with scissors.

TheIrishThug
09-26-2005, 07:37 PM
tool - stinkfist

David04
09-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Damn I wish I could come up with a clever priest joke right now.

dabluebery
09-26-2005, 07:42 PM
Good one with Ants Go Marching. I don't know the other stuff, thanks.

I've got plenty of Dave Matthews stuff to throw on there.

rohjoh
09-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Since I have a ten year old son, I will make a suggestion.

Download the soundtrack to any of the Tony Hawk games. I just loaded up my sons ipod with Tony Hawk underground soundtrack

Here is a partial list

1. The Angry Amputees / She Said
2. Assorted Jelly Beans / Rebel Yell
3. Bad Religion / Big Bang
4. Blue Collar Special / Don’t Wait
5. Bracket / 2 Rak 005
6. Dropkick Murphys / Time to Go
7. Flamethrower / I Want It All
8. G.B.H. / Crushem
9. Mike V and the Rats / The Days
10. NOFX / The Separation of Church and Skate
11. Paint It Black / Womb Envy
12. Refused / New Noise
13. Rise Against / Like the Angels
14. Rubber City Rebels / Pierce My Brain
15. Social Distortion / Mommy’s Little Monster
16. Stiff Little Fingers / Suspect Device
17. Strike Anywhere / Refusal
18. Sublime / Seed
19. The Browns American / Werewolf in Calgary
20. The Clash / White Riot
21. The Transplants / California Babylon
22. Alkaline Trio / Armageddon
23.The Addicts / Viva La Revolution
24.The Midnight Evils / Loaded and Lonely

Spaded
09-26-2005, 07:44 PM
System of a Down - BYOB /images/graemlins/grin.gif Give him the gift of ADHD

lem45216
09-26-2005, 07:44 PM
No no no, you need to get him into good music from an early age. Beatles is the right way to go, but don't just stick to the airy poppy songs, wack helter skelter on there and Day Tripper, Taxman and Back in The USSR, i used to love those songs when i was about 10 (still love them now). And yeah beach boys songs like Surfin USA, Fun Fun Fun, Good Vibrations etc. Maybe My Generation or Can't Explain by The Who, and something like Baggy Trousers by Madness.

You could also go for some stuff like the Ghostbusters theme tune, he's gotta like ghostbusters.

This is the perfect opportunity to mould his mind into the way you want, it'll mean that in years to come you wont have to go on to him about 'that modern crap you listen to'. Because it'll all be good music.

dabluebery
09-26-2005, 07:47 PM
This is kinda the idea, I just don't want to overwhelm him and cause backlash against..... the Beatles or something really good.

I mean, I could throw "Good Charlotte" on there and know he'd like it, but I'm not necessarily interested in cultivating his love for Good Charlotte. This is hard.

shant
09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Is hip hop out of the question because there are some tracks on the new Common and Kanye CD's that I'd put on there.

dabluebery
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
I didn't think of that, but I wouldn't rule it out. I don't have much exposure myself, so I'm out of my element, but not out of the question.

Spaded
09-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Give him some old classics that everyone knows, like "I'm a soooooooooul man". Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll" - thats the song you hear in stadiums during sporting events, the one that goes "heeeeeeeey". Or Johnny Cash's "A boy named sue". "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen is one i loved at 10. Or feed him some ZZ Top!

dabluebery
09-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Good call with Bohemian Rhapsody. I have it, and loved it when I was 10. That's when it was re-released with Wayne's World.

cdxx
09-26-2005, 08:09 PM
buy him a TMBG cd

MrTrik
09-26-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I have a ten year old son, I will make a suggestion.
Download the soundtrack to any of the Tony Hawk games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think non-M rated video game soundtracks are a pretty great idea for gathering ideas for a young kid's playlist. I hadn't thought of that.

STLantny
09-26-2005, 08:20 PM
my brother is 11 he asked me to burn:
franz ferdinand??
eye of the tiger
devil went down to georgia
some dave mathews songs

New001
09-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I think one of the best things for me growing up music-wise was getting to listen to all of my parents' old Beatles records. It's tons better than anything new he could be hearing now.

09-26-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some Kelly Clarkson

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And while you're at it, get the kid a pink polo shirt and show him how to pop the collar.

09-26-2005, 09:34 PM
I suggest stuff like "Hangin' Tough" by the New Kids on the Block, "Bat Dance" by Prince, and "Like a Prayer" by Madonna. I liked these songs when I was 10. Of course we are talking about 1989, so I'm not sure what to tell you. Good luck.

If he's never heard the New Kids on the Block, then it's new to him!

dabluebery
09-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Funny story..... we got him "Alf" on DVD for his birthday, because he saw an episode and thought it was the greatest show in history. So, he's in tune with 1989.

09-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Cool, just stay away from Eazy-E and Geto Boys.

"Dr. Feelgood" was another good one from '89, as well as "Janie's Got a Gun".

HtotheNootch
09-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Does he chronically wet his bed?

4_2_it
09-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Coming from someone with 2 kids (12 and 8) and 3 ipods:

Anything by the Beatles - Bungalow Bill, Octopus' Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer are my kids favs
Smashmouth Allstar
Anything by Simple Plan or Maroon 5
Shrek 2 soundtrack is good
YMCA - Village People
Anything by KC and the Sunshine Band
My oldest daughter loves Beck and Gwen Stefani
BNL - One Week, It's All Been Done, If I Had $1 million
Depeche Mode - People Are People (Actually a good message in there)

dabluebery
09-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to try and stretch all this stuff over two CD's, with as much of the Green Day as I can find appropriate. Other than the two ballads I listed, it's not looking very promising for the "American Idiots" CD. He's only 10, a little over his head / vulgar.

Anyway, here's what I've compiled.

Dave Matthews Band
Ants Go Marching
what Would You Say

Barenaked Ladies
If I Had a Million Dollars
One Week

The Beatles
Yellow Submarine
Hello Goodbye
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
When I'm Sixty-Four
We Can Work it Out

The Beach Boys
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Wouldn't It Be Nice

Johnny Cash
A Boy Named Sue
You are My Sunshine (with Bob Dylan)

Green Day (Other Songs)
Time of Your Life
When I Come Around

Miscellaneous
The Anthem (Good Charlotte)
Spiderwebs (No Doubt)
Family Portrait (Pink)
I'd Do Anything (Simple Plan)
Happy Together (The Turtles)
Under the Bridge - (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Bohemian Rhapsody - (Queen)
Allstar (Smashmouth)

rohjoh
09-26-2005, 11:42 PM
I think you did a pretty good job. I asked my son, to make a recomendation, and he said to add Gorilaz, Feel Good Inc. and Clint Eastwood. Thought he might like those. He knew almost every song on the list, and liked most of your choices(everything but Pink).

mike l.
09-26-2005, 11:49 PM
weird al

Spaded
09-27-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you did a pretty good job. I asked my son, to make a recomendation, and he said to add Gorilaz, Feel Good Inc.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one that goes "shitty ditty" 2 times at the end /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

DougShrapnel
09-27-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Under the Bridge - (Red Hot Chili Peppers)

[/ QUOTE ] I'd take this song out, drug references. Not that they would get it.

theben
09-27-2005, 01:26 AM
whatever you do, make sure to steer him clear of that colourful urban music

JihadOnTheRiver
09-27-2005, 01:38 AM
10 year old boy? Definetely Michael Jackson, Beat It.

dabluebery
09-27-2005, 01:47 AM
I'm 24, first heard this song when I was 10, and I still don't get the drug references.