PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive-compulsive walking patterns / cracks / lines / etc.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 07:13 PM
So, I met this girl recently. I commented on her walking pattern and it really freaked her out. She thought she was the only person who did stuff like this. What I'm talking about is doing things like:

Not stepping on cracks.

If there are square patterns, stepping in the middle of the squares, never on the lines.

If there are lines/grooves on the sidewalk (like, at a corner), orienting your feet/steps in the same direction.

If there is a painted line on the crosswalk, either walking only on the paint or not on the paint.

Who here know WTF I am talking about and/or partakes in such obsessive compulsive walking quirkiness?

tdarko
09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
i don't want to break my mother's back though /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Voltron87
09-26-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, I met this girl recently. I commented on her walking pattern and it really freaked her out. She thought she was the only person who did stuff like this. What I'm talking about is doing things like:

Not stepping on cracks.

If there are square patterns, stepping in the middle of the squares, never on the lines.

If there are lines/grooves on the sidewalk (like, at a corner), orienting your feet/steps in the same direction.

If there is a painted line on the crosswalk, either walking only on the paint or not on the paint.

Who here know WTF I am talking about and/or partakes in such obsessive compulsive walking quirkiness?

[/ QUOTE ]

heres what ive always done since I was a kid. imagine nyc sidewalks, with fairly large squares/rectangles. in my mind i draw diagonals from the 4 corners, and i also avoide stepping on those imaginary lines as well as the real cracks. i started doing this as a little kid, probably just ADD and needing something else to focus on while walking.

also, great idea for an OOT thread.

SpearsBritney
09-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Nicholson did this in As Good As It Gets.

OCD is a very strange disease. In extreme cases, some people will repeatedly circle around the block to make sure they didn't run anyone over.

Lazymeatball
09-26-2005, 07:19 PM
I used to do this alot when I was a kid, probably some sort of ADD/OCD/POP physchobabble. Not so much now. I also used to stare at the power lines on the side of the road during car rides and pretend there was some guy doing crazy acrobatic stuff on them running along to keep up.

theben
09-26-2005, 07:19 PM
i used to do that stuff. im still pretty neurotic and i probably need to be institutionalized

STLantny
09-26-2005, 07:21 PM
I always try to step in the middle of tile squares, and try to always walk on the same color tile, with every step.

Slow Play Ray
09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who here...partakes in such obsessive compulsive walking quirkiness?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

Eurotrash
09-26-2005, 07:35 PM
I dunno if I do this when walking too much, but I definitely have some OCD tendencies in general.

09-26-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who here...partakes in such obsessive compulsive walking quirkiness?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

[/ QUOTE ]

oddjob
09-26-2005, 07:39 PM
i actually try to step on the cracks, i don't know why i do it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-26-2005, 07:43 PM
If you do step on a crack, do you feel the need to step on an equal-sized crack with the other foot to even things out?

09-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Ok does anyone else do this:
I prefer not to step on cracks when i start thinking about it, but if i'm already walking and talking to someone i won't make a big deal of it etc. However, sometimes, i'll be counting in my head the number of steps between the cracks and then trying to make a pattern out of it and if i go out of that pattern it feels a bit strange. like 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3 1 2 (steps between each crack).

Anyone else do something like this?

Slow Play Ray
09-26-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I prefer not to step on cracks when i start thinking about it, but if i'm already walking and talking to someone i won't make a big deal of it etc. However, sometimes, i'll be counting in my head the number of steps between the cracks and then trying to make a pattern out of it and if i go out of that pattern it feels a bit strange. like 1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3 1 2 (steps between each crack).

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. almost word-for-word.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you do step on a crack, do you feel the need to step on an equal-sized crack with the other foot to even things out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

bravos1
09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same here...

Voltron87
09-26-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Also, I'm sure that the fact this is an internet forum skews the results towards people being neurotic, etc.

09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Thats pretty strange. Ok, so anyone got a clue as to why we're doing this?

Prevaricator
09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
yes

peachy
09-26-2005, 07:52 PM
those r mild examples of OCD...

Rev. Good Will
09-26-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same here...

[/ QUOTE ]

tom441lbk
09-26-2005, 07:54 PM
i do something very similar, but i would say it isn't a hardcore ocd thing for me, maybe a lower severity case or something

LBJ
09-26-2005, 07:57 PM
From when I was like 6 to 12 I used to have this OCD thing I'd do where everything I'd do had to be in factors of three.

If I'd swallow once, I'd have to do it two more times. If I'd tap my finger four times, I'd have to tap 2 or 5 more times to even it out. I literally did this on every time I did. Gum chewing, spitting, etc.

On the bright side, I'm a [censored] whiz when reciting factors of 3. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slow Play Ray
09-26-2005, 07:59 PM
I was messing around on Google and found this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/ocd/index.shtml) survey.

my results:

[ QUOTE ]
Based on your score on the screening device, it would appear that you probably do not have OCD. However, only a mental health professional can make an accurate diagnosis and if you are experiencing psychological distress it may be advisable to see a clinician for further evaluation. You may also want to keep in mind that most so-called 'normal' people have some obsessive thoughts and some ritualistic behaviour in their lives. It's only when their obsessions and compulsions start becoming an overwhelming primary focus in a person's life that a person has clinical OCD.

[/ QUOTE ]

09-26-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

heres what ive always done since I was a kid. imagine nyc sidewalks, with fairly large squares/rectangles. in my mind i draw diagonals from the 4 corners, and i also avoide stepping on those imaginary lines as well as the real cracks. i started doing this as a little kid, probably just ADD and needing something else to focus on while walking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done the same thing since an early age. I concluded a few years back that it had something to do with wanting to find patterns and order in the world. I went a bit farther however in that I would draw these imaginary lines in other situations as well - like looking for patterns of alignment between tables and desks etc. in classrooms.

lapoker17
09-26-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm glad you met a girl.

09-26-2005, 08:13 PM
ok i doubt anyone else shares this particular neuroticism but... say we're driving down the highway and someone else is driving and i'm in the back seat. Often i'll click my teeth (just kinda bite down or something lightly ) for every one line and try to do it for each white line and then stop eventually when i realizei t would be impossible to do it for all the lines.

spamuell
09-26-2005, 08:23 PM
I used to but I've basically stopped now, although I occasionally feel the need to even out the number of cracks I've stepped on with each foot.

Yeti
09-26-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad you met a girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, my first thought too.

This thread has shocked me, you all seem rather weird.

Benal
09-26-2005, 08:33 PM
I used to do this, but then realized how stupid I must look taking an extra large step every once in a while to avoid steping on a crack... or doing a little shuffle step.

jdl22
09-26-2005, 08:42 PM
I do nothing anyone's mentioned in the thread.

On a similar note my wife will often worry for some time about whether she locked the door and/or left the stove on and has never messed up that I recall (it's possible that it happened once or twice with the door but I'm sure the stove's never been on after we left). She will often check as we're leaving and then while we're out will ask me if I remember he checking these things or if I checked myself. Anybody do this or have experience dealing with someone who does? I'm used to it now but I still don't know the best response because I normally can't remember and she can normally tell if I'm lying (saying I remember her doing it) and gets more worried when I say I can't remember.

spamuell
09-26-2005, 08:46 PM
On a similar note my wife will often worry for some time about whether she locked the door and/or left the stove on

Yeah I have gone back to my house to check I locked the door and found it's locked and I quite frequently check things before I leave to make sure I've done them.

People are ridiculous.

theTourne
09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From when I was like 6 to 12 I used to have this OCD thing I'd do where everything I'd do had to be in factors of three.

If I'd swallow once, I'd have to do it two more times. If I'd tap my finger four times, I'd have to tap 2 or 5 more times to even it out. I literally did this on every time I did. Gum chewing, spitting, etc.

On the bright side, I'm a [censored] whiz when reciting factors of 3. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Often when I see a billboard, sign, phrase on TV, etc. I'll count the words and try to make the total number a multiple of 4. Sometimes I'll count hypenated words as 1 word, sometimes 2, sometimes I'll include extra words nearby, always trying to find a group that is a multiple of 4. I think I am OK with a multiple of 2, but prefer a multiple of 4. Will do this with letters in phrases occasionally too. I think I do it much less now than I did as a kid.

As far as sidewalk cracks go, I'm in the even out both feet crowd. I also try to make them hit the same place on each foot. If my left foot hits a crack near the toe, and my right foot hits one near the heal, I'll try to balance them out. I tend to do this when out running, and will also even out things like my left arm brushing my hip, right foot stepping in grass, etc. Sometimes it gets ridiculous and I shake my head and force myself to stop.

Neither of these things really bother me, but evening out my feet on the cracks can be annoying, because if I think the wrong part of my foot has hit, it gets worse (both feet then need to hit).

New001
09-26-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Not stepping on cracks.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to do that same kind of thing. I've mostly grown out of it, but I do have a couple weird things left. If I, say, brush my left hand against a wall or something, I usually have to brush my right hand against the other wall or something strange like that. I don't know why.

Sakuraba
09-26-2005, 09:02 PM
I do everything you mentioned and everything that was mentioned up to this point in the thread except the "factor of 3" thing. I also have a few other weird quirks that are probably related.

I do them pretty infrequently so they never interfere with my life, but once I get caught up in one, it really bothers me. For example, if I don't even out the cracks stepped on with each foot, I will be left with the feeling that something is wrong for maybe 20 minutes.

I think the frequency and intensity of this has diminished somewhat with age. (I am 31.) Also, I think it has been more pronounced during stressful periods in my life.

smb394
09-26-2005, 09:12 PM
I do most of these things while walking. I don't have problems with doing things in sets so much, but I kind of get upset if things aren't symmetrical. ADD drugs help though.

dtbog
09-26-2005, 09:24 PM
I generally do these sorts of things when I'm walking alone or bored.. make a pattern out of whatever is on the ground.

However, I justify this to myself (in other words, reassure myself that I'm not Woody Allen) by the fact that when I'm actively participating in a discussion (or even just thinking about something), I don't feel any sort of compulsion to step in any pattern.

nervous
09-26-2005, 09:30 PM
I generally just follow patterns in steps while either stepping on no cracks or stepping on every one. I usually step on the cracks though and try to get it right on the arch of the foot.

It's all about the walking patterns guys...

LBJ
09-26-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Often when I see a billboard, sign, phrase on TV, etc. I'll count the words and try to make the total number a multiple of 4. Sometimes I'll count hypenated words as 1 word, sometimes 2, sometimes I'll include extra words nearby, always trying to find a group that is a multiple of 4. I think I am OK with a multiple of 2, but prefer a multiple of 4. Will do this with letters in phrases occasionally too. I think I do it much less now than I did as a kid.

As far as sidewalk cracks go, I'm in the even out both feet crowd. I also try to make them hit the same place on each foot. If my left foot hits a crack near the toe, and my right foot hits one near the heal, I'll try to balance them out. I tend to do this when out running, and will also even out things like my left arm brushing my hip, right foot stepping in grass, etc. Sometimes it gets ridiculous and I shake my head and force myself to stop.

Neither of these things really bother me, but evening out my feet on the cracks can be annoying, because if I think the wrong part of my foot has hit, it gets worse (both feet then need to hit).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh yeah I do that too....cept with factors of 3 again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glad that phase is over that used to annoy the [censored] out of me.

gumpzilla
09-26-2005, 09:38 PM
I'll frequently try and match my strides so that I'm covering precisely one tile length in an integer number of steps. It's not something I have to do, but I enjoy doing it.

jgorham
09-26-2005, 09:42 PM
On stairs I always step with the foot opposite any pattern, design, bar, light etc. So sometimes I will have to take 2 stairs with the same foot, which is odd. Although sometimes to avoid this I jump over it completely.

captZEEbo1
09-26-2005, 09:45 PM
when I'm riding along in a car, I'll often tap my finger everytime the car is exactly inbetween two dotted (yellow or white) lines.

NLSoldier
09-26-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep

scotty34
09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok i doubt anyone else shares this particular neuroticism but... say we're driving down the highway and someone else is driving and i'm in the back seat. Often i'll click my teeth (just kinda bite down or something lightly ) for every one line and try to do it for each white line and then stop eventually when i realizei t would be impossible to do it for all the lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do something similar to that. Whenever there is a line in the road, I'll curl my toes up, or lift my heels off the ground. Sometime I'll do this every time we pass a telephone pole instead.

Stork
09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Does anyone else, after they spin around for whatever reason, feel they have to spin in the opposite direction to "unspin" themselves? If I don't, something just doesn't feel right. If I can't unspin though, I just drop it and it isn't too big a deal.

w_alloy
09-26-2005, 10:13 PM
I wonder what percent of 2+2ers do this compared to the general public? I bet there are traits very common in successful (or at least analytical) poker players that correlate strongly with this type of behaviour.

I do this way too much too, to the point I have to conciously try not to do too much because people notice and comment on it.

Voltron87
09-26-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do most of these things while walking. I don't have problems with doing things in sets so much, but I kind of get upset if things aren't symmetrical. ADD drugs help though.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you get said ADD drugs if youve never been diagnosed with it but are pretty sure you have it? theres got to be a college black market for it, any other way?

STLantny
09-26-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do something similar to that. Whenever there is a line in the road, I'll curl my toes up, or lift my heels off the ground. Sometime I'll do this every time we pass a telephone pole instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this, but I shoot a finger gun instead of curling toes/lifting heals.

rory
09-26-2005, 10:34 PM
I do all of those things. Also, I walk over the same number of tiles with each step and on brick walkways I won't walk on the half-bricks, only whole ones.

mmbt0ne
09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
No cracks.

If I do step on a crack, I step on the next crack with the same part of my other foot, even if it means completely altering my step pattern. As I'm stepping over cracks, I have to step over an equal number of cracks with each foot, so I try to make a pattern for my steps. On the walkway in the middle of campus I go 5-steps 3-steps on each section (they're not the same length).

Equal colors.

If there is tile, I either stay on one color the entire time, or have to have equal steps for my two feet on whatever other color I come across. If it's a white hallway with something like this:

w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w
w-w-w-w-K-B-w-w-w-w
w-w-w-w-B-K-w-w-w-w
w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w

I have to either step over the entire length of the decorative tiles (equal times of course) or if I step in the path of one of the colors (a white tile that is on the same y-coordinate as a black or blue tile) then I have to step on the same position tile at a later point down the hall.

It's a lot of different manifestations of those 2 things, but that pretty much covers it. I'm a lot better when I'm talking with multiple people though, so long as I can make it the whole way without noticing. If I notice halfway through then I start thinking about it and wondering what I've done so far so that I can balance it out.

rory
09-26-2005, 10:36 PM
I do that too. I do it with trees if I am the passenger.

Dave G.
09-26-2005, 10:37 PM
Come on guys, the answer to this one should be obvious.

It all stems from those games we played in primary school with our friends. You know, the game where if you step on a crack, you like a girl, or you've kissed a girl. This was such a horribly traumatic taunt in the day that we conditioned ourselves to conciously avoid stepping on them so as to avoid all the humiliation that was associated with it.

Yes, I exhibit some of these behaviours too.

CIncyHR
09-26-2005, 10:39 PM
I never ever step on the top step of a flight of stairs.

SpearsBritney
09-26-2005, 10:40 PM
OK, I'm calling BS on this entire thread. WTF????? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

mmbt0ne
09-26-2005, 10:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Does anyone else, after they spin around for whatever reason, feel they have to spin in the opposite direction to "unspin" themselves? If I don't, something just doesn't feel right. If I can't unspin though, I just drop it and it isn't too big a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

What bothers me a lot more are when I'm watching a commercial, and go into something that I don't come out of. For instance, I think there's a Zararain's commercial where the camera zooms into a trumpet while a guy's playing it to transition between scenes, but never zooms back out of the trumpet. That really really bothers me, and makes me feel like I'm still stuck in the trumpet. I think there is/was a pre-movie thing at one of the major cinema companies (Cinemark?) that did something similar to this too.

Slow Play Ray
09-26-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
makes me feel like I'm still stuck in the trumpet.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do this (but with me I'm generally shooting an imaginary line in my mind through the gap) between lane line markings, between open spaces where a row of cars line up, between guardrail posts, etc.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to do this, but then realized how stupid I must look taking an extra large step every once in a while to avoid steping on a crack... or doing a little shuffle step.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, whether to take the large step or do the shuffle step is a tough decision.

stabn
09-26-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep

[/ QUOTE ]

Not usually, but in some specific places i walk a lot that have a pattern of cracks or something similar i do.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This sounds pretty crazy and I think you should see a professional about this.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I sometimes shoot the finger gun when doing this, but usually just shoot like mind laser beams or something.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
on brick walkways I won't walk on the half-bricks, only whole ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like the only reasonable option, doesn't it?

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Overall, your plan sounds pretty solid.

[ QUOTE ]
If I notice halfway through then I start thinking about it and wondering what I've done so far so that I can balance it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just plain wacky, though!

Justin A
09-26-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do this (but with me I'm generally shooting an imaginary line in my mind through the gap) between lane line markings, between open spaces where a row of cars line up, between guardrail posts, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll sometimes do all of the above and also use shadows from trees or telephone poles.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do that too. I do it with trees if I am the passenger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do it w/ all the things people have mentioned here. Still haven't read anyone else doing it through (both straight and diagonally) empty spaces between cars lined up.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds silly. No reason for this at all.

Ulysses
09-26-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What bothers me a lot more are when I'm watching a commercial, and go into something that I don't come out of. ... That really really bothers me, and makes me feel like I'm still stuck in the trumpet.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wacko!

Justin A
09-26-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds silly. No reason for this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is defined as the top step? The first step that isn't on the level of the upper floor? Because otherwise I would find this impossible to do.

NLSoldier
09-26-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY [censored]. I definately thought I was the only person in the world that did this. Good to know Im not crazy. Or at least not alone /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheWorstPlayer
09-26-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I sometimes shoot the finger gun when doing this, but usually just shoot like mind laser beams or something.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is such a quirky but interesting thread. Here's mine: while riding in the car (and only while riding in the car for some reason) I imagine that from the roof of the car on both sides extends a really long saw or knife or something that wraps all the way around the world and is leveling all trees and buildings, etc. on the entire planet to the same height. I have done this for as long as I can remember.

09-26-2005, 11:34 PM
yep i don't just mean the dotted line on the road, i'll do it with trees, electrical posts, whatever, now that you mention it.. bunch of freaks we are lol

Voltron87
09-26-2005, 11:35 PM
I do the "unspinning" thing. I know what that guy means.

Also, I always put on socks/shoes/gloves/jackets left to right. left sock, right sock, left shoe, right shoe.

Another is walking up stairs, I always start off on my left foot and I like to end it on my right foot, meaning the last step up I take is with the right, so if there are 10 steps I do 5 on the left and 5 on the right. if there are an odd number of steps i'll skip one or something.

Also, sometimes when I'm walking down the street and see a sign if I'm curious about what it said I'll go back a block or two to check it. Because... you gotta be sure man.,

Stork
09-26-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This sounds pretty crazy and I think you should see a professional about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer 'unique'.

nate1729
09-26-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, I actually *was* obsessive-compulsive for a good long while in my life, so I know what it's like to feel that it's gravely important to step or not step in certain places.

Anyway, just make sure your soap dispenser isn't empty if she ends up at your place.

--Nate

bravos1
09-26-2005, 11:46 PM
I always count the stairs which I go up. The back stairs at my work... 22 to the top. Front stairs, 21. Another building I frequent often, 4 stairs, landing, 16 stairs.

My house, 2 steps, 10 steps, then 4 steps to the top. The great thing about this is I can move around my house in the dark including the stairs just like the lights are on.

bravos1
09-26-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was messing around on Google and found this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/surveys/ocd/index.shtml) survey.

my results:

[ QUOTE ]
Based on your score on the screening device, it would appear that you probably do not have OCD. However, only a mental health professional can make an accurate diagnosis and if you are experiencing psychological distress it may be advisable to see a clinician for further evaluation. You may also want to keep in mind that most so-called 'normal' people have some obsessive thoughts and some ritualistic behaviour in their lives. It's only when their obsessions and compulsions start becoming an overwhelming primary focus in a person's life that a person has clinical OCD.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I thought this question was hilarious:

Question 10

Are you concerned about physically harming a loved one, pushing a stranger in front of a bus, steering your car into oncoming traffic; inappropriate sexual contact; or poisoning dinner guests?

Glad that I do not have those thoughts.. well not often at least /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Stuey
09-27-2005, 12:02 AM
I think my example is more of a feng shui type of thing but I thought it was weird so I wanted to share it.

I know a chick that insisted the bed she slept in had to run with the peak of the house. Yah I explained that some houses have several different peaks going in different directions. But she would just say then it is the direction of the peak of the room you are in.

And what about flat roofed buildings? Why do you have to question everything to death was the answer I got and I let it go at that. As she was getting close to leaving the bed all together.

Remember sleep with the peak!

Voltron87
09-27-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always count the stairs which I go up. The back stairs at my work... 22 to the top. Front stairs, 21. Another building I frequent often, 4 stairs, landing, 16 stairs.

My house, 2 steps, 10 steps, then 4 steps to the top. The great thing about this is I can move around my house in the dark including the stairs just like the lights are on.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, im so starting to do this. the part about being in the dark is kinda sweet.

PocketJokers72
09-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Mr. Stagback, the very real problem is what I find out. You see, there's defense, education, housing, health, social security, silly walks. They're all supposed to get the same. But last year the government spent less on Silly Walks than they did on industrial organisation. We're supposed to get 348 millions pounds a year to cover our entire Silly Walks proposal. Coffee?

haakee
09-27-2005, 12:29 AM
I have dated girls like this before. My strategy was to wait until I met somebody else who was hotter and date them instead.

toddw8
09-27-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm guilty of a lot of the stuff in this thread. This one in particular struck a chord.

[ QUOTE ]
I also used to stare at the power lines on the side of the road during car rides and pretend there was some guy doing crazy acrobatic stuff on them running along to keep up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really thought I was the only one in the world that did this. I always pictured the guy on a skateboard grinding along the power lines and sometimes hopping from billboard to billboard.

I also catch myself counting my steps when I'm walking sometimes. I don't normally don't notice it until I'm in the 80's or 90's but it may be the 280's or 780's because I start over at 1 after i get to 99.

Navers
09-27-2005, 02:11 AM
In a weird way this thread is kind of comforting, I wonder if this OCD is more prevalent in poker players. I do so much of this stuff it's crazy, from the avoiding cracks on sidewalks to the clacking my teeth each time I pass a light pole when I'm in a car. Similar to what others did, sometimes when I'm in a car i'll extend horizontal lines that pass through two close light poles and clench my teeth when my car is fitting right between them. If I still have my teeth clenched while I pass the light pole then I lose.

Another quirky thing I do is I'll say the letters in sentences in multiples of four and hope that the last letter of the sentence ends in a multiple of 4. So if I see the phrase "makes your teeth whiter" on TV I'll get quirky because as I say them four at a time (spaces count as letters) I still have two letters left. I move my fingers along with this as if I'm typing it out. I get restless if the phrase doesn't end in the multiple of four or three or whatever so I'll add punctuation which count as extraneous letters to make the letters "fit"

dibbs
09-27-2005, 02:15 AM
I know a lot of people that all have their varying styles of this idea.

The only one I know I always do is step exactly on the lines in a crosswalk, as if it was a bridge or something.

-Skeme-
09-27-2005, 02:16 AM
I sometimes do this. I can stop, though. It's just something I'd do out of boredom, like clubbing baby seals or something.

DasLeben
09-27-2005, 02:22 AM
OCD is fun. I actually have a decent case of it.

Back when I was 15-16, I used to have to "check" to make sure my bedroom door was closed 50-100 times before I was comfortable. It sounds crazy, but I would stand there and push on it over and over to make sure that it was really closed. I don't do this anymore though.

What I still have problems with is setting alarm clocks. It takes me 5-10 minutes every night to set my three (yes, three) alarms. I just recheck them over and over and over. Yeah, it sucks.

InchoateHand
09-27-2005, 02:24 AM
No, OCD doesn't suck, you do.

I'm glad you are as neurotic as you suck, it almost makes you more palatable. Nope, it doesn't.

Go check your alarms.

DasLeben
09-27-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you are as neurotic as you suck, it almost makes you more palatable. Nope, it doesn't.

Go check your alarms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wilco. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ClaytonN
09-27-2005, 02:26 AM
Sometimes I'll do it, but my walking is normal. 3 steps in a block, then 2. Then 3, then 2. Then I forget all about it and walk on grass of some kind of tile.

09-27-2005, 02:26 AM
at least you know she won't be a lazy slob if you decides to take her home. they're usually pretty organized people.

Voltron87
09-27-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Go check your alarms.

[/ QUOTE ]

after the first line (which wasnt all that good anyway) that was weak. though you have been posting much better lately.

InchoateHand
09-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Thanks! I know this isn't my stronger moments, but its late and I've had a long day.

As to the original thread, when I stop and think about it, I work out weird patterns with the sidewalk. But [censored], I do that with craps too.

Voltron87
09-27-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know how much it means to you.

InchoateHand
09-27-2005, 02:35 AM
You'd be surprised. Ever since you didn't get my elitist sarcasm with a college thread a year ago, I've been trying to win you back.

What the [censored] man! I looked after you in those cold hard twelve minutes in the library.

Voltron87
09-27-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You'd be surprised. Ever since you didn't get my elitist sarcasm with a college thread a year ago, I've been trying to win you back.

What the [censored] man! I looked after you in those cold hard twelve minutes in the library.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i totally dropped the ball on the college stuff. it was pretty thinly veiled, but all the good sarcasm is.

mmbt0ne
09-27-2005, 02:53 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
In a weird way this thread is kind of comforting, I wonder if this OCD is more prevalent in poker players. I do so much of this stuff it's crazy, from the avoiding cracks on sidewalks to the clacking my teeth each time I pass a light pole when I'm in a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely nothing but anecdotal evidence, but I've found that smarter people tend to have more little quirks like this. Staying with that idea, 2p2 has a higher concentration of smart people than average, which would result in more people having similar symptoms here.

09-27-2005, 03:10 AM
whao, you people are nuts. haha

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is such a quirky but interesting thread. Here's mine: while riding in the car (and only while riding in the car for some reason) I imagine that from the roof of the car on both sides extends a really long saw or knife or something that wraps all the way around the world and is leveling all trees and buildings, etc. on the entire planet to the same height. I have done this for as long as I can remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. Never done that, but have done a similar thing where bungee cords or ropes extend from the car and wrap around stuff.

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY [censored]. I definately thought I was the only person in the world that did this. Good to know Im not crazy. Or at least not alone /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect some of this stuff is very hard to understand for people who don't do stuff like this.

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you concerned about physically harming a loved one, pushing a stranger in front of a bus, steering your car into oncoming traffic; inappropriate sexual contact; or poisoning dinner guests?

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that question strange because I was like:

Are you concerned about:

physically harming a loved one - WTF, OF COURSE NOT YOU PSYCHOPATH!

pushing a stranger in front of a bus - UH, OF COURSE!

steering your car into oncoming traffic - HELL, YEAH!

inappropriate sexual contact - WTF, NO YOU PERVERT!;

poisoning dinner guests - WTF KIND OF CRAZY QUESTION IS THIS, HELL NO!

Yeti
09-27-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, I'm calling BS on this entire thread. WTF????? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WackityWhiz
09-27-2005, 07:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

same here...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly... cept I usually go 2,3,2,3,2,3... on the 3's the first step barely makes it over the crack, second step in the middle, and third step just before the crack. Then the next one is easy to make it in 2. It's always a challenge to step just over the crack on the "3" squares.

I probably look like a tard, but I can't help it.

09-27-2005, 07:20 AM
yeah thought i was the only one with this kind of stupid thing. when going by car to somewhere(passanger seat) i hold the breath when car is passing a street light unless im talking with someone. gets annoying after a while.

Other thing is if I see a huge outside temperature meter or an offer ill have to do some basic calculations.
I.e if the tempretature is +19, my head automaticly goes "1+9=10, 10*10=100, 100+100=200", you get the idea.

Slow Play Ray
09-27-2005, 08:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always pictured the guy on a skateboard grinding along the power lines and sometimes hopping from billboard to billboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ditto. sometimes a skateboard, sometimes a dirt bike.

TheWorstPlayer
09-27-2005, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that question strange because I was like:

Are you concerned about:

physically harming a loved one - WTF, OF COURSE NOT YOU PSYCHOPATH!

pushing a stranger in front of a bus - UH, OF COURSE!

steering your car into oncoming traffic - HELL, YEAH!

inappropriate sexual contact - WTF, NO YOU PERVERT!;

poisoning dinner guests - WTF KIND OF CRAZY QUESTION IS THIS, HELL NO!

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, this is great. My thoughts almost word for word. Made me laugh, too.

Aces McGee
09-27-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

-McGee

Shajen
09-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Sometimes I find myself doing this unconsciously...like if I'm concentrating on a problem or something, I'll look down and realize I'm not stepping on cracks and stuff.

It's annoying to me. I consciously make myself step on the crack just to break the pattern.

I never said I wasn't weird.

B Dids
09-27-2005, 10:28 AM
I very much do this. Aviod cracks, step in the middle of squares. If a square is big, I will take smaller steps that I have an evenly spaced foot pattern through the steps.

I do a lot of minor OCD stuff like that. It's fun.

B Dids
09-27-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally.

B Dids
09-27-2005, 10:34 AM
I also do the laser thing, or sometimes I just imagine that somebody really fast is jumping off of the little roadside things you see and keeping up with the car.

FouTight
09-27-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My situation may be slightly different. My car has lasers mounted on the hood that point out at 45 degree angles...

I shoot telephone poles mostly, but sometimes I shoot in between cars when in traffic and stuff.

They don't know how lucky they are that I never miss.

jba
09-27-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow I have always done this exact thing, only with powers of 2 (2,4,8,16). I do this with cracks in the sidewalk or fence posts also. I also have a preference for the larger numbers -- I am happiest when walking along a fence where the fenceposts are 16 paces apart for example (even if 3 fenceposts = 16 paces, I will find that pattern, etc). when I am driving or riding in a car I will often twitch my toes 8 times between each lightpost, stuff like that too.

the funny thing is I can tell you exactly how many stairs are in every set of stairs I regularly climb -- figure that will come in handy when I finally go blind from jerkin off

Slow Play Ray
09-27-2005, 11:10 AM
clearly the best number for all patterns is 4.

do you see why?

jba
09-27-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, no I don't

Slow Play Ray
09-27-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, no I don't

[/ QUOTE ]

actually neither do i - it just is.

IndieMatty
09-27-2005, 11:30 AM
I can't believe no one has asked you if you have dumped her, because of her apparent lunacy.

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i hold the breath when car is passing a street light

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was gonna ask if anyone did breath-holding stuff. Some of those can get quite annoying when the release trigger takes longer to come around than you expected.

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has asked you if you have dumped her, because of her apparent lunacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a chick I hung out w/ a few times, not a gf or anything. I'll prob see her again, cuz she's cool.

J.A.Sucker
09-27-2005, 02:45 PM
I do all of these things. I also have to have the pillows oriented on the bed properly (open side to the outside of the bed). I'm a sick and tortured soul. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

IndieMatty
09-27-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a chick I hung out w/ a few times, not a gf or anything. I'll prob see her again, cuz she's cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you are in love. And typing like a 14 yr old girl in a chatroom...

not that I'd know anything about what they type like or anything.

mslif
09-27-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's disturbing

VBM
09-27-2005, 03:04 PM
i don't do this, but when I drive I do try to dodge raised bumps ("turtles") that separate lanes. When I go over too many, it bothers me to an unreasonable degree.

Also, when I wash my hands in public places;
A. I despise the hand blowers
B. With paper towels, i will grab paper towels with the water running, dry my hands, push the lever down with the paper towel (such that there is no direct contact), and open the door, w/ the paper towel, then throw it away.

IndieMatty
09-27-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's disturbing

[/ QUOTE ]

A/S/L?

mslif
09-27-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's disturbing

[/ QUOTE ]

A/S/L?

[/ QUOTE ]

27/F/Denver you?

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
27/F/Denver you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too old for me.

Duke
09-27-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace clicking the teeth with flexing the hamstring in the leg "on that side" (so as to tighten the tendons behind the knee) or both of them if a line defined by the placement of my knees travels through said gap.

~D

IndieMatty
09-27-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's disturbing

[/ QUOTE ]

A/S/L?

[/ QUOTE ]

27/F/Denver you?

[/ QUOTE ]

16/m/ny; You like younger guys?

<font color="white"> Please don't respond to this, I thought the ASL was rather funny, and trying to come up with an answer to the straight up answer you gave was hard enough </font>

bravos1
09-27-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
27/F/Denver you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too old for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

edtost
09-27-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i usually imagine them as laser beams coming from single points on the tires and wonder what types of patterns they make as the tires rotate.

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A. I despise the hand blowers

[/ QUOTE ]

You should check out the new Xcelerator (or something like that) blowers popping up in a lot of places. They rule.

[ QUOTE ]

B. With paper towels, i will grab paper towels with the water running, dry my hands, push the lever down with the paper towel (such that there is no direct contact), and open the door, w/ the paper towel, then throw it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is all very reasonable, of course. The paper towel things that have levers on them suck, the ones where you can just pull out the towels are much better, though the automatic dispensers are of course best. Your bathroom door system is of course standard, but it's so much better when there is either no door or you can just kick it open.

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
27/F/Denver you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too old for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was that funny? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Stuey
09-27-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
27/F/Denver you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too old for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was that funny? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because when she was young enough for you she was still to smart for you. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
09-27-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because when she was young enough for you she was still to smart for you. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously true. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit: ...not to mention way too beautiful.

09-27-2005, 04:57 PM
I can't stop playing with chips at live games

theTourne
09-28-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also do the laser thing, or sometimes I just imagine that somebody really fast is jumping off of the little roadside things you see and keeping up with the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do that one too. I didn't have a skateboarder following on the power lines like a couple earlier posters, there was a guy jumping from street sign, to billboard, to building roof, etc. He always had to find the next surface to land on to keep up.

The other thing I would do in the car is figure out when the front edge of the car would intersect the oncoming electric poles from my perspective, then close my eyes whenever they cross so that I would never see the intersection.

[ QUOTE ]

wow I have always done this exact thing, only with powers of 2 (2,4,8,16). I do this with cracks in the sidewalk or fence posts also. I also have a preference for the larger numbers -- I am happiest when walking along a fence where the fenceposts are 16 paces apart for example (even if 3 fenceposts = 16 paces, I will find that pattern, etc). when I am driving or riding in a car I will often twitch my toes 8 times between each lightpost, stuff like that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I also do my multiples of 4 thing with fence posts, cracks, number of windows in a building, etc.

This thread makes me feel kind of good, but also less unique.

theTourne
09-28-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Another quirky thing I do is I'll say the letters in sentences in multiples of four and hope that the last letter of the sentence ends in a multiple of 4. So if I see the phrase "makes your teeth whiter" on TV I'll get quirky because as I say them four at a time (spaces count as letters) I still have two letters left. I move my fingers along with this as if I'm typing it out. I get restless if the phrase doesn't end in the multiple of four or three or whatever so I'll add punctuation which count as extraneous letters to make the letters "fit"

[/ QUOTE ]

You count spaces?! [censored] psycho.

RacersEdge
09-28-2005, 12:39 PM
I know wht you mean - Jack Nicholson's character did it in As Good As It Gets. I happen to have some OCD - but I don't do that one.

danderso8
09-28-2005, 09:34 PM
When i was a kid, i used to draw an imaginary line through the corner of the duct that ran along the ceiling and into the corner of the room. I'd make a second line as well using some other markers and position myself so that i could look down both lines without moving my head. I thought it was neat to know that my head was in the exact same place as it had been before.

--dan

Sully
09-28-2005, 11:17 PM
I have always been a stair counter. I usually go up them two at a time, and don't like to do a "one step" if the flight of stairs turns at an odd number, so I have to to a big step around the turn to keep my pace steady. To avoid having to do that, I will make my first step onto a familiar flight of odd-numbered stairs only one step, instead of two, so that I don't have to do anything crazy when I get to the top of the flight. I still know exatly how many stairs are in every house I have lived in or building I have worked.

Also, I have to make sure that my turn signal flashes in groups of four. If I accidentally go to five, I have to correct it with one quick blink the opposite direction to "fix" it.

I also have to count bumps when I'm skiing moguls, and count groups of steps when I'm jogging.