PDA

View Full Version : The water we drink.

Stuey
09-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I have been trying to decide if it is important what type of water I drink.

I have come to the conclusion that the human body is the best water filter around so I can put in plain tap water and everything will be ok. As long as there is no disease causing bacteria in the water my health should not be affected much in the short or long term if I stick with cheap boring tap water.

I'm not saying I am right just saying that after reading and trying every idea about water that is the conclusion I have reached. I am still open to changing my mind so tell me if I am way off here.

Anyway the reason for this post is as I was trying all the different ideas I read about I found a weird one I really liked. It was from a PH based diet and they say you need to have the proper PH in your water for a healthy body.

I don't really buy that as I think you body self regulates its PH very well all by itself but I tried it anyway to see how it felt. They say to add baking soda to reverse osmosis water to get the "perfect" water. So I did this and I did not notice any positive health benefits. However I like the taste and I find it easier to drink the amount of water I know I need on a daily basis this way. It seems less filling or I just like the taste and want to drink it I don't really know.

So finally my question.

I am drinking about 10-12 large glasses of this stuff and each glass has like 2 teaspoons of baking soda in it. Is this much baking soda good for a person?

Yah I'm the weirdest guy you could ever want to meet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slow Play Ray
09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yah I'm the weirdest guy you will ever want to meet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to meet you.

swede123
09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
If the tap water tastes OK it's probably fine to drink. Usually if it's too much chlorine or too much minerals or whatever it tastes like crap, but if not you're good to go.

Swede

SpearsBritney
09-26-2005, 06:23 PM
just stay away from salt and vinegar chips

09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
This diet seems like absolute garbage. The body contains buffers whose function is to regulate pH even when there is a presence of extra acidity or it becomes more basic. This is done through H+ donation or absorbtion which chemcially regulates. This diet therefore probably does nothing.

Edit: I see you kind of already know its useless, but I'll just reiterate.

Stuey
09-26-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yah I'm the weirdest guy you will ever want to meet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to meet you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you ever wanted to meet a weird person I'm the weirdest you would ever want to meet. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stuey
09-26-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This diet seems like absolute garbage. The body contains buffers whose function is to regulate pH even when there is a presence of extra acidity or it becomes more basic. This is done through H+ donation or absorbtion which chemcially regulates. This diet therefore probably does nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this but I tried the water part of it to see if I liked it. And I like it I like the taste of the water so I just want to know if it could be bad for me eating so much baking soda on a daily basis and all.

What if I get kidney stones!! rofl /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2+2 wannabe
09-26-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Skip Brutale
09-26-2005, 06:44 PM
I hear tap water is dirty. So I only drink red wine, beer, and energy drinks.

theben
09-26-2005, 06:48 PM
my fav. water: evian or smart water

Onaflag
09-26-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my fav. water: evian or smart water

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose evian spelled backwards is old by now. Nevertheless, I think buying water is the most ridiculous thing a person can spend money on. I hate buying it for my daughter, but she's brainwashed like most of you who buy it.

I have an under-the-sink filter (can't say purifier in California, it's illegal) that does a fine job. Highly recommended.

Onaflag.........

Supersetoy
09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I suppose evian spelled backwards is old by now. Nevertheless, I think buying water is the most ridiculous thing a person can spend money on. I hate buying it for my daughter, but she's brainwashed like most of you who buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of that evian backwards thing before. However, I buy my bottled waters so I can have a couple of them with me at work. We don't have a "water cooler" here, and if we did, I'd be too lazy to get up and fill my glass anyway.

I use each bottle about 3 times (refill it with tap when I get home and throw it in the fridge) but after that many uses, the rim begins to smell (like food, because I don't brush my teeth while at work).

I used to work for a .com (sharebuilder.com) and we got free talking rain, apple juice and orange juice. That was the life.

manpower
09-26-2005, 09:24 PM
I drink tap. It's the tits. If you think there's any benefit to drinking bottled, then the terrorists have won.

wacki
09-26-2005, 09:42 PM
*Wacki shakes head*

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=exchange&Number=23387 92&Searchpage=1&Main=2338792&Words=strange+wacki&t opic=&Search=true#Post2338792

Stuey
09-26-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I drink tap. It's the tits. If you think there's any benefit to drinking bottled, then the terrorists have won.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but I still want my silly question answered.

Is baking soda harmful when taken in large quantities and over a long period of time? Or can you like eat a whole box everyday for 15 years with no problems?

I know you can bake with it so I know it is edible but sugar is edible also and you don't go eating 20 teaspoons a day.

I didn't want to come right out and ask, as it is a dumb question.

wacki
09-26-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Rent that video I linked to. It's available at blockbuster.

2) Take more biology.

Thythe
09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However I like the taste and I find it easier to drink the amount of water I know I need on a daily basis this way.

I am drinking about 10-12 large glasses of this stuff and each glass has like 2 teaspoons of baking soda in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a person needs 10-12 large glasses of water each day.

wacki
09-26-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone, but some do. I am one of those.

Sooga
09-26-2005, 10:48 PM
General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Lord, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. Nineteen forty-six, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

09-26-2005, 10:51 PM
American tap water > Any Mexican water

gorie
09-26-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol.

Stuey
09-26-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Rent that video I linked to. It's available at blockbuster.

2) Take more biology.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info and I am going to try and figure this out but sometimes I still don't get it right.

Just to be sure tell me if I’m way wrong here.

1. Baking soda is non-harmful go to town on it if that gives you a thrill?

2. Drink the best water you can. Reverse osmosis or distilled, as you can never be sure what trace elements you are getting in other sources and the risk is an unnecessary one so just don't take it. ?

Am I close at least?

I plan on getting the video also and again thanks for try to get me straightened away. I can be difficult I know but I'm really trying here. It's bloody embarrassing for me to admit I am having trouble finding the truth in all this. But for some reason I think it is worth it. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wacki
09-26-2005, 11:22 PM
1) - dunno don't care. You can overdose on everything even water.

2) - good water is essential IMO. RO is good.

Thythe
09-26-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a person who doesn't appear to need much daily water, describe what happens if you don't get that much water in a day?

Stuey
09-26-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a person who doesn't appear to need much daily water, describe what happens if you don't get that much water in a day?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mistake thurst for hunger and you eat to much.

I don't need 10-12 every single day but somedays when I exercise hard I need it.

wacki
09-26-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't peeing clear or light yellow, you aren't drinking enough. Simple as that. Your kidneys are a FILTER. They need water to work properly. The rest is intuitive.

Not being rude, just short on time.

wacki out for the night.

mike l.
09-26-2005, 11:50 PM
the water we drink is very bad for us mainly because it's almost all full of flouride which is poison.

wacki
09-27-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the water we drink is very bad for us mainly because it's almost all full of flouride which is poison.

[/ QUOTE ]

You read too many health nut websites. Tap (and bottled) water can have serious amounts of toxic chemicals in it but flouride is rarely one of them.

tonypaladino
09-27-2005, 03:10 AM
I drink tons of water every day, 10 liters at the bare minimum, and usually around 15.

I drink plain tap water all the time, but I really don't consider bottled water a rip off, you are paying for the convinience.

I'd much rather pay $2 for a small bottle in Central Park than drink from one of those skanky drinking fountains.

I also would not drink tap water where I used to work, because it tasted terrible, likely the building's ancient plumbling had some problems.

If the water tastes okay, it's okay.

On the ph issue, I just learned in my Environmental Science class today, between naps, that if the human body is not within its normal ph range (i think like 7.4 - 7.9 off the top of my head), you will soon die. The body regulates its ph pretty well, as I don't think anyones ever died of a ph imbalance lately