PDA

View Full Version : $11,$22: starting hands

09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
a little history on me: over 1.5k $11 SNG's I have 20.2% ROI. well, I just popped up to $22's last night with a $440 br, and tooke a 10 buy in hit... and while Im determined to just grit my teeth and go on, it has made me rethink my game. I 3 table, using PT for all my reads really. my starting hand requirements need some retooling, I think. I've been raising 3xBB with the following hands starting at round 1: AKs AQs AK AQ KJs QJs. is this too loose? I think playing cash games brought this out.

Im also raising 4xbb with QQ JJ , with the intention of pushing AA-QQ.

do I go back to my old style of folding damn near everything up till round 4-5, or stick with this?

thanks for the input

syka16
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
it looks like you're doing well as it is. Why change?

09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
because Im wondering if its a leak. of course, it might just be that I lost 240 dollars in the last day, more than half my br.

pineapple888
09-26-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm having trouble making sense of your post, but it seems to go something like this:

- You had an approach that seemed to work well
- You changed that approach when you stepped up in limit
- You lost a bunch of money

And you are asking if you should go back to your old approach.

Gee, I don't know. But it sounds like it's worth a try.

citanul
09-26-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
because Im wondering if its a leak. of course, it might just be that I lost 240 dollars in the last day, more than half my br.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand why you changed your style from the one that got your where you were.

also, your bankroll is too small, which will compound psychological effects such as the "argh, i lost x% of my bankroll tonight" problems.

citanul

pergesu
09-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Yo with those stats you posted you've made $3300 playing the $11s. So you should be able to have an adequate roll for the $22s. But you have 20 buyins...which is waaaay too low. If you'll reload when you bust, fine no biggie, but if that's actually your roll it's a bad idea.

As others have said, if you've played a certain way and it's worked for 1500 tourneys, and you change it up and things go bad...it's probably a good idea to go back to the way that works.

09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
no, misread it. or more likely I mistyped it.

when I first started sng'ing, I would fold everything short of QQ levels 1-3, maybe 4. then I would open up.

then I dabbled in cash games, where I would open raise with things like JKs AQs or offsuit, and call with low pairs.

this has crept into my SNG game, and didnt seem to hurt it.
in round one I would raise to 45 with KJs-AQs, and medium pairs.

yesterday I went into $22s playing the same way, and lost 220. It made me rethink the way I was playing, and I found this as a potential leak.

there, is taht clearer?

thanks for the responses guys.

pineapple888
09-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Well, down 10 buyins could be anything.

But deep-stack cash games are a different game from SNG, and your current style seems ill-suited to SNG. Tighten up, bro.

The reasons have been explained extensively on this forum and in various poker books.

09-26-2005, 07:37 PM
yeah, thanks guys, I needed to read that, especially you citanul.

pergesu, I've been cashing out too much, I now undertand more about br management and I will give myself a better br to skim off of.

thanks guys.