PDA

View Full Version : I quit live poker.

Borno
09-26-2005, 05:19 PM
I quit live poker because I play mostly limit and I can only find no limit games that bring my heart rate up and make me feel cold and uncomfortable. I also hate the scene. I will continue to 5 table fixed limit online as I have been for a while now.

I will play live only if it is a for fun homegame that my friends (not my serious poker buddies) want to play in... i.e. to drink a few beers and shoot the [censored] for a $5 or $10 buy in.

I think this will slightly cut in to my poker earnings but I think I will be happier in general because it will mean i'm playing less poker, but more importantly it will remove me from that scene of addicted individuals. I will also no longer be held down to times when my local card rooms are open.

Playing online I do in the comfort of my home and easily go on auto-pilot w/ the hand rate being so fast. I get bored, loose, and as I previously mentioned just generally uncomfortable playing live.

Anyone else find this? quit playing live, you'll probably be able to make more online anyway with that time. While the players are CLEARLY worse live, I just don't enjoy it anymore (unless I'm with close friends).

OK. Now I'm beginning to slow down my obsession. That's the second step of my program. The first was playing only during times when I could be actually PAID to PLAY (i.e. bonus whoring).

Now I'm paid to play and am a +ev player. Time management, obsession, and poker. All tough issues to deal with.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for listening.

KidPokerX
09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
So i guess the WSOP is out of the question?
Sucks

09-26-2005, 06:10 PM
After getting used to 250 hands/hour I cannot stand to play 15-20 hands per hour.

Jacob_Gilliam
09-26-2005, 06:13 PM
You should try ritalin, it's great.

Kaeser
09-26-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't know I love playing live, limit or no limit. I play online some but it just doesn't match the experience. I guess if money's important to you then on-lines the way to go but it's a much more social experience for me.

Mr. Curious
09-26-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but more importantly it will remove me from that scene of addicted individuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that there are less addicted players online where poker action can be found 24/7?

LOL

All it does is hide them from your sight and put a little silly icon in their place.

09-27-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All it does is hide them from your sight and put a little silly icon in their place.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like this is no big deal, I see this as a huge bonus

09-27-2005, 02:22 AM
live tournaments are great. live cash games are annoying because the games aren't rake friendly and tipping is a bit@#. yeah, i'm cheap like dat.

Mr. Curious
09-27-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like this is no big deal, I see this as a huge bonus

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on the type of person that you are. I enjoy human interaction and do not label the people I play with as being addicts, etc. so playing with them has no bearing on my game.

Mr. Curious
09-27-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm beginning to slow down my obsession.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting word you choose to use. Could it be that you are afraid that you are addicted to playing poker and you think that only playing online will lessen that addiction?

Komodo
09-27-2005, 05:29 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
After getting used to 250 hands/hour I cannot stand to play 15-20 hands per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Ive never played live and Im not sure Ill ever will either. 20 hands/hour ugh!
I see many advantages to playing online
* faster pace
* no travel time
* Better table selection
* Play any time you want
* Play which stakes you want. In a small club, there is normally one or two tables open, so you cant choose which stakes.
* Quit whenever you want. Of course you can quit after half an hour but the other guys at the table will think you as a prick.

Edge34
09-27-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Ive never played live and Im not sure Ill ever will either. 20 hands/hour ugh!
I see many advantages to playing online
* faster pace
* no travel time
* Better table selection
* Play any time you want
* Play which stakes you want. In a small club, there is normally one or two tables open, so you cant choose which stakes.
* Quit whenever you want. Of course you can quit after half an hour but the other guys at the table will think you as a prick.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the biggest bonus to never playing live! None of that horrible social interaction!

09-27-2005, 12:10 PM
All of the reasons you mention are valid for online vs. live. The biggest reason you don't list:

Live players generally stink for the limits offered at B&amp;M /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

This has been discussed many times (levels of online compared to live, ie $.25/.50NL vs. $2/5 live).

If you have the bankroll you can overcome the travel, fewer hands/hr, tipping, etc. by waiting for bad players to make larger mistakes (not for $14.75 at the $25NL where I play online) but for $230 live. All it can take is one hand over a 3-4 hours session to make it all worth while.

09-27-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm beginning to slow down my obsession.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting word you choose to use. Could it be that you are afraid that you are addicted to playing poker and you think that only playing online will lessen that addiction?

[/ QUOTE ]

Techincally this could reduce the number of hours he must dedicate to poker.

Borno
09-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm not "addicted" in the clinical sense.. not by a long shot. I hardly study the game anymore and I play at most 5-10 hours per week and that is only for the first 2 weeks of the month when I clear bonuses...

I just don't want poker being such a large part of my life that I talk about it all the time.

I also get my fix MUCH better by playing 1 hour 5 tabling online than I do after 3 or 4 hours of playing live. What does this mean? I'm really not sure.. but I know the feeling of satisfaction is much more pronounced after multitabling.

Borno
09-27-2005, 06:02 PM
putting an icon in their place.. AND the biggest bonus of it.. I play 5 tables so I don't much concentrate on the real addicts or giant losers.. I notice certain things.. but I am so busy interacting with other games I can't spend too much time thinking about it.

Also online there are sooo many players at the low stakes that I play that I rarely see the same people over and over again.. and I certainly have no human element w/ them. For all my brain knows I'm playing against a computer winnings virtual credits. No human element is awesome for me.

If I want social interaction while playing poker it will be while playing with my friends for FUN. social interaction at the card table as a thinking player frequently affects your win rate anyway

Kaeser
09-27-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... social interaction at the card table as a thinking player frequently affects your win rate anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

That I can agree with, though probably not the way it was meant.

SheetWise
09-27-2005, 11:20 PM
I see poker as a live game. Online poker is like playing 21 -- getting in hours. I'm tired of that game. Poker (to me) is not about hours, it's about picking games.

Quality of life = play poker a while, live a lot = Often times moving up in stakes = Have a BR

As you say, "While the players are CLEARLY worse live ..." -- Personal preference.

09-28-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...social interaction at the card table as a thinking player frequently affects your win rate anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you brought this up. It's why I usually dislike playing B&amp;M games with people I know.